Turbo vs Supercharger

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
hsvgem
Long Term Member

Post by hsvgem »

they are both great...
I'm flipping the coin between turbo or supercharger at the moment...
not an easy choice...
it is leaning towards a supercharger at the moment....
i believe i can set up a supercharger for cheaper than a good turbo...
I dont want extreme boost levels...
All i can say is, whenever people are trying to achieve extreme powers,
they seem to use turbos... But than again if you look at drag cars, they use superchargers... Maybe its also something to do with straight and V engines... I think indy cars are a v8 and they use turbos....
Stuff it.... They are both great, it just comes down to budget...
tom

Post by tom »

With a supercharger you lose 30% to gain the extra 70%, superchargers a constantly on.
Turbochargers kick in a certain high RPM (3ooorpm) you lose know power because it obviously not belt driven.
Or you can set the engine up so it is supercharged and turbocharged.
666gem
Regular

Post by 666gem »

personaly i am doing up a gem not a skyline
so i like the super charger my self.
not that i think they are better just not as common.
tx coupe project car
now goung on 6 years one day i will have the time to finnish it
Now where did that spell check button thing me bob go
www.bitchmakemeasandwich.com
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

As has been said already, superchargers are just generally less efficient. Also your fuel economy may well eat s*#t because on a turbo you can whack down the boost and it may even be MORE economic than NA. Superchargers will always be less fuel economic.

I spent a long time debating this but came to the conclusion that a smallish turbo (T28) would be better than supercharging. Plus if you're going to spend the money on forced induction you may as well do the one with (arguably) more potenial and efficiency, which will probably pay off the purchase price difference in fuel anyway.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
Crumz

Post by Crumz »

Ahh angel, the wee grasshoppah :P

Don't you know you can get clutch operated chargers that allow you to turn the boost on and off via a switch located where ever you want??

:P
Another Quality Post by Crumz

Fix the roads, not the fines.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

lol I was told the only way to change boost was to change the cogs :lol:
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

archangel62 wrote:lol I was told the only way to change boost was to change the cogs
Which is still true.
Crumz wrote:Don't you know you can get clutch operated chargers that allow you to turn the boost on and off via a switch located where ever you want??
Im yet to see one work outside of a factory engine setup.

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

As everyone has already stated, it all depends on what you want from the car.

there are 3 main types of supercharger, (roots, centrifugal, and screw type blowers.) Now over the years ive heard many opinions on which is the best charger to use, and it only needs a quick glance at the performance aftermarket to see which is the the most popular. The centrifugal charger is probably the most widly used these days, with companies like Vortech, Paxton or ATI making various models to suit many different engine characteristics, But when it all comes down to it, Its basically a cranck driver turbo. The compressor has very simmilar mapping to that of a simmilar sized turbo's compressor, The only real difference being that the supercharger inflicts Parasitic loss onto the engine, whereas the turbo uses waste gas from the engine to function.

The main reason that people are using superchargers however, is strictly for the low to mid torque figures, and the low overall setup price. In my books, those pissweak toyota superchargers dont deserve a look in. They are Archaic pieces of junk at the best of times. For a supercharger i would personally be lookin at one of the bigger centrifugal charger manufacturers and see what the have on offer. or if you have the dollars, invest in an Opcon Autorotor screw type charger, you will never look back.

for the best allround performance, look no further than a turbo system. When correctly setup, a good turbo system can deliver boost at the rpm you want and carry an even power and torque curve, pretty much to redline. look towards the JGTC (japanese GT championship) and you will see that the race leaders are always in well developed turbo cars, and the guys that have all the issues mid race with bad fuel efficiency and major heatsoak, are the guys running the supercharger setup. infact the only race applications that seems to pit superchargers in front turbo's, is offshore marine racing where having a shitload of power and torque down low is essential, or burnout comps.

The only real inherint problem for the turbo setup, is that it will cost more that a supercharger to setup, due to the amount of associated hardware needed to make the system work. But at the end of the day, a well setup turbo system can and will be your best friend.

my2c

josh
isuzu_gem
Regular

Post by isuzu_gem »

im on GeminiCoupe/nicks side with what he says and with tx240 too

there is f*#k all heat transfer to worry about with a turbo as the air dosent spend enff time within the turbocharger to obsorbe the heat and the surface area is small,the heat is from the compression of the air and the efficiency of the turbo
if anything a supercharger would be more likely to introduce the possibility of detonation as the torque curve comes on alot lower and stronger than a turbocharged system, but what like what was said befor fuel values and ignition timing will stop this from happening

pete
What about all the good things Hitler did!
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Cheers Nick (GeminiCoupe) and good call TX240. I've heard similar bad things about that Toyota blower, and the reference to JGTC was a good one.

Turbos just have better base efficiency which makes everything easier, and personally, high rpm is the most important place for power.
RIX
Regular

Post by RIX »

archangel62 wrote:Cheers Nick (GeminiCoupe) and good call TX240. I've heard similar bad things about that Toyota blower, and the reference to JGTC was a good one.

Turbos just have better base efficiency which makes everything easier, and personally, high rpm is the most important place for power.

buy a rota if want high rpm pwr????
Spoons are for stabbing!
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

post contents removed
Last edited by Gemi Coupe on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

and rebuilds
Thought it was a good idea at the time to beat-box with shaving cream on my face, until it started snowing.
RIX
Regular

Post by RIX »

Gemi Coupe wrote:buy a rota if you like cooked chickens? :lol:

buy a random random engine they r fukin random as!! :lol:
Spoons are for stabbing!
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Rotor = rebuilds, s*#t sound, less torque, no fuel efficiency, can't rebore, etc.

High RPM relative to what the engine's capable of. Clearly in a thread about forced induction I'm not talking about ways to increase maximum RPM... :P