Hints when buying an old unregistered car.

FieldEffect
Was dangerous_dave

Hints when buying an old unregistered car.

Post by FieldEffect »

Hello all,

I am buying a 1975 tx gemini this weekend, with no motor or rego probably been that way for many many years.

Ive been told this can make things very difficult with vicroads when you go to register your car some time later.

Apparently a Statuatory Decleration (available from a newsagents) can be used to legally record all the information required to register the vehical.

What details should i get on the Stat dec?
Wfc

Post by Wfc »

I don’t know if you already have this sorted or not but its a big hassle at rego time if you don’t have a previous rego number or the engine number that was in the car when it was last registered

What to do when buying an unregistered car

Make sure you get a full very detailed receipt with all the info you can on the guy you are buying it from, licence everything!! as Vic roads with cars only keep track of engine numbers and previous rego for older cars like geminis
The geminsi serial/vin number means nothing!

The fact that the vin doesn’t come up in their system when you get them to check just means that is never been recorded.

The way to get around all of this is a statutory declaration when you go to rego it,

Now as they are Vic roads they won’t have a clue why you brought one in but also as you have no previous data they get very suss and in there books which they will have to look it up but a stat dec is required

Always ring up or go to vir roads and get them to do a VIN search anyway and then pay for them to print out on a piece of paper that the vin is not recorded as being “stolen or written off" . This costs about $22. This is so you have more proof at rego time that the car isn’t suss.

Now get a stat dec form and take it up with you when you buy the car, get the guy to write on it with his details like address license number etc that he does not know the previous rego or engine number of the car and bought it unregistered etc. Make sure you get the person you are buying it off to write his full contact details and license detail on the stat dec form.

Then after that you write on the stat dec form that you have taken all measures to get previous info about the cars previous rego but Vic roads are unable to help etc other than the stolen check, then get it all signed off by a JP. You will have to explain to the JP what’s going on etc and they will sign it off after judging your character. The JP is basically saying that they believe you are honest and trust worthy so its an idea to make a good impression, they are usually respected members of the community

That is what Vicroads will need after they all scratch their heads wondering what to do and call their boss over

The Stat dec form is a $0.50 piece of official looking paper from the newsagents and a JP or justice of the peace can usually be looked up in your local phone book.

Hope this helps
Cheers
pistonbroke
Regular

Re: Hints when buying an old unregistered car.

Post by pistonbroke »

dangerous_dave wrote:Hello all,

I am buying a 1975 tx gemini this weekend, with no motor or rego probably been that way for many many years.

Ive been told this can make things very difficult with vicroads when you go to register your car some time later.

Apparently a Statuatory Decleration (available from a newsagents) can be used to legally record all the information required to register the vehical.

What details should i get on the Stat dec?
It's a coupe isn't it?
PF60 Kev
Long Term Member

Post by PF60 Kev »

How would you go if you've owned a car for, say, 12 years and bought it unregistered and you've just been slack in getting the car back on the road? Bit late to get a stat dec then?
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Im in the same boat as tdwagon and the panelshop i got the car from has since gone under.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
PF60 Kev
Long Term Member

Post by PF60 Kev »

I've actually had the wagon since 1995 and it's still not finished. Nowhere near it to be honest.

I wonder what BS i'll have to make up to get it through.
ice-boy
Chatterbox

Post by ice-boy »

make sure when you get a new engine to unless u already have one make sure u got reciept with the engine number written down on it
Wfc

Post by Wfc »

there is no time limit on getting a stat dec done and you dont have to get the persons statment and signiture on it of whom you are purchasing the car from.
In both of your cases you would just get a stat dec and fill it out yourself stating that you have gone though all channels to get previous registration data but as the car has been off the road for the last xx years while being restored you cannot find anything.
Note you are still going to want a to have a reciept from the preson you bought it from ;) vic roads requirement.
Piazza Pete
Regular

Post by Piazza Pete »

I tried to do this with a piazza. It was to the guy i bought it from by someone else. Now, i did all the s*#t for it, including having the original papers. But because i had no contact with the orignal owner they wouldn't accept my stat dec. I see stat dec's on a weekly basis, and really don't mean alot.

In court they are equal to not very much, i know i've been their with one.

So yeah, good luck. Make sure you buy it from the previous owner only. With as much documentation as possible.
My Yellow (now black) coupe was yellow sticker and deregister by the previuos owner. I took it over and the faults that were picked on were not given a work order. I fixed like 2 or 3 things and off i went. Easy as.

Pete.
Wfc

Post by Wfc »

how did you end up getting the piazza registered?
vic roads seem to often change their minds on what they will and wont accept with the wind :(
i had one of mine registered with a stat dec and no previous owner and new engine, but i guess its a case by case basis or how they are feeling on the day
Piazza Pete
Regular

Post by Piazza Pete »

Didn't, i sold to a mate, who couldn't be bother with cars anymore, and got it baack in bits. Yes, heven forbid a stripped piazza. But what else is it good for if it can not be registered.
FieldEffect
Was dangerous_dave

Post by FieldEffect »

Urm well its pretty important... i might give them a call next week... would be a shame to spend $$$ restoring a gemini only to find that its unregisterable.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

my77tdwagon wrote:How would you go if you've owned a car for, say, 12 years and bought it unregistered and you've just been slack in getting the car back on the road? Bit late to get a stat dec then?

If its all cosher just get one of your mates to write you a recipt. "i dont know who he bought it off or what the previous rego was, it was in bits and i bought it off him and restored it"

Chances are if it hasnt been stripped and the windscreen is in it the old sticker will still be there. Is on my little ute and its been off the road for over 10 years.

Ive only had drama once with presenting a car to Vicroads. HQ Statesman, VIN No and engine number were fine but the vin didnt match the number stamped in the front rail (pretty common on kingswoods). They gave me some paper work and i had to take it off and get a VP number stamped in the rail and i still had it regoed that arvo.

Ive regoed quite a few cars that ive bought with no rego and swapped motors etc. You just need recipts with details, who and where they live. You need the recipt for the body and the recipt for the motor. Who gives you the recipt is totally irrelavant if the cars not stolen or financed etc.

One of my mates has sold me lots and lots of cars, now that i think of it the ones he hasnt sold me he owns i think. I dont want to own anything, if i own it the sherrif can come and take it. lol.

Cheers, Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

When i had my gem regoed. First i canceled the reg without even copying the car into my name just gave back the plates. I then rebuilt the car over the course of 2 years and then rocked up at vicroads with the receipt of the vin and rego. No engine number ocs its a g200 and they didnt even queery why it didnt have the original engine in it or why i never transferrred it to my name at the start. Just gave me plates and sent me on my way!
Oh vicroads suck balls hard by the way- Never know what you are goin on about!

CHRIS...
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
PF60 Kev
Long Term Member

Post by PF60 Kev »

Rodeobob wrote:Chances are if it hasnt been stripped and the windscreen is in it the old sticker will still be there. Is on my little ute and its been off the road for over 10 years.
I think the original windscreen came out when I bought it - it was not registered but the owners were from Adelaide and their other cars still had SA plates. I bet that complicates things further eh?
Rodeobob wrote:Ive only had drama once with presenting a car to Vicroads. HQ Statesman, VIN No and engine number were fine but the vin didnt match the number stamped in the front rail (pretty common on kingswoods). They gave me some paper work and i had to take it off and get a VP number stamped in the rail and i still had it regoed that arvo.
I've had cars with VP numbers before and it s*)ts me. Stamping into good paint - right on the shocker tower too. I've spent a lot ($6K+) on the paintwork on this particular car and I don't really want a VP number on it.