thrust bearing?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
reaper5054
Regular

thrust bearing?

Post by reaper5054 »

can anyone tell me where the thrust bearing is located?

Cheers..........
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

On the tube coming off the drive gear bearing retainer around the input shaft pushing against the springs on the clutch pressure plate..
Last edited by Bugle on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

jsut start the enigne and listen for the squealing sort of noise coming from the bellhousing that goes away when you push the clutch, thats your thrust bearing. Its common on about 90% of gemini's :lol:
Gem_Kid
Long Term Member

Post by Gem_Kid »

Gemi Coupe wrote:jsut start the enigne and listen for the squealing sort of noise coming from the bellhousing that goes away when you push the clutch, thats your thrust bearing. Its common on about 90% of gemini's :lol:
lol so true. factory faULT?!? LOL

woops caps
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

But that thrust bearing is only put to use when you step on the clutch.. I think you mean the drive gear bearing. That's the one that usually makes noise and will stop spinning when you put the clutch in.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

Bugle wrote:But that thrust bearing is only put to use when you step on the clutch.. I think you mean the drive gear bearing. That's the one that usually makes noise and will stop spinning when you put the clutch in.
u mean the "spiggot" bearing??

the thrust bearing is the one that takes the weight of the pressure plate off the clutch.. it slides onto the outter shaft comign out of the gearbox. normally has 3 wire lookign clips holdign it on.

the spiggot bearing, holds the gearbox spindle ( or drive shaft ) in the center of the flywheel and if a real kent to get out.. lol

normally if one is to ggo it will be the thrust bearing..
Boostin for lyfe!
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

Mine is noisy...fairly noisy.

Question: Will it just be noisy and annoying or will something bad happen if i dont fix it?
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Buggzy wrote:
Bugle wrote:But that thrust bearing is only put to use when you step on the clutch.. I think you mean the drive gear bearing. That's the one that usually makes noise and will stop spinning when you put the clutch in.
u mean the "spiggot" bearing??

the thrust bearing is the one that takes the weight of the pressure plate off the clutch.. it slides onto the outter shaft comign out of the gearbox. normally has 3 wire lookign clips holdign it on.

the spiggot bearing, holds the gearbox spindle ( or drive shaft ) in the center of the flywheel and if a real kent to get out.. lol

normally if one is to ggo it will be the thrust bearing..
I mean the thrust bearing. If you're not operating the clutch it's not actually doing anything is it since it's not pushing on the pressure plate springs so how can it make a noise? You would think the noise would get louder if you push the pedal..
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

when the clutch is fully out, the throw out bearing (or thrust bearing)is only barely contacting the spinning pressure plate fingers, causing the noise. the easiest way to fix it, without removing and replacing it, Is to fit the factory return spring from the clutch fork to the side of the box, It will pull the bearing out of contact with the pressure plate, reducing noise and wear.
mmc88463
n00b

Re: thrust bearing?

Post by mmc88463 »

Is it possible to put the thrust bearing on backwards, and if so will it still work

Sent from my ZTE Blade A462 using Tapatalk
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Yes it is possible to fit backwards and no it it won't work (but it will make a terrible noise)

My kids are the kings and queen of destroying thrust bearings because they all drive with their left foot resting lightly on the clutch pedal. What they are doing is keeping the thrust bearing in contact with the pressure plate full time - and the bearing can't take that.

The bearings get noisy and then they sieze. On the way to siezure they root the fingers on the pressure plate.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

I'm notoriously bad for that to :(
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw