CD/tape deck wiring.

Work Shop Articles about Car Audio
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

CD/tape deck wiring.

Post by ashzz/z »

First things first, rip out the old deck (if there is one) dont take note of the wires because if you are reading this you dont know what they are anyway.

You can do it 2 ways, cut up the old stock loom, or run new wires if you want a bigger power wire or anything. I'll tell you how to run new wires.

Look at the loom for your new deck, if it has inline fuses on the wires already (if you dont know what that is they will be like black litttle boxes on the wire) you're job just got a bit easier. If it doesnt, heres your shopping list -

Red wire with a fuse for Acc. (the guy at the audio shop will know what you're on about.)

Yellow wire with a fuse for constant power (again, the guy will know what you're talking about)

Black wire without a fuse.

Speaker wire.

Measure how much you need and add a meter in case you stuff up.

Solder/soldering iron/heat shrink/crimps OR just crimps OR electrical tape (bad idea).

DISCONNECT NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL NOW!!!!!!

Ok grab your yellow wire and feed it through a grommet in the firewall, choose a safe path for it to get down to your POSITIVE battery terminal.
Solder a crimp with a loop on the end so that you can put it through a bolt in your battery terminal...and put it through the bolt in your battery terminal. TAPE OFF THE BARE END OF THE YELLOW WIRE THATS INSIDE THE CABIN. (make sure the fuse is fairly close to the battery)

Take off your steering column and ignition barrol surround by undoing the few screws from underneath. Go re-connect your negative battery terminal and grab your circuit tester, put the ignition to Acc. and start poking metal connectors untill the tester lights up, may take you a few terminals to find one, make sure it turns off when you put the ignition to "off". In other words, find a terminal that only works when the ignition is turned to Acc. Solder the end of your red wire into the wire coming off the terminal and use heat shrink or tape to insulate the join.

TAKE OFF THE NEGATIVE BATTERY LEAD AGAIN!

Find a metal body in the car, if you can find a bolt or screw that goes to the body of the car that is good. solder or crimp another one of those loop crimps onto the end of it and screw it down to the body of the car. easy enough.

easy enough, put speaker wires on the speaker connectors.

Now join the wires, yellow goes to yellow on the deck, black goes to black, red to red etc...

Your manufacturer will tell you which speaker goes where.

Pioneer:
White: left front.
grey: right front.
purple: right rear.
green:left rear.

If you plan on running an amp, run a blue wire from the remote wire on your deck to wherever your putting the amp, same goes for a pair of RCA's (one pair of RCA's per amp, but some amps can daisy-chain so it depends on your amp) Theres other wires for automatic aerials and phone kits but who cares about them.

Now sit your deck in there and drop the battery back into the circuit dont tighten it up yet, check if anything starts smoking, if it does, pull the negative lead off again and go see what you stuffed up. If nothing starts burning, tighten it up. Go see if your deck turned on, if it doesnt, again go figure out what you did wrong (circuit tester is your friend).if it does turn on mount it properly put everything back together put the beauty board over the front of your amp and crank the phat beats yuleh.

Pretty sure its all good, correct me if im wrong I probably forgot something... :oops:
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

sony have the same speaker wiring colours.
when you run your RCA cables to the boot, DONT run them next to the amp power wires or any other power wires, the electrical noise can be induced into the RCA signal, which will corrupt the signal and destroy any sound quality, it can also make a buzzing noise through the speakers (whatever's connected to the amp)
Also, Any wires that are running through a metal panel MUST go through a grommet, it doesn't take much for a sharp metal edge to rub though the insulation and cause a short, if for example, it happens to your main amp wire running through the fire wall, it can short and create a fire, which will decimate your pride and joy.
Cheap insurance with any power wire is to place the fuse as close to the power source as possible.
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

Cheap insurance with any power wire is to place the fuse as close to the power source as possible.
I tried to say that, you worded it right though lol
DanWA
Long Term Member

Post by DanWA »

any help for ones with chopped gemi looms??? clarion deck..
76' LX Torana Sedan - Cammed LS1 Conversion
http://www.gemswa.com
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

:? Run new wires...chopping and taping random wires and s*#t like that is stupid. The loom in my car is chopped and taped everywhere...annoys the s*#t outta me.
near mitch
n00b

Post by near mitch »

would it be beneficial to run the wires in braided shield earthed at one end
meanzah
Regular

Post by meanzah »

They think they've got me by the balls but they don't - their hands aren't big enough.
Bernie Ecclestone
gemifreak3342
Regular

Post by gemifreak3342 »

Welll there are alot more coloured wires now on Head units.

So here ya go.

Black= Earth
Red= Acc
Yellow= 12 volt ( positive)
Green=Rear Left
Purple= Rear Right
Grey= Front Right
White= Front Left
Orange White trace= Illumination
Brown= Mute
Light green= Hand Brake

I will keep posting updates up as new stuff comes in.
NANKERVIS08
Regular

Post by NANKERVIS08 »

whats it ment by handbrake?
whats that gunna do?
and also illumination?
hooking up boost gauges correctly since I installed my first one
Fatty Matty95
n00b

Post by Fatty Matty95 »

i have a tg with the stock am and ive just pulled it out i dont really want to cut any thing at all :) but what i want to know is what does the colours mean e.g what colours is is power ect would love if some one could tell me what they all mean :) thank heaps
chris74

Post by chris74 »

gemifreak3342 wrote:Welll there are alot more coloured wires now on Head units.

So here ya go.

Black= Earth
Red= Acc
Yellow= 12 volt ( positive)
Green=Rear Left
Purple= Rear Right
Grey= Front Right
White= Front Left
Orange White trace= Illumination
Brown= Mute
Light green= Hand Brake

I will keep posting updates up as new stuff comes in.
gemifreak3342
Regular

Post by gemifreak3342 »

NANKERVIS08 wrote:whats it ment by handbrake?
whats that gunna do?
and also illumination?
The Hand break wire is for unit that have a dvd screen on it, Basically you cant watch the screen while the hand break isnt on,

The Illumination wire is to dim the head deck when you turn your lights on.
booosty
Regular

Post by booosty »

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:43 pm