Diff Question

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

No real reason just dont like the arm that I made. The ladder bars will mount to the tourqe tube crossmember I have a plan in my head 8)
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

but but but.. why..

the 3rd link would work so much better

if u do ladar bars only do one.. 2 will handle like a ironing board

http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0038eu.jpg
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

I dont get why they have used the center bearing from a commodore tail shaft?

Are they running a 2 peice tail shaft or 1 peice?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

2 piece

Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

3-link on a Hilux would be ok because you can weld to the housing I dont like mine because of the fact the center of the housing is cast and it looks ugly the way I had it setup. I only intend to do one ladder bar as well.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

fair enough

Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah I walked out the back and had a look at one of the spare diff next to the shed and yes they are cast so your couldnt set this up on a gemini diff and the other reason would be that the front of the housing doesnt have a yoke but I dunno whats involved in putting one of them onto the front of a gem diff housing. Looks like a good setup he has anyhow. What did he mean when he said it was "bounding up" ?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

Josh wrote:Yeah I walked out the back and had a look at one of the spare diff next to the shed and yes they are cast so your couldnt set this up on a gemini diff and the other reason would be that the front of the housing doesnt have a yoke but I dunno whats involved in putting one of them onto the front of a gem diff housing. Looks like a good setup he has anyhow. What did he mean when he said it was "bounding up" ?
lol, what the... u havnt read the whole thread haave ya.. burtrubber is using a commodore diff not a gemini one.. he stuck a link on the top like this

but he dosnt like the loop over the top (its ther cos he cant weld to the cast commo center)

so now he is gonna do ladar bars
(like this http://www.mcdonaldbrosracing.com.au/geminicontrol.html)

... but all im saying is he need to use only one (like in the picture on that site). cos if he uses 2 the diff will have hardly any articualation in the dif and would handle very very badly as a street car

Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

Oh ok sorry gene
Nah I didnt read the whole lot. My bad
I can't see the problem with running the loop over the center like the pic you posted. Looks good as long as it is welded correctly. There are so many different setups I have seen now...
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

I cant see any issues with running the hoop over the top either, there should be plenty of clearance between the housing and the floorpan. One question begs to be asked though - by running the ladder bar setup you wont be welding to the housing either so why bother going through all the hassles of shortening again? Why not just weld the ladder bar to the Commodore diff youve already shortened?

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

josh. no worrys.. thought i would give you a run down save u reading the whole thread ;)
tho there are some good pics he has posted ;)

nick.. im pretty sure he is using that diff .. just removing the loop and center link

F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Ah, i misinterpreted when he said he was doing a Hilux conversion, didnt realise it was for someone else.

Wouldnt a single ladder bar setup handle the same as a standard Gemini torque tube diff?

Nick-

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

Just finished reading this whole thread! Yeah I can see where your up to but I would deffinally be sticking with the 3 arm setup instead of running the 2 upper control arms. If the car is set up to only go in a straight line then yeah maybe head towards a 4 link setup but I can't see you having much luck getting good handling out of it for street use.

One other question was how did you manage to remove the axle housing from the diff center? Are they welded in or pressed in? Whats the deal? I always thought when they shortened a diff they cut the flanges off and rewelded them on?
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

4Link setup is upper control arms and lower control arms. The top link setup he was building is on the same principle. These setups are better for handling, not for drag racing.

For drag racing a single ladder bar style arrangement would work.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

No idea why you just wrote what you did...