EOI: Custom Gemini diff conversion R&D and manufacture

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Anyone had a chance to call Bosnjak?
eskylid
Chatterbox

Post by eskylid »

psigem called up and the bloke said its gna take over 6 weeks or something because they have a contract with a company worth alot of money which obviously takes priority :(, plus the centre will cost like 3000 depending on how many ppl are going to by the centre, hopefully there will be enuff to bring the price down though,
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

yeah, spoke to psigem bout it. i've been talking with bosnjak on this since early last year and have got the - call again in a few months line many times.
adamc8302
n00b

Post by adamc8302 »

hi guys

where do you get the solid rubber torque tube mount from

cheers
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The thing is with the axles unless you are goin to stick with the std 23 spline your better off with new axles.

Resplineing an axle (shortening) weakens it.

I do not get how you can put an R33 center in a gemini housing.
I seriously think theres a few guys on here that need a bit of a lesson in drive train engineering and how diffs work.

If you use the R33 carrier with all the whizz bang 3 way or 2 way or LSD bits inside and beefed up to 20 or 30 or 31 spline axles, your still stuck a Gemini ring gear and pinion and the torque tube.
If you want the torque tube you need that pinion and to use that pinion you must use that ring gear.

It wont work any other way. You cant use any other pinion or ring gear in the gemini housing. If you do its not a gemini diff any more.

So instead of ripping the end off axles and munching up some spider gears, you will be crapping out pinions and busting ring gears. And thats if the shaft in the torqe tube doesnt let go.

Someone do an IRS conversion.
A full cradle that bolts up under the gemini floor. 200B datsun would do the trick. Convert it to the R200 diff centre.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Rodeobob wrote:The thing is with the axles unless you are goin to stick with the std 23 spline your better off with new axles.

Resplineing an axle (shortening) weakens it.

I do not get how you can put an R33 center in a gemini housing.
I seriously think theres a few guys on here that need a bit of a lesson in drive train engineering and how diffs work.

If you use the R33 carrier with all the whizz bang 3 way or 2 way or LSD bits inside and beefed up to 20 or 30 or 31 spline axles, your still stuck a Gemini ring gear and pinion and the torque tube.
If you want the torque tube you need that pinion and to use that pinion you must use that ring gear.

It wont work any other way. You cant use any other pinion or ring gear in the gemini housing. If you do its not a gemini diff any more.

So instead of ripping the end off axles and munching up some spider gears, you will be crapping out pinions and busting ring gears. And thats if the shaft in the torqe tube doesnt let go.

Someone do an IRS conversion.
A full cradle that bolts up under the gemini floor. 200B datsun would do the trick. Convert it to the R200 diff centre.

Bob.
yep standard gemini ring gear, pinion and strengthened tube. All been proven to run sub 9 second passes. Just the LSD part that is missing (whihc this addresses). how many busted ring gear and pinions have you seen?
PSIGEM
Long Term Member

Post by PSIGEM »

Yea what do you think Darren has in his Gemini running 9 seconds? Stock diff with full spool and strengthened TT which still uses the stock pinion/crown (donno if thats his current but he used to)

The pinion and crown wheel are not the weak links, their quite strong... The center and Axels are the weak links...

When I rang this place he said its a KAAZ center and he said he would supply custom axels (not shortened commo ones)

Hehe funny thing tho was I was thinking about trying to set up a IRS in the gem this arvo on the way home from work...
I love old cheeseburgers ...
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

yep agreed the ring gear and pinion are not the issue, torque tube is 50/50 but if you mod it right it would also be fine...

its just the centre and axles that are the issue.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Axles ARENT an issue, because there are alternative.

Therefore, its only the lack of a diff center making the issue.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
DOHC_TF
Chatterbox

Post by DOHC_TF »

Ok now i dont know if the kadett diff is a similar setup to the gemini one or not but i have found a company that makes heavy duty lsd's for the differing opel kadetts, here is the link.......

http://www.totalopel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11040

Now i noticed they list a 3.89 ratio in there so i thought maybe this might be an option?? I realise this is no good if it is still running 23 spline axles but i thought it might be worth investigating??

Now this is a link to the previous company mentioned earlier on in the thread but it is for a different diff, the diff in question is out of the opel manta

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Opel-Manta-GT-A ... fferential

Some pictures of the manta diff, is this similar to a piazza diff?? I personally havnt seen a piazza diff but i assume from what ive heard it may look like this??

I apologise in advance if this sight is old news and this path has already been researched.....
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

This is a Japanese Isuzu diff. It is a stronger diff than the Salisbury diff used in local Aussie Geminis but it isn't common here and the locally sourced ones you may find will be 3.58:1.

If you read the thread that image was posted in this particular axle is a modified Opel Manta diff (with welded gears for drifting) that's been retro fitted into an Opel Kadett C. The author also makes note of how the axle is wider and sticks out compared to the original axle.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... t-c-2.html

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

any info on this yet?
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

nope, i've somewhat given up with Bosnjak. Though they may be looking for more work now with auto industry going downturn feel free to give em a call Ph: 02 9757 2133.

Ask about my diesel diff they have had for over 12 months if you get a chance.
FJ2047
n00b

Post by FJ2047 »

Why bother spending that amount of money on a LSD?

How many of you are going to be pushing that amount of power for it to be useful on the road and the track?

If you are going to drag it...spool it. It will be a lot cheaper.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

I can "need" an LSD with bog stock 40rwkw.. Depends how you drive and what you do in the car, e.g. drifting, hills runs, motorkhana..
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza