Diff Question

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
possessed3t
Regular

Post by possessed3t »

3.9 i think or 3.89
IF ITS NOT ORANGE.......IT'S A LEMON
ONE wrote: I have been touched by his noodley appendage
38te
n00b

Post by 38te »

Cheers mate. i hear old skool commodore diff gears fit on the gemini carrier?? and if any one knows wot model n year they would be out of?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

ZOMG theres a whole section about diffs!!!!!

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... php?t=9741

:roll:
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

CoupEME

Post by CoupEME »

Here are some pics of my conversion
biggest drama i had was connecting the panard rod to the diff, i had to put in a space'er i still dont like it. flexes a bit to much for my liking.

F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Hows the car drive compared to standard Simon?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

i would imagine that you can really feel the difference in one corner that another with the 3rd arm pivot point that far to one side.

looks good though.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Walked into P.E.T performance in thomastown today to watch a mates Datsun getting its Autronic tuned, im sure someones mentioned it before but they have a yellow TG sedan there with an RB30ET. And a VL rear end...

So i had to climb underneath and have a look, and what do you know its 4Link. Excuse the dodgy pics but i was wedged between a wall, the car, and i somehow had to angle my phone underneath.

Obviously un-equal length setup, but it would have to be better then the drag link/3link type. Whats the disadvantage of having such a short upper link?

Also been thinking about the setup that Gene posted as used in Camaros, corvettes etc - would it be possible to run brackets off the diff tubes [as close to the housing as possible] that boxes underneath the diff and runs up along the front and bolts near the torque tube mount?

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
KILAFJ
Regular

Post by KILAFJ »

looks like they have welded the commodore mount to the floor without any extra bracing to strengthen the floor. once the diff moves back and forth a few times it will crack the metal around the weld. its just like when you bend an aluminuim drink can back and forth, it will split.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

GeminiCoupe wrote: Obviously un-equal length setup, but it would have to be better then the drag link/3link type. Whats the disadvantage of having such a short upper link?
the diff will roll alot earlyer in the the suspension travel.. also they wouldnt be parallel either cos the floor is to low, so it would cause it to roll earlyer again
GeminiCoupe wrote: Also been thinking about the setup that Gene posted as used in Camaros, corvettes etc - would it be possible to run brackets off the diff tubes [as close to the housing as possible] that boxes underneath the diff and runs up along the front and bolts near the torque tube mount?
yeah u can do that, thats basicly how that rally gemini has been done as well as ZEP's gemini... only differnt is your mounting to the tubs on each side. only problem is, is if u mount the arms to the center of the car u will need a 2 piece shaft.. where as if u go to the side u can use a single as they wont get in the way of eachother

flippy

diff

Post by flippy »

replacing my gemini diff, does it matter if i put an auto into my manual car? :?:
06EMInick

Re: diff

Post by 06EMInick »

flippy wrote:replacing my gemini diff, does it matter if i put an auto into my manual car? :?:
no. unless your car is diesel.
jb ca18
n00b

volvo diff just mod plated

Post by jb ca18 »

just got my volvo rear end mod plated
Cuz
Regular

Re: volvo diff just mod plated

Post by Cuz »

jb ca18 wrote:just got my volvo rear end mod plated
details?
jb ca18
n00b

volvo diff

Post by jb ca18 »

its a 7 series volvo diff set up with a third arm similar to the mcdonalds bros setup except it has a custom mount that bolts to the old toque tube mounts intead of welding in a cross member also incorporated handbrake cable mount on yhe other side i tried to post pics but it says i havent posted enough yet
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

you need 10 post to post the pictures which u now have so u should be sweet.. if not sent them over to me and i can post them up for you :)
nismogemini@hotmail.com

what engineer did you use? im sure every one in brissy will be giving him some business 8)