another possible lsd option

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

still dosnt make sense. its a weaker item then coxys, it has the faults that Cuz listed, surely for the extra $500 or what ever it is. it just makes no sense. $1000 all up to have it in the car running, then i could understand but by the time u get all th s*#t needed, new bearings and what ever, put "rare" disks on the diff you will be up around 2grand..

each to there own tho
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:still dosnt make sense. its a weaker item then coxys, it has the faults that Cuz listed, surely for the extra $500 or what ever it is. it just makes no sense. $1000 all up to have it in the car running, then i could understand but by the time u get all th s*#t needed, new bearings and what ever, put "rare" disks on the diff you will be up around 2grand..

each to there own tho
How is it weaker than Coxy's setup? More expensive maybe, but def not weaker if anything it is stronger and will require zero maintenance as there are no wearing parts. The Quaife has a lifetime warranty no matter what you use it for (including racing applications).

With the rebuild of the diff, the quaife, the custom axles, the custom side gears the strengthened torque tube and the the rear disc setup I'm at around 4k. Too bad coxy's thing wasn't around 1.5 years ago when i started pulling all the parts together, I probably would have gone for that.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

dang, i did my whole hilux diff(toson and disks) for less then 4k :oops:

i was assuming it was the stock item from the opels?? or is this one from NZ an aftermarket replacment?
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:dang, i did my whole hilux diff(toson and disks) for less then 4k :oops:

i was assuming it was the stock item from the opels?? or is this one from NZ an aftermarket replacment?
Nah, they are an aftermarket LSD made by Quaife for the opels/piazza. The Quote is in NZD because the Australian distributor is based in NZ.

I think there probably are better options, but its still an option.

Cheers Nick
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:dang, i did my whole hilux diff(toson and disks) for less then 4k :oops:

I would have done this too, had my engineer been ok with a ladder/4 link setup, but he wasn't so i went the (expensive) stock mounts option.

The one from NZ is made by Quaife. Quaife are based in the UK. Aftermarket. Strong. Built for racing.

The one posted originally in this thread is some sort of aftermarket clutch type lsd which i think was determined wouldn't fit anyways.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

I don't think anyone proved it wouldn't fit. From what I can see, it will fit. The models listed for the clutch type TJM centre are the same as the ones listed for the torsen Quaife. You just have to make sure you get the right one for the ratio.
Piazza Pete
Regular

Post by Piazza Pete »

Digging up and old thread here, but i'm reseaching my options.
Anyone considered this??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1970-1988-OP ... 2ebe681b97
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Don't do it they're crap!
Been discussed a few times on here over the years.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Get a real one like this!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270721481573 ... 1423.l2649

What's this not being able to edit my previous post crap? Afraid I might delete something?
antus
Regular

Post by antus »

ive got an altra-9 lsd in my coupe. cost about $1300 for the diff, bearings etc, $550 to get some commodore axels and get them cut down, resplined and converted to 4 stud (might go with the after market axels altra-9 sell with the kit next time), had to put a standard salsbery in as it was a tx with the borg warner, and then was a few hundred to 'get it set up' (not a diff expert, not sure what that entails). good setup, i reckon. Im planning on doing it again for the track car.
G200W TX Coupe with Delco EFI
SR20DET TX Track car.

http://www.pcmhacking.net/forums/
fatTG-TE

Post by fatTG-TE »

BAD 44u wrote:the guy from street and strip that does the spools and axles is chasing different ratios for me or ill get one from europe and get a petrol spool machined to suit the kaddet gears if possible.

if this works combined with 28 spline billet and the full spool in a racing application there is no reason to do a conversion.
i just orded my spool and axles from this guy pretty good price i thought 1350 delivered to my door melb to ipswich
Naukai

Re: another possible lsd option

Post by Naukai »

With the hilux diff swap that was mentioned before why not use Lokka Diff lockers or air lockers?

As I understand they don't have any slippages as a traditional LSD and hell of a lot cheaper, Lokka I believe are only around $500 however air lockers can be closer to $1k

I was looking into an air locker as I can't really fault them can turn them on and off at will and are about the same price as you guys are paying apart from o-ring issues... they should hold up to the abuse as you wouldn't need to crash lock them, ie engage them while spinning as the comp 4bs do.

A hilux conversion would bolt straight in.

Ash

Sorry if this is a noob question just thought that drag and drift cars would be using a locking mech rather than a simple lsd
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

4x4's & geminis are two different ball games ,, you would use a air locker on a 4x4 as you know for the ability to tune on & off ,,, a gemini built for the track there's no need to turn it off , so a mechanical locker is better IMO
Naukai

Post by Naukai »

Thanks Anthony... the lokka diffs are auto lockers and only about $450 or so

Ash

edit and aussie made
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

Oh yep I know the ones you are talking about , I looked into them for my cruiser at one stage ,, I thought they were clutch lockers tho ? :/