What Distributor Is This??

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
defcon
Regular

Post by defcon »

I havent got much to add to this except to say that i have exactly the same dizzy and are having similar problems, old thread with a photo for the internal module here --->http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=30

Matt.
  • Gemsational
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Sorry i didnt spy this thread sooner.

That 87 Jackaroo was a 2.3L, the motor is in my shed.

Its simple, if your going to convert the distributor in your Gemini with the internals from another Nippon/Isuzu distributor grab the coil thats with that distributor in that vehicle when you get the dizzy. Unplug the dizzy from the coil and leave the wires on the coil, cut the ignition feed wire. No resistor needed, so all you have to do is attach the ignition feed wire on the gem straigt to the coil. Plug the coil plug back into the dizzy plug and your away.

Cheers. Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

defcon wrote:I havent got much to add to this except to say that i have exactly the same dizzy and are having similar problems, old thread with a photo for the internal module here --->http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=30

Matt.
I went and read thru that thread again. Basically if you dont know what it is (i think you do now) and what it came out of, you wont have any idea what you need to do to get it set up so it will work.
You need to find a car with that gear in it and use the lot or replicate it so it does the same job and you will be off and driving.

Sorry but thats the best advice i can give, its just common sense.

Thats what i did when i put the coil with module in the Rodeo. The Rodeo motor had the internal igniter the Shuttle motor didnt, i couldnt swap the dizzys over so i transplanted the Shuttle setup, just put the coil and ballast resistor that was in the Shuttle in the Rodeo and put the wires on. It started and ran straight away.

Thats what it needed in the car/motor it was in, so thats what it will need in a Gemini. You said you had the part number or similar, fing out what cars it fits and go to the wreckers, read the thread above. Happy hunting.

Cheers. Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
3xZ
Regular

Post by 3xZ »

The distributer looks like an old import one.

If the car was ever tuned properly they may have done a 180" with it to help the retard and advance and the enginees need?
http://www.cdtcars.com.au/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=1

CDT "Fun to Drive"

"CDTs WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE"
gibbo
n00b

Post by gibbo »

Ok i'm a newbie with a TG and want an electonic Dizzy.

What the cheapest and easiest internals upgrade....ie what do I get from the local wreckers to put in my Dizzy.

Sounds like the 2.3 Rodeo / Shuttle is a good one?

Gibbo
GEM-10W
Regular

Post by GEM-10W »

there is a bloke on ebay who builds them up and sells them ready to go in. Search for "Gemini" under cars bikes and boats and you will see a few
Ban low performance drivers
Not high performance cars
VaS
n00b

distributor question- to make efi g200 turbo work asap!

Post by VaS »

i have a dizzie in my g200 at the moment, it has two vacuum advances and it and has igniter built in, not really sure what its from because i went to parts shop to get a rotor button and it wasnt gemini, rodeo or jackeroo.
the guy that owned the car before said it was from an import motor.

im trying to get ignition setup (to control timing) on my microtech LT8 computer ( running fuel only atm) but they said i cant use my dizzie because it isnt compatible with my comp ( all they said was "it wont work")

i also converted a standard gemini dizzie to elec. ign. with the crane fireball xr700 module. they told me that one would not work either ( which makes sense, it looks like the same setup as the one that is described above.)

NOW, they told me to get my hands on an original g200 dizzie out of rodeo ( they are electronic apparently?) and they have an external igniter which is the type of setup i need.

does anyone know if this dizzie would work with my comp because microtech is really not helping much with explaining things to me properly and everytime i ask them about something they just tell me "bring it in so we can look at it". they are a 45min drive from where i live and its getting annoying/expensive driving out there every second day.

here is a pic of dizzie if you's can see it( the stupid fuel line had to be in the way aye) sorry dont have close-ups

any help with this headache would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
bill
1979 Atlantis Blue TD wagon
G200
38DGMS Weber
3 speed auto

Currently doing head work + home work to get the best out of the g200/ carby setup
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

You will need to take a pic in the top of it, useless otherwise.

Perhaps you should look around a bit before you PM me next time. Found this on the second page of the Gemini chat thread.

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... hp?t=14237

Should look the same as yours.
I could possibly have a cap and rotor to fit that dizzy, but you would have to come here to be sure.

I dont see how this setup wouldnt work.

You going to have to look around buddy, theres been plenty of threads on dizzys and modules and all sorts of stuff.

As for after market EFI, i dont know dick.

PS, dear forum GOD, can i please get a special 3000 word signature box????? Id like to make it clear as to when its appropriate to send me a PM. Lots of love little bobby.

Yeah im being a bit harsh. Dude i have no idea what your microtech will need and sounds to me like you dont either.

Heres a little write up by our very own EFI Guru Warren,
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... php?t=5943
I would suggest you read it.

Bob.
VaS
n00b

Post by VaS »

thats what im tryna find out champ. as i said, microtech aint that much
help to me.
i dont know what im looking for, soo i dont know what to search.
1979 Atlantis Blue TD wagon
G200
38DGMS Weber
3 speed auto

Currently doing head work + home work to get the best out of the g200/ carby setup
thomas4parts
n00b

Post by thomas4parts »

hi there , in the late 1980's i believe those distributers came from japan on jap import 1800 cc g180 and they also had fuel injection manifolds on them , as i recieved heaps of them. cheers
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Yep - typically from DOHCs etc. Also Piazzas, though rotation direction changes.
The DOHC Piazzas had the 4ZE1 guts (dual-optic pickup) with no vac or mech advance.

The RB dizzy guts are the equivalent for RWD Geminis.
dingus14
n00b

Post by dingus14 »

hey m9 havbnt got alot to say but i got a gemi recently with a 2lt... i just replaced the rotor cap and button...just took the gemi to the repco and went through the books eventually found it...
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Dingus - be careful when replying - some threads are VERY old and are not used except for a laugh ("backward mounted vacuum advance"; "no external module needed", etc).
This thread was awoken by someone recently.
Even so, the rotors & caps in this thread should all be standard Gemini.
Nothing hard about that.
lynn1221
n00b

Post by lynn1221 »

well to me it looks like an RB dizzy's internals. Is it a standard gemini dizzy with RB internals and a vacuum advance unit?
lynn1221
n00b

Post by lynn1221 »

Its pictured in your diagrams. Pick up then ignighter.

The one you posted is the same internals as the 2L Shuttle and the 2.3L Rodeo. Its an internal ignighter module. Middle two, 2L Shuttle left 2.3L Rodeo right.