Installing headunit into gem

Questions about Car Audio
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Well you're right about that, and that's half the point of a fuse... But consider this. My mate's starter motor +12V shorted on his body when he was driving. Ofcourse there's no fuse there. Straight short, and the car completely died. No lights, no dash lights, no spark, thus car stalled and rolled to a halt without warning.

Took em a good hour or so I'd say, for them to look at it for awhile, give up, tried jump starting it (melted the jumper leads) call the RAA not knowing wtf happened, then realise it was shorting...

No fire. Not saying it can't happen, but in all honesty its not very likely.

Disclaimer: Fuses are still a good idea. And put them as close to the battery as possible, as has been said.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

that just means that there was nothing around the point of arcing that could burn easily. (or s*#t doesn't burn :P )

I had the starter solenoid wire (someone fitted an extra solenoid in the engine bay, powered from the starter strap) short out against the firewall of the car just below where the clutch cable comes out, and it caught fire. there is still a scorch mark there now, and that was 5 years ago.
the only reason i saw that and didn't lose the car in a smoking heap is coz i was over the bay while someone else was cranking.

all fuses should be as close as possible to the power supply.
If you want to have a big fat gold fuse next to your amp, there is no danger in running 2 fuses, but you should probably make the 'show fuse' a higher rating, so it doesn't blow, and the one at the battery is the weak point.

all cabling should be run through grommets if passed through metal paneling, the vibrations from a idling engine is enough to cause a wire to rub through after a decent amount of time
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Now the eternal question... How the f**k do I fit my 120A cable into this pissy little fuse holder I bought... LOL

Oh well, I'll just have to massacre the cable down to size... Still get less voltage drop! :)
yldgem
Long Term Member

Post by yldgem »

archangel62 wrote:Now the eternal question... How the f**k do I fit my 120A cable into this pissy little fuse holder I bought... LOL

Oh well, I'll just have to massacre the cable down to size... Still get less voltage drop! :)
NO! get the right sized one
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

You find me a 12mm diameter fuseholder and I'll happily use it :P

Cutting the wire down to size is fine it just drops the power rating of the wire.
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

dont be a noob go to jaycar and buy the 120 amp circut breaker and problem solved no need to buy fuses ever!
pig75
Regular

Post by pig75 »

archangel62 wrote:You find me a 12mm diameter fuseholder and I'll happily use it :P

Cutting the wire down to size is fine it just drops the power rating of the wire.
Have a look here
http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-AP462-ANL ... /ap462.htm
ISUZU MU's and GEMINI's
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
TE_SOUND_VAN

Post by TE_SOUND_VAN »

i have 3 200amp fuse holders in my car and the take 0guage cable. dont no wat the size difference is between that and 120A cable but i do know its the biggest cable they make for car stereos. there about 50 bucks for the holder and the fuse which is about the same as a curcuit breaker.

as for butin the fuse next to the battery
ive done many of stereos and even when iv had shortin probs its never burnt nething to the ground.
which makes sense for most cars come out with fuse boxes in the car. not near battery. as long as there is a fuse on the cable.

as soon as the power peaks it blows the fuse. the power moves at like spead of light. so it dont matter where it is on the cable by the time the fuse blows its made it pretty well all the way along.
even if u run 120amps of power through a 20 amp cable with a 20 amp fuse it will heat the cable but blow the fuse befor the it burns the car to the ground.

the main reasons for cars burning to the ground are either incorect fusing (ie. 20 amp cable 40 amp fuse. cable melts shorts sparks and burns before theres 2much power to blow the fuse)
and no fuse.

well thats my 2 cents worthlol
peace dan
booosty
Regular

Post by booosty »

your all pretty stuiped
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

how am i stupid?
kizza
Regular

Post by kizza »

TE_SOUND_VAN wrote:

as for butin the fuse next to the battery
ive done many of stereos and even when iv had shortin probs its never burnt nething to the ground.
which makes sense for most cars come out with fuse boxes in the car. not near battery. as long as there is a fuse on the cable.

thats why you have a fusable link thats within 30cm of the battery on the accessorys wire on the gemini.

you are not understanding the basics.

if the cable shorts out between the battery and the fuse it will not blow the fuse unless the wire is part of a complete curcuit.

if you are running an amp and the amp is ON the fuse will blow.
if the amp is OFF and there is a short, the fuse will not blow.
booosty
Regular

Post by booosty »

SICKTG wrote:how am i stupid?
i read your post - your not

most others cant understand how if an unfused battery link shorts against any part of the body it will overheat melt the shielding and most probably catch on fire. if you dont believe me go to the insurance auctions and buy your self a cheap electrical write-off from when one of you 12v masters has attemped spotlights or amp into cars everything off the battery or ignition etc (high amp curcuits) should have a fuse on it as close as possible to the source of power not the other end and select and appropriate gauge wire and fuse for the load you are running
monsta_gemmi
Chatterbox

Post by monsta_gemmi »

just a lil note that i learnt recently, i had my head unit running off the old radio wiring, and discovered that i would blow fuses daily, after 2 weeks of this i ran the whole car over with a test light and found that my head unit was drawing too much current blowing the fuses, as when i turned it past 18 id blow fuses. so if you are intending on running decent speakers i say run a nice thick wire direct from the battery, and yes with the fuse close to the battery.
Lil Willsy
A Nice Guy

Post by Lil Willsy »

bit late to post but...... WHATEVER YOU DO, IF YOU ARE MAKING A NEW EARTH...MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO ID PLATES ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE FIRE WALL!!!!! i had a td that some jeriactric fool had put a techy straight through the vin plate...
TD. daily.
TE 2dr
Kevin wills 6/7/08

I Don't Like Hills...
nos72
n00b

Post by nos72 »

booosty wrote:
SICKTG wrote:how am i stupid?
i read your post - your not

most others cant understand how if an unfused battery link shorts against any part of the body it will overheat melt the shielding and most probably catch on fire. if you dont believe me go to the insurance auctions and buy your self a cheap electrical write-off from when one of you 12v masters has attemped spotlights or amp into cars everything off the battery or ignition etc (high amp curcuits) should have a fuse on it as close as possible to the source of power not the other end and select and appropriate gauge wire and fuse for the load you are running
ive seen a car burn because of an unfused battery link.. the dude learnt his lesson