Turbo Hyperthetical

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Yer I dont think he will let me take the turbo off but it sounds like a good idea.

I mean for $300 it will cost maybe a grand to rebuild and I am happy as larry with a new motor so it aint to much hassle.

But I dont really feel like re building the motor just yet.
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

what type of motor is it? (sorry if this has already been asked)
gene wrote:Lok for mod………………… HAHAHAAHAHA not realy???? LOL. When hell freezes over and cocks fall from the heavens
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Its stock as rock with an auto attached.

The only missing part is the loom it has the ECU etc just no loom.

I have a couple of looms here any way so its no biggy.

I also have a CA18DE stocko so worst case scenario is it is blown and I change it over for the DE while it is re built.

I think he just pulled it out with the s*)ts and upgrade to an SR or similiar.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

CA18DET
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

hmm i say grab it for 3hunge... if you need one I know of a fully reco CA sellin for about 2k its a DET model, no turbo or anything...

so 300 for one is pretty good.
gene wrote:Lok for mod………………… HAHAHAAHAHA not realy???? LOL. When hell freezes over and cocks fall from the heavens
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Yer i am more than most likely.

Just looking for some pointers on what to look for when I go there and check it out.
isuzu_gem
Regular

Post by isuzu_gem »

sniper007 wrote:Yer i am more than most likely.

Just looking for some pointers on what to look for when I go there and check it out.
check for oil in the dump pipe, excessive oil in the inlet track, ask to pull a spark plug out and see how it looks like lean or ritch or built up oil deposits,
What about all the good things Hitler did!
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Why has it no loom? Was that salvaged to fire up the replacement in the same car is it?

By stock as a rock, you mean right down to the ECU being a stock original too... not aftermarket?

No matter how good a bargain, I'd be sceptical if the seller wouldn't let me unbolt the turbo (knowing it's in need of fixing/replacing) when the engine is out on the floor and it had been belching oil smoke because that could mean the engine was damaged too. It's a CA18DET, T standing for IMPORTED and parts may not be easy to get in Australia.

Do some homework before you race out and start trying to repair it.
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

huh? T stands for turbo, and have you looked at a australian road lately? theres almost as many silvia's around as there is commodores....

they're everywhere....
PSI-26L
Regular

Post by PSI-26L »

LOL @ Poida. CA18DET engines are available everywhere! Parts are just as common as any isuzu engine - and as far as i new the T stands for turbo.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

I know it stands for TURBO, I was being sarcastic. They were all imports though were they not? As far as I am aware that engine wasn't fitted to any Australian built cars. Parts are often different in the import models and that's where you come into problems. Pistons for example, who supplies pistons off the shelf? Chances are high that you'll be wanting new pistons if anything has been through the engine.
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

poida, im sure there are more than enough shops willing to supply you with new CA18DET pistons, I can make a phone call and find out for QLD supplier if you really want to know...
PSI-26L
Regular

Post by PSI-26L »

piston are available of the shelf everywhere for the CA18DET
Crumz

Post by Crumz »

Poida wrote:I know it stands for TURBO, I was being sarcastic. They were all imports though were they not? As far as I am aware that engine wasn't fitted to any Australian built cars. Parts are often different in the import models and that's where you come into problems. Pistons for example, who supplies pistons off the shelf? Chances are high that you'll be wanting new pistons if anything has been through the engine.
Its a CA18 poida, you'll find more off the shelf parts for them then you will Gemini's on the road.
SR20 forged pistons from coventrie go for around $400 a SET they are that common, and the CA is the SR's little brother.
Another Quality Post by Crumz

Fix the roads, not the fines.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Hey I don't need pistons...

As far as I was aware both the CA18DET and the SR20DET were BOTH imported and none were released here in local production. As for the pistons in the CA18DE and SR20DE (locally produced engines) the pistons are significantly different. Not saying they may not be used but I imagine there would be a fair cost involved to fit the 2.0 litre piston in the 1.8 litre engine.

I wasn't making argument, just making some suggestions.