BASIC KICK PANNEL CONSTRUCTION

Work Shop Articles about Car Audio
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

BASIC KICK PANNEL CONSTRUCTION

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

this is pretty bacic and a good place to start if its your 1st time glassing.

seen as the gemini kick is very basic iv just used the stock pannel, re created it on MDF and made my kicks from that..
if it were a newer car or and car with complex shapes.. instead of using the MDF base, i would have taped everything up and made a fiber glass base to work off...

anyways.. hope this is usfull

i tryed getting shots of every step but dad took the camera 1/2 way through. so i have the start and finish, with a bit in the middle missing :D.. lol

dynaudio 360 3 way splits.

stock kick pannel.. remove it

trace out the stock kicks on to some 3mm MDF

now trace out the rings for you speakers and cut em out.. in this case i have the 4" mid and a 1.1" tweeter (aswell as a 8" woofer that will be fit in the floor).
if u want the speakers counter sunk, cut out extra rings slightly bigger than the speaker. this will alow the speaker to sit in inside
(can be seen here - http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums ... mentid=233
doing this will alow the speaker to sit flush or below the surface level on the pod)

now sit in the car and find out how u wanna position the speakers.. making up a frame like this and gluing it place with wood glue or hot glue gun.. it may take a few goes (took me 5-6) to get the positioning to how u want it.. try and aim the left kick speakers at the right head rest and the right kick speakers at the left head rest

now use a stretchy type flece material.. it dont mater what kind or colour.. (as u can see i used a pretty bear patterened material.. how cute)

stretch it over everything and glue it down to the rings and the back of the pod using spray glue (K&H is the best)

now iv used a layer of glad wrap under the pod here and screwed the 4 corners down to a scrap piece of timber(read scrape piece or timber is mums BBQ table :D).. this will stop the corners from warping up when the fiber glass resin is drying. the glad wrap is there to stop the resin and kick pannel sticking to the timber/table

(NOTE: b4 screwing it down, make sure u cut of any large clumps of matiral stuck on the back, so that it sits nice and flat)

now this is the part i didnt get fotos of..
with the kick pannels screwed to the timber mix up some fiber glass resin.. and then paint it on with a chaep throw away brush... keep on painting it on over and over till the material stops soaking up anymore of the resin.. these to kicks used about 350-400ml of resin

once the resin is dryed.. uses a drill to drin out the 4 screws (leaving 4 holes, one in each corner)...

using 40-60 grit sand paper, sand the major roughness of the now dryed and hard material... this shouldnt take to long.. no need to make it perfect, u just wanna get the surface level..

once this is done, use body filler to fill in the 4 holes from where the screws were, and any other major stuff ups u may have encountered... once dryed, sand it back to a semi smooth surface.

now using spray bog, spray it on HEAP, cake it on... so much it starts to run.. filling any pits and lines in the bog/resin.. sand this smooth using 80 grit... now do a second layer of spray bog over the pannel, not as heavy.. then sand smooth again with 80 grit, repeat this over and over till all pits and lines are removes and the whole surface is smoth..

this should leave the kick/panel smooth enuff to trim..

now if the pannel is being painted then u will need to use 360 grit to smooth out the surface removing all the harsh marks cuased by the 80 grit.. then under coat , prep sand and piant the same way u would paint a car pannel..

ImageImage
Last edited by Gene FJ20DEBT on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Green Machine
Chatterbox

Post by Green Machine »

Love the write up Gene. cant wait to get my car back together to put some in!

How'd it fit round the fuse box?

cheers mate
Will this forum die as well? I have no trust left in Gemini Forums anymore! :(
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

i didnt.. i have to find somewhere to put the fuse box :D haha

im moddign the loom anyways so its all good

Green Machine
Chatterbox

Post by Green Machine »

hmmm.... and if you didn't want to, you reckon you could just cut a piece out of the fiberglass as an access panel? or would that f*#k it?

are both sided mirror images? can you get it supper smooth, it looks a bit rough!
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

there pretty smooth.. hi fill primer and tehy would be sweet for paint, but im triming them so never when that far..

yeah u could cut a section out easyly .. or just twist the fuse box and vip tie it under the dash..

Green Machine
Chatterbox

Post by Green Machine »

Yeah that would be heaps better! it'd be a bitch not to have it accessable in an emergency, zip-ties would do the job!

any idea for parcel shelf pods?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

hmm i couls make one.. and do a write up.. but im ot putting speakers on my shelf.. so it would pointless.. or i could sell it :P

Green Machine
Chatterbox

Post by Green Machine »

you only having fronties? where the other two going? passenger door?

what about bellow the backseat? behind where peoples legs would go. has anyone done that? work at all? cant really cut into that thou can you, you'd end up on the outside of the car.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

the 8" mids are going in the front floors.

theres no need for rear fill in a 2 seater car

hellrazor
n00b

KICK PANEL

Post by hellrazor »

hey bud just one question wat are you the measurement for the pods and does the drivers side one interfere with the accelerator but other tan that they look mad
IF IM GOING TO HELL IM GOING IN A GEMINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

no they dont interfear.

what mesuments do u want? there just a trace of the stock kicks

////ALPINE
Long Term Member

Post by ////ALPINE »

how much room would they leav for a speaker from the panel to the inside wall?. cause i got some lanzarr split dc 64 pros & they r very deep speaker makin them a hard to put sum where & i gotta make room on my parcel tray for my new alpines wen i get em??
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

depends on the shape and how fare u stick them out.. just cut into the side if there 2 deep

////ALPINE
Long Term Member

Post by ////ALPINE »

ok i might look into it. thnx
blown2lwagon
Regular

Post by blown2lwagon »

yup, ill have a left hand side and a right hand side :lol: hhaha...wood u meake me some for some $$$? pm me