Should posts be uneditible after a certain amount of time?

Check here for site announcements

Should posts be uneditible after a certain amount of time?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes - After 2 Weeks
36%
Yes - After 4 Weeks
12%
Yes - After 8 Weeks
3%
Yes - After 12 Weeks
6%
No
43%

Total votes: 157

Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

Lok, I assume you mean the hosting account?
I have some other ideas that will be much simpler to use. I'll PM you soon :)
EVL WON
Long Term Member

Post by EVL WON »

Posts by an individual could be considered as their intellectual property.

I know that it will could errors in the forum, but I guess that there's not much that can be done.

Can users edit a post if the thread is locked?
“Horsepower makes you fast in a straight line, lightness makes you fast everywhere” - Colin Chapman
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

EVL WON wrote:Posts by an individual could be considered as their intellectual property.

I know that it will could errors in the forum, but I guess that there's not much that can be done.

Can users edit a post if the thread is locked?
yes it *might* be there "intellectual property", but by having your username above it means its been referenced to its original author. so no one is claiming it is theirs, other then the owner of the post that is it referenced to/by.

its open discussion, just like a conversation at the pub.
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Jostecki
n00b

Post by Jostecki »

In the case of sale, tech and build threads, they should remain open, simply for the fact that, more often than not, they will need to be updated. Some even after a few months. General questions and pointless conversations can be locked after a few weeks. Most questions are usually well answered within a few days anyway.

Locking threads, is a quick and simple fix, but unfortunately, it will be a hindrance to members that can maintain their threads appropriately. Which is the vast majority of us.

As with any change in a thread, it needs to be scrutinised by an admin member, but ultimately, this falls back on the poster. If a forum member is taking liberties with their threads, they need to be told to knock it off, or piss off. Simple as that.

Ive been a member on a few forums, where you a free to update your thread as you please, as long as its for a legitimate reason. These sites adopt a strict 'no bulls*#t' policy. You get one warning. If you do it again, your banned. Its harsh, but really, if you dont listen the first time, you shouldn't be using a forum.

I can understand that admin members probably dont have the spare time to go through and check everything. Really, there should be at least one person (global moderator) who is allocated the job of assessing changes, and deciding if its pointless or not. If members are using the forum properly, this particular persons job should be easy and of little effort.

At the end of the day, locking threads is just a bandaid. If you want to keep the forum clean, the members need to do the right thing to start with, but you also need some or a few people making sure it stays that way. 'Forum Police' FTW :P
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

I don't think the discussion is about locking threads, but editing posts after a set time period. There is really no need to edit a post weeks down the track. If a thread requires new information just add a new post to it.
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

Correct, guys we are talking about the abilitiy to edit a post, not the locking of threads :)
Jostecki
n00b

Post by Jostecki »

*facepalm* I should read Freds post in its entirety.

But there would still be an underlying issue. Im not sure how this forum is coded, but if its still has the original phpBB coding, an initialized thread is classified as post. If the forum is set to automatically lock posts for editing after a given amount of time, it will in turn lock the original thread post as well. The thread will still remain unlocked, so new posts can be added, but you will lose the ability to go back and make any changes, if need be.

I can see and agree why automatic post-locking would be of benefit, with the obvious reason being no risk of information being lost. The workaround, would be simply just adding post to the thread to keep it updated.

While this is a simple solution, it might end up being problematic, as there is the possibility of numerous posts accumulating in a thread. Examples being with parts sales. Looking at it from both creator and reader point of views, this might become a pain in the ass, having to sift through multiple posts to find what your looking for. If we maintained the ability to edit posts, we wouldn't need to look much further than original post.

The exception to this being build threads. While it would be handy to go back to the original and add/change lines, (say, a spec list) it shouldn't be all that necessary. Most builds are done in stages, in conjunction to a time line. Thats when multiple posts would work, as each step of the build is segregated. Personally, I wouldn't want to read a build thread thats contained entirely within one post. Would be tidier, but overkill really.

Anyway, I could dribble s*#t on this forever. Just thought Id offer some subjective thinking
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

tech side posts: uneditable after 3 weeks, unless special permission is obtained from admin to legitimately revise a useful tech article.

non tech side: open forever, as nothing is really at stake there. and because i like to edit my gallery thread posts :lol:
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
Jostecki
n00b

Post by Jostecki »

stock_gem wrote:tech side posts: uneditable after 3 weeks, unless special permission is obtained from admin to legitimately revise a useful tech article.

non tech side: open forever, as nothing is really at stake there. and because i like to edit my gallery thread posts :lol:
I could live with that :)
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Jostecki wrote:
stock_gem wrote:tech side posts: uneditable after 3 weeks, unless special permission is obtained from admin to legitimately revise a useful tech article.

I could live with that :)
I like this, but with a longer time lapse. The worthwhile posts are the ones that get deleted years later. Even a 3-month window would stop most of the good stuff being lost. Plus, who'd bother deleting their posts to prove a point, if they could only delete 5% of them? :lol:
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

will this be a window starting from the date of the post or the last edit made?
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

deffiently the info lost from gemi coupe and germi is huge, posts should be uneditable after maybe 2 weeks, gallery threads should not be like this more the technical half of the forum the non techs not really crucial
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
canon56348
n00b

Post by canon56348 »

The idea of deleting information out of spite really goes against the information sharing philosophy of a forum. Whats more is it is really untidy and personally I am sick of coming across a now incomplete thread because some childish peanut wants to delete their stuff and put something like "f u germinator". Makes me wonder about the credibility of the post in the first place but still really degrades the whole site. Like most members I couldn't care less about someones personal gripe and what goes on behind the scenes, I am here to learn and share.

So I think the resolution is simple. Ban them.