Head unit not playing radio

Questions about Car Audio
jimmymeik89
Regular

Head unit not playing radio

Post by jimmymeik89 »

Hey guys,

pulled the head unit out a couple of months ago to give it to a mate but wasnt same size as his head unit recess, so it was put back in my car and since has had no radio.

i have replaced the fuse in the back of the head unit and in the fuse box also. the AUX and CD player work fine but when i try the radio it gives me no love.

i did put in a new aerial too, but still no good.

Help?? :)

Cheers

James

P.S the head unit wasnt plugged into my mates car at all.
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

the contacts inside the back of it going to the aerial socket is probably broken. if you're any good with your hands, and the head unit is old enough for it not to have warranty, pull it apart and see what you can figure out.

alternatively, give it to someone that can fix stuff like that.

my guess is someone dropped it, or reefed the plug out of the back of it too hard.

also, what brand is it?
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
jimmymeik89
Regular

head

Post by jimmymeik89 »

yeh it was installed in 2008, its a sony Xplod with front AUX. my mate loves breaking s*#t on my car so it wouldnt suprise me if he dropped it :P i just had another fiddle with it before and heard the radio very faintly when the sound was all the way up but was very static..

if i cant fix it i may have to throw it at a wall.. :D

cheers for the info.

James
stock_gem
Regular

Re: head

Post by stock_gem »

jimmymeik89 wrote:...and heard the radio very faintly when the sound was all the way up but was very static..
that definitely sounds like the contacts have broken off the plug inside the unit.
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
jimmymeik89
Regular

head

Post by jimmymeik89 »

cheers for that, ill give it a crack.

ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers
AnddMack
Regular

Post by AnddMack »

funny u say this , cause i also have a sony xplode and it does the exacct same thing..... it does come and go but , it is annoying!!! i pulled mine out and cleaned inside where ariel goes but nothing ..... last time it fixed it self it lasted 4weeks but about 4 days ago same thing again dead but it will play cd's ???
jimmymeik89
Regular

Damn Radio!!

Post by jimmymeik89 »

pulled the head unit our yeserday and took it all apart, eevrything seems fine, no broken solders or connections so i put it back together and still doesnt work but CD's and AUX works fine.

probably going to buy another unit. are most units the same size? as ive already got it cut into the radio fascia panel for the size of this unit. and would the plug at the back be universal or just change the wires into the new plug?

cheers in advance

James
AnddMack
Regular

Post by AnddMack »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL gunna do the same thing ,had enuff :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

don't buy another sony xplode, they're s*#t.

if you buy anything else though, the plug will be different, and you'll have to re wire it.

all aftermaket cd players are the same size and shape pretty much
jimmymeik89
Regular

Post by jimmymeik89 »

cheers, ill get a better one :D
jonson15
n00b

Post by jonson15 »

Right after nearly an hour of searching the net I found out how to fix this problem I was having with my iPhone 3Gs running iOS4. First of all the problem was that when I hooked my iPhone into my Sony headunit in my car the music would either play for about 10 seconds then completely stop or not play anything at all.