178mm Salisbury LSD

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

don't want to hijack the thread but can't find anything in search either.
to use the 178mm slaisbury lsd do I need to get it with a certain ratio or can I just fit it with a gemini ring gear and have it fitted?
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

I would say it would fit but there's only one way to be sure and thats to try it. For my borg warner conversion I got a 4.1-1 out of a 2L Berlina and put it on my LSD center that came out of an XF Falcon.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

ok I haven't been able to find one of these yet but as time is of the essence I cant sit around and wait till one pops up. the problem is I need to use shortened axels to run a 5 stud rear with the vl commo disks but don't want to have to get them splined to suit the gems centre and have to have a second set resplined later when I finally find an lsd.

my question is, are the open diffs from the commo salisbury the same spline as the lsd's? I could just fit one of these to solve my dillemma and get away with just changing the centre later when an lsd is found?
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

WHOA!!! the BORG WARNER diff as used in the LATER Commodores is not the same as a Salisbury diff. It's also different to the BORG WARNER that was used in the early Gemini models.

The BORG WARNER diff will need to be sourced with suitable gear ratios to begin with.

The Salisbury diff used in VB-VK Commodores is pretty much the same as a Gemini Salisbury diff. Some components are different but should be interchangable. The small gears that have hollow splined centres (the axles slip in these) differ because the Commodore and the Gemini have a smaller diameter axle shaft end and a lesser number of splines. The Commodore pinion gear is also different in the way it is finished. The Gemini has a splined hub to accept the torque tube inner drive shaft where the Commodire has a flange fitted. This means they won't interchange. The crown gears are matched to their pinion and should never be seperated and fitted to a different gear. They are a set, keep them that way.

You should be able to pull the LSD differential centre (that's the cast sub housing that bolts to the crown gear) from a Commodore diff and then refit it to the Gemini crown gear. This means the axles will need to be replaced with cut down and resplined Commodore axles.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

ta mate. I know the borg doesn't fit, I was actually talking about using the small salisbury. but what I need to know is are the splines in the commodores sals lsd and open wheel center's the same so I can avoid having a second set of axels resplined when I finally find an lsd.
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

best asked on a commodore site I reckon...
gene wrote:Lok for mod………………… HAHAHAAHAHA not realy???? LOL. When hell freezes over and cocks fall from the heavens
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Same axles as a single wheeler. That's generally the case with all LSD centres.
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

I have found a small sailsbury LSD from a Torana what do I need to fit it into my other Gemini standard diff are the axles the same? I don't own it yet its an online auction if its gunna be to hard I won't bother spending heaps biding for it.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

if u wamt to convert to a commodore stud pattern then you just have to have some commodore axels shortened to suit. I'm pretty sure the commodores use a different spline to the gemini's. have a talk to sheel, he had one of these fitted to his gem, he knows the details.
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

The center is out of a Torana not a Commodore. Do Commodores and Toranas have the same axles? Anyway if I have to shorten axles ect I'm gunna flag it hope someone else bid's higher than me :lol: or I might get it for a later on maybe.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

A quick trip to a Holden wrecker will tell you if the Torana and Commy axles are the same.

Im not sure if you can get discs for a Torana diff, youd have to check that.

The Torana is the same stud pattern as the Volvo, you could try putting volvo brakes on the front, the latter ones with the four pistion calipers.

You could get the Commy axles cut with the torana splines to suit the centre.

I doubt they would be different, the Holden Banjo diffs were all the same no matter what car they were fitted in (well with the exception of the fine and coarse when the changed them).

Cheers. Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
j_portgemini

Post by j_portgemini »

cheers for that are the wb centres hard to get are they lsd? and how muchare they if anyone knows

cheers..... :lol:
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

j_portgemini wrote:cheers for that are the wb centres hard to get are they lsd? and how muchare they if anyone knows

cheers..... :lol:
Youve got a pretty good shot at a WB diff being LSD, they are work utes after all.
My thinking on that would be that all WB's should have the big sailsbury in them. But apparently the small was fitted in place of the banjo because it was dropped.
1 tonners all have the big one no matter what motor they had a different front yolk and larger unis than the other big sailsburys as well. A lot of them were LSD.
One tonner axles are the best ones to get a hold of, especially for shortening. They are the same diameter all the way to the spline, they taper right at the last bit. The other axles taper just after the face for the bearing retainer sleve and are the spline diameter all the way to the end.

Keep in mind that the stud patterns are different from kingswood to Commodore. Its not by much only a few thou, the difference between imperial for Kingswood and then metric for the Commodore, but they are different. Hence why they changed the center hole diameter in the Commy rims.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
3xZ
Regular

Post by 3xZ »

Best bet is talk to a diff & gear box shop.

They will know what is compatible,

as a note the torque tube axel will turn only so many times before it twists and brakes, so to big a diff/axels may cuase other probs.

You can convert a LSD Banjo diff by swaping a few bits in the centre

Cheers
http://www.cdtcars.com.au/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=1

CDT "Fun to Drive"

"CDTs WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE"
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

Tell us a little more about converting banjo LSD's I nearly bought one for $50 just to try because I've read about some parts been interchangable. I never bothered because I did'nt want to wast my money in the end.