Should posts be uneditible after a certain amount of time?

Check here for site announcements

Poll ended at Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes - After 2 Weeks
36%
Yes - After 4 Weeks
12%
Yes - After 8 Weeks
3%
Yes - After 12 Weeks
6%
No
43%

Total votes: 157

Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

Do you think posts should become uneditible after a certain amount of time?

As many of you are aware, a user is going through systematically editing all the information out of his posts. This has happened a few times in the past by multiple users.

As site adminitrators we would prefer this kind of thing not happen as it leaves holes in existing threads and means you guys could miss out on important information.

One method some forums use to stop this is to automatically lock topics that are more than X days old. We don't as sometimes old threads get revisited.

Another method some forums use is to make posts uneditible that are more than X days old. This is the possibility that we are looking at.

From an administrative point of view this seems like a good idea, protecting the integrity of old threads. What we would like to know is how do users feel about posts being uneditbile after a period of time?

Do you think (individual) posts should become uneditible after a certain amount of time? If so, how long?
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

My suggestion would be to have sold items in the for sale section/s locked , this way people arent wasting time opening dead ads.

As for the editing , i dont think it is really an issue. Info can be found anywhere on the net , and most of the older users should be able to answer the questions.

BUT , if its edited in a way ( such as "f*#k you germinator" ) that is outside forum rules , moderators should be editing the posts and locking or deleting the offending edited comments , basically "cleaning up the backyard".

The workshop section should maybe be the only part of the forum that cannot be edited maybe after 7 days , to fix spelling or add extra information into original post.

my 2c
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
geminiv6turboute
Long Term Member

Post by geminiv6turboute »

I think it's a good idea,but it should be editable with permission from admin.

i have some info to add to the tech section on 4z engines,when i get the time i will start putting it in there. (it will happen eventually).

i would only be able to add a small amount of info at a time,needing me to edit it a few times, 2 weeks or even 4 won't cut it.

also when you find extra info to add to your own existing thread what do you do then?
geminiv6turboute
Long Term Member

Post by geminiv6turboute »

After seeing what said member is doing to various threads a BAN would be better.............................. threads can not be edited if your banned....
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Every other message board I'm on has this in place and I was surprised this one has an endless editing period. In fact most time I've had on other forums has been 15mins to edit.

This isn't a real issue because you just post another post if the original needs clarifying or correcting. For sale threads are just a simple copy/paste of post #1 and editing whats sold or added. Editing of the subject heading is handy though if that is able to be set separately to the thread body... :)
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
HONES
Regular

Post by HONES »

leave threads in offtopic area unlimited - its good to reminiss

general/workshop should be 1 week, but the above guy makes a good point about going back and making changes to correct or etc.

Trial it (with the outlook of making permanent and if theres no issues (above guy is looking at worst possible case scenario with having to go back and re-edit).
My guess is u wont receive any bad feedback apart from one complete child.

car gallerys should be unlimited too if someone wants to go back and edit their progress (like gene with his red text as being something thats complete)
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Tech posts it would be useful. Offtopic doesnt need it. Forsale threads should be deleted after two weeks of inactivity.
List of people I hate: You.
83TGGEMINI
Regular

Post by 83TGGEMINI »

Yes, after 2 weeks. Only because after a certain person goes and removes their content, this site will have nothing. So if its un-editable, then it stays there.
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

2 weeks sounds good but what about the For sale forums and project gallery's where the titles are often changed when something is sold or updated in a thread????
#Turbocoupe75
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Lok: You make a good point about those edited posts saying f you germinator. It's about time we cleaned them up. I'll get on to that

geminiv6turboute: Adding info to threads will be possible as the proposal is to lock editing of individual posts, the threads will always remain unlocked for new posts (except for threads that get manually locked... goes without saying but has to be said :roll: )
Definately for cases where people would like to add info to an existing post we can make it editable, we are trying to stop negative actions not positive ones :)

For sale threads are currently deleted after 6 months of inactivity.. This could perhaps be lowered to 2 months. Plus we can let these always be editable for people to update titles on sold items etc.
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

Wihtout sounding pretentious or anything like that , mods do need to be a bit more proactive with modifying/editing posts.

cleaning up/deleting useless dribble in the important topic sections should be kinda high on the list.

Maybe with the for sale stuff , a poster has the oppertunity to delete their own thread once item has sold , if they dont it automatically locks/deletes after say 6 months.

the 10 post 7 day thing is working to keep the spammers away , but is their any way to bring it down to say 3 days? , so genuine posters can put images up.

and is phpbb3 out of the question yet?
zep
Long Term Member

Post by zep »

I voted for 2 weeks, but would probably prefer 1.

As for the people who go through and edit all their posts, if they were a (post-)user of my forum, I would just delete their accounts and choose the delete all posts option.

None of those accounts are being used anymore and you have to make the assumption that they are not going to be used again. Keeping those posts is a bad look for prospective new users and makes this place look immature.

On a brighter note, the quality of the content here is definitely on the rise in my eyes. As some of the original users have got older, experience is defitely on their side. It's cool to have watched some of the users really master the mechanics of (modifying) Geminis!

And thanks for keeping this place running, I know (from experience) it can be a pain the the arse sometimes!
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Lok: Parts for sale are deleted after 6 months but we're reducing that to 3 months. Cars are longer as there's not as many and a little history is good.
I have reduced the number of days & posts for new users to 3 each before allowing images to be posted. The spammer problem is pretty much sorted through other methods anyway.
phpBB3 is not out of the question, it's being done in bits & pieces and is very close to complete.

zep: Thanks for your support mate :)
A lot of those old posts will be cleaned up
booosty
Regular

Post by booosty »

i have copied and pasted every single one of piodas posts :D
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

Frederick Stienheld wrote:Lok: Parts for sale are deleted after 6 months but we're reducing that to 3 months. Cars are longer as there's not as many and a little history is good.
I have reduced the number of days & posts for new users to 3 each before allowing images to be posted. The spammer problem is pretty much sorted through other methods anyway.
phpBB3 is not out of the question, it's being done in bits & pieces and is very close to complete.

zep: Thanks for your support mate :)
A lot of those old posts will be cleaned up

Wasnt sure what actions were happening behind the scenes , but every change is for the better , as technology etc moves forward.

p.s ive given up on trying to get that other account working , it just wont do it for me/ i havent got the technical knowhow to impliment it.