Some advice re. TWIN sidedraft webers on stock G161???

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
HJHooch
Chatterbox

Some advice re. TWIN sidedraft webers on stock G161???

Post by HJHooch »

My brother is insisting that I go for these: TWIN 45 sidedraft Webers - whole tuned setup -manifold, choke/etc. from a worked TE G161 off a friend for $800.
For the TX that I'm restoring (1 owner from the factory circa 1975 - owner manual, service book rust free & MINT interior 8) )
Apart from the stainless steel 2 inch exhaust with extractors I've made up to replace the original exhaust that snapped in half when we pulled it off, the Car is stock as a rock.
The engine 60 000 K's on it.

Would that even be worth doing for an unworked engine (pre ADR) ?
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Re: Some advice re. TWIN sidedraft webers on stock G161???

Post by GEMWRC »

chuck some pics up .
Its a bit over kill for a stock 40 year old 1.6L . The car will run , you will get a small improvement but its going to a hell of a lot more fuel than it does now.
You might need to fit smaller chokes in .. But really you should do some engine/cylinder head work to make the most out of the carbs ...
If your car is a real pearler it might be best left stock . Tough decision thats for sure .
pics
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Conventional wisdom would would lean against the idea. But you never know.

The twin 45's will allow a lot of flow but if the head, cam, valves and exhaust system are constricted the full benefit will not be there.

Also a lot depends on the chokes that are fitted to the Weber 45s. if they are as small as 28mm it might all work but if they are 34mm it is going to be difficult to tune to a stock 1600 and the car might actually be slower in the low and mid range.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I agree with these guys. I had cray ideas in my head of doing this to my junk box motor.
Without the required things (as the boys above have mentioned) no point.

Tell old mate $500 and I'll them for my twincam
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
OldTD

Post by OldTD »

Hello,

Even with a stock motor, there will be a significant difference. More with other changes. Do you have the remote brake booster ? I once had a Side draft set, the manifold was very badly made. The CDT down-draft set-up was far better. No issues with surge when cornering.
Regards Chris

Original owner of a 79 TD
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Definitely overkill. I mean, you could put them on, but as mentioned it'll be hard to tune and probably slower til around 4-5k, then past that the head/cam won't breathe enough anyway. If you put a monster cam in with it and maybe tidied up the ports a little it'd be a different story. Even so, twin 40's are enough for most 2L's, let alone a 1.6. If you wanted to swap those twin 45s for twin 40's I have a pair I could swap, but they're not for sale as such, just swaps...

The big questions is what do you wan to do with the car? Cruise? Daily? Bit of fun here and there? Designated thrash/fun car? Designated track car with full build later on?
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
OldTD

Post by OldTD »

Hello,

It is worth getting the Carbs, even if you only use 1 with a suitable manifold. They can be choked down to run correctly. When I put twin 40's on an 1800 it ran fine, with a large power increase. The twin side draft manifold needs a spacer under the thermostat cover. This can have the temp sender fitted, and a heater hose connection. Far less risk than drilling a badly made manifold as some have done.
Regards Chris

Original owner of a 79 TD
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The selection of DCOE body size is almost irrelevant. The main thing is to select the choke/venturi size. Then pick a body to suit.

DCOE 45 chokes are available down to 28mm and DCOE 40 chokes can go down to 24mm though 26mm is more commonly available. On the upper end you can get up to 36mm chokes for a DCOE 40 and up to 40mm chokes for a DCOE 45.

The conventional wisdom is that 36mm chokes run better in a DCOE 45 than a DCOE 40 and 28mm chokes probably run better in a DCOE40 (however seen a couple of DCOE 45 singles on mini's running 28mm). For 30mm to 34mm chokes either is good although my personal preference no bigger that 32mm chokes in a DCOE40
Javi
Regular

Post by Javi »

Unless you're going to up the compression significantly, put a decently large cam in it, and do significant work to the ports, you'll be wasting your time and money. The cost to benefit will lean waayyy toward the 'cost' side of things, with a disproportionately small benefit.

I mean, it'll sound cool, I guess?
troyrotor wrote:ozgem classifieds - for all your mowing needs