EOI: Custom Gemini diff conversion R&D and manufacture

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

They are looking at gear from Cusco and KAAZ to see what they can use as a basis for the LSD.
As in looking up through their books/specs on whats similar in size to the petrol gem?

Any word yet?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

any word on this yet mate?

Cheers
Matt
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Going to call them today. Last I spoke to them they had not gone much further with it.
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

just got an update then - then plans for the center have been drawn up, it's now just a matter of them machining the components. For the first unit they will be doing manual machining rather than CNC. They are snow under with work though so it may take a while.

They did confirm that it will be using a KAAZ R33 GTR rear diff LSD which will accommodate 31 spline axles, though we will most likely stick with the 30 spine and keep the standard side gears
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

interested in the final output.

i am looking at fitting 4.625:1 gears from a mazda rotary in the petrol diff atm.
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

Cuz wrote:just got an update then - then plans for the center have been drawn up, it's now just a matter of them machining the components. For the first unit they will be doing manual machining rather than CNC. They are snow under with work though so it may take a while.

They did confirm that it will be using a KAAZ R33 GTR rear diff LSD which will accommodate 31 spline axles, though we will most likely stick with the 30 spine and keep the standard side gears

might be a noob question but this means that commodore axles wont be able to be used, but will instead have to use R33 axles??? or do you just need to have the commodore ones resplined for a 30-31 spline?

Cheers
Matt
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Commo axles resplined to 30-31 provided the input [ie splined end] of the axle is the same diameter as the Skyline.

Skyline axles are to suit IRS therefore have CV joints in them. Obviously no good for a gem.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

I'm going billet axles..........
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

Cuz wrote:I'm going billet axles..........

how much are they costing? is there any chance of a cheaper alternative to getting billet ones made?

Cheers
Matt
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

about $800 i think. I'll ask em what the alternatives may be
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

wouldnt going the 28's make like easyer for everyone?
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

true, but that would mean they would have to make custom side gears. Depends where you want to spend the money on customising - the side gears or the axles
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

be alot stronger going 30 spline but would be better off going 31 if you ask me so much more stuff out there in this range.
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
BAD 44u
Long Term Member

Post by BAD 44u »

i was going to use 31 spline axles but they wouldn't fit in the spool and leave enough metal inbtween the bearing and axle splines. so i assume it will be the same problem unless you use a different bearing
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

hey Cuz any word on alternative 30 spline axles that could be used?

Cheers
Matt