Race Car Update...

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Race Car Update...

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Yep thought I would chuck up a few photos of the gunna setup for the race car...

So it's a D1 / E1 head EFI, VN throttle body with T28 water air intercooler and a very short intake path after I fabricate a 110 degree elbow.

Once the blocks back together some bigger injectors and sort out a ECU.
- next incarnation will be flat top pistons, closed chamber head and a T03 or GT series turbo.

Comments / critique are welcome as I still haven't worked out if I need a BOV or where to put it.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#Turbocoupe75
F3ARED

Re: Race Car Update...

Post by F3ARED »

Ive honestly never used a BOV, and never had any mechanical failures relating to a turbo. Fit one if you want, but personally i think they are a waste of time. If you had to fit one i think your only option would be on the alloy bend/elbow joining turbo to intercooler.

What bottom end are you using this thing on, and dont you have to use a restrictor to stay within IPRA rules?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Cool!
Should update the build thread.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

F3ARED wrote:Ive honestly never used a BOV, and never had any mechanical failures relating to a turbo. Fit one if you want, but personally i think they are a waste of time. If you had to fit one i think your only option would be on the alloy bend/elbow joining turbo to intercooler.

What bottom end are you using this thing on, and dont you have to use a restrictor to stay within IPRA rules?
D1 bottom end. Bit of a waste going 2.6 with a restrictor, which will be fitted when the car and driver are ready for some track time.

As for the BOV, after much internet exploring I am not going to use one, people who sell them have profit to make so they tell you there essential, but from what ive read mechanical failure is only an issue on high boost or larger turbos, ( impeller size stress would be proportionally greater with a diameter increase in the compressor wheel when it comes to compressor surge or stalling).
With a Restrictor it's unlikely I will make over 16-18psi at full noise.
#Turbocoupe75
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Personally i think the whole thing is a bit bulls*#t. Put your finger through the impeller at 18psi, will your finger slow the impeller down? Didnt think so. lol Most modern turbos, OEM or otherwise, of reputable manufacture, have enough R&D behind them that this sort of thing wont phase them in the slightest.

While i remember, looking at your fuel rail - RB26 GTR injectors are a drop in swap.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Agree re bov - infact in my experience you're introducing another potential failure point (for compressor surge / boost leaks)

One critique I have- piss off the t28 and don't even think about a t03. These turbos are so dinosaur you could make some oil if you covered them in dirt for a few nights.

Get a proper huffer - this and your head is where you make power.

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

DR_GEM wrote: One critique I have- piss off the t28 and don't even think about a t03. These turbos are so dinosaur you could make some oil if you covered them in dirt for a few nights.
Get a proper huffer - this and your head is where you make power.
Mick
Lol I did think this but didn't want to say anything incase that's a requirement of his race class?
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Good point I didn't consider that but ipra rules aren't that restrictive

If it's a cost thing, grab a holset hx35 or borg warner s256 and be done with it
Mick
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

DR_GEM wrote:Good point I didn't consider that but ipra rules aren't that restrictive

If it's a cost thing, grab a holset hx35 or borg warner s256 and be done with it
Mick
Ha, the T28 is "NEW" I bought it in 2008.... never used I can use any turbo that I want but will still need a restrictior to keep it IP Legal.
Plan is to get it going the change over to a larger item, this is a budget build for now but with a bit more power it will be great for hill climbing.

The RB26 injectors seem like a good choice, theres also a Mazda 13B 550cc option as well, hopefully there E85 compatible.

As for a larger Turbo I have NFI what would be suitable.

Cheers
#Turbocoupe75
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Fair enough

If it's a Garrett t28 ball bearing (so many variants of a t28 so would be good to know what specifically it is) then that's ok

I Have a spare set of 13b 550cc injectors you can have cheap if you like. They need new seals and pintles but they're pretty cheap to get

Mick
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Also happy to assist with turbo selection - tell me your restrictions and objectives and I will provide some guidance
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

It's a bush bearing Garrett T28, was going on a draw through set up....
I'll let you know about the injectors in a couple of months..

Cheers
#Turbocoupe75
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Oh draw through - that changes things. I would stick to the t28 for now until you convert to injected.
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Nononono

Was.... once upon a time the t28 was going on a draw though setup, not anymore!! I'm much wiser now and it's going on the E1/d1 with injection and the water air intercooler.
I even had a carbon seal done... it will get me going for now.
#Turbocoupe75
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Ok that's good- do you know what type of t28 it is? Front wheel dimensions? Rear housing? Is it an ns111 turbine wheel or old school 28 t series turbine?

From there we can determine a few other things