EOI: Custom Gemini diff conversion R&D and manufacture

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
boostdgem
Chatterbox

Post by boostdgem »

for what its worth I would be keen if all the original objectives were met, great idea............but it looks like it has died off??????
G180 252Rwkw on 26psi with GT3082

126Mph on pump fuel
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

hey, yeah they are really busy atm and I have not spoken to them in about a month. will give them a call this week sometime.
PSIGEM
Long Term Member

Post by PSIGEM »

Yea keen for a update, Ive got some minispools on Order but if this is going to go ahead Ill cancel them.... just hope I find out before its too late
I love old cheeseburgers ...
eskylid
Chatterbox

Post by eskylid »

updates?
Pricey
Regular

Post by Pricey »

Can you fellas give us a link where I could find info on the construction of diffs. I've got no idea what your talking about, but I'm a student engineer, might be able to be useful down the track or something.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

Pricey wrote:Can you fellas give us a link where I could find info on the construction of diffs. I've got no idea what your talking about, but I'm a student engineer, might be able to be useful down the track or something.
google
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Ok, trying to get this resurrected.

Maybe having some other forum members call up and ask about it will give him a push in the right direction. If you are keen:

Bosnjak Engineering
Ph: 02 9757 2133

Ask for David

There was 16 that expressed interest so even if 1/4 of that can call then it would be a good thing I reckon.
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

will call tomorrow and report findings

cheers
Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

cheers
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

You blokes seem to be willing to spend massive amounts to have custom 31 spline axles made.

I have some questions to ask...

When it comes to rear end failures, what power are you putting through the standard Gemini rear end, and what parts are failing? I don't think I've yet read a single post where the 'weak' 23 spline axle has been the part failed. Differential gears seem to be the breaking point according to what I have read.

Now the difference in strength between a 23 spline, 25 spline and 28 spline axle is phenomenal. If people are not breaking 23 spline axles the odds of breaking a 28 spline is really slim. Remember you are putting it into a 1000kg car so it's copping less stress than it would in the substantially heavier car it was designed to be used in.

Do you really need to go to the expense of custom making 31 spline axles? A couple of other points to consider with the bigger axles are, heavier sprung weight and bigger axle means more space needed to accommodate it in the diff centre. What diff centres are you using that have 31 spline axles to begin with?

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

most I ever planned for was 28 spline
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

Germinator wrote:You blokes seem to be willing to spend massive amounts to have custom 31 spline axles made.

I have some questions to ask...

When it comes to rear end failures, what power are you putting through the standard Gemini rear end, and what parts are failing? I don't think I've yet read a single post where the 'weak' 23 spline axle has been the part failed. Differential gears seem to be the breaking point according to what I have read.

Now the difference in strength between a 23 spline, 25 spline and 28 spline axle is phenomenal. If people are not breaking 23 spline axles the odds of breaking a 28 spline is really slim. Remember you are putting it into a 1000kg car so it's copping less stress than it would in the substantially heavier car it was designed to be used in.

Do you really need to go to the expense of custom making 31 spline axles? A couple of other points to consider with the bigger axles are, heavier sprung weight and bigger axle means more space needed to accommodate it in the diff centre. What diff centres are you using that have 31 spline axles to begin with?
the stock axels twist the spline of all the time with decent power
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

cdtpf60
Regular

Post by cdtpf60 »

i may be interested depending on cost i dont need rear disc's (groupc wont let me use them)but a deacent lsd in a stock type houseing sound good as we're not allowed to change rear end mounting points so no hilux or 9" for me.
happiness is a cdt pf60 race car
now being worked on!!!!!!!
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

I remember the time of big heavy cars like the HT 350 GTS Monaro's (180Kw/515Nm) where you had 1400kg of metal being looked after by a 3.36:1 or 3.08:1 ratio 10 bolt Chevy "Positraction" LSD diff. They used 28 spline axles and they didn't break. Same with the GTHO Falcons. Heavier still with an even more torquey engine they used 28 spline axles except in the XY model which used 31 splines. All the rest were 28 spline. I can tell you now, You'd be hard pressed to twist or snap a 28 spline Ford axle unless you were absolutely abusing it and I mean to the point you shouldn't be driving. I think you'll be wasting your money stuffing about getting 31 spline axles made. It's an overkill for such a light weight car as a Gemini. What diffs are you planning on using that have 31 spline centres anyway?

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
MGOTD
Regular

Post by MGOTD »

this threads is for custom made lsd centers that will fit directly into the petrol gem housing, they are basing it off of skyline lsd centers i believe hence the 31 spline.

Cheers
Matt