Turbo vs Supercharger

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

Regarding heatsoak.

i belive from watching Ric Shaw race and many others that a turbo is more acceptable to than a supercharger. Even though alloy is a great conductor of heat. the fact there is alot more piping and metal in a turbo setup that this contributes to there problem. I mean its MHO but i very rarely see a supercharged car having slower lap times as a race goes on but you dn't see many supercharged race cars out there.

Also with superchargers if you spin them faster than there recommended operating speed/boost levels. you will destroy there rotors and telfon seals.

each have the benefits and you must decide which one will suit your needs.

As for the arguement regarding high hp in higher RPM. the faster you spin something the quicker it wears out.
thats why alot of people aim for mid range Hp and torque
FieldEffect
Was dangerous_dave

Post by FieldEffect »

Im guessing it takes a quantifiable amount of energy to compress air to a certain pressure.

And im guessing there is going to be a parasitic power loss from the engine to compress this air - be it in the form of rotational load on the crank or an increase in back pressure on our engine.

In theory a turbo charger producing 10psi is going to rob an engine of the same amount of power as a supercharger, with the only power difference being related to the efficiency of the two different compressors?
Gemini: Light weight, low cost RWD automotive platform.
FieldEffect
Was dangerous_dave

Post by FieldEffect »

the faster you spin something the quicker it wears out
Dont tell my CBR250 that :P
Gemini: Light weight, low cost RWD automotive platform.
hsvgem
Long Term Member

Post by hsvgem »

they are both capable to do the same things....
local performance shop decided to use a twin turbo
setup on a GEN3 to produce around 1000 horsepower,
while CAPA has supercharger kits to produce similar
power...
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

Im running a blower for the simple reason its heaps easier to go back to n/a simply by dissconnecting the belt!

CHRIS...
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

I'm sorry but for off the line performance superchargers have the edge i believe. My supercharged Vt goes pretty well considering it's only stock.. and my g series with the blower went like hell to.. plenty of power to over take and just cruise around with while turbo lag is going to take some getting used to when driving the rotary...

The flutter f@*ken sexy... the supercharger wine and appealing i recon.
Boostin for lyfe!
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

Yeah agree with nath, the whine is damn attractive. I fired mine up around 2 months ago and was in love just havent had the time to fit it up yet! Also the boost is more constant/predictable!

CHRIS...
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

here's a small vid of me over taking a ute in my supercharged vt... obvoisly this isnt full throttle and i wasnt aiming at hitting 200kms/h but at the end you can see the over speed beep come in at 140, and you can hear the charger spoolup and just sit nicely on boost..

Boostin for lyfe!
antus
Regular

Post by antus »

a couple of points not too relevant to gemis, but suit this subject heres a short story... a mate of mine was comparing supercharger vs turbo to put on his VN commodore. He decided that he liked the advantages of turbos more, but being a V6, you couldnt easily plumb a turbo up to the exhaust on one side of the engine and so it required 2 turbos and/or a lot of extra pipeing. He got some quotes and decided a capa super charger kit was the go. This worked well, but of course then the stocko ECU and 1 bar map sensor couldnt handle the extra pressure more than beyond a point. It'd launch then bang! it hit the top of the air/fuel tables and sensors and stuttered and generally was pretty nasty. It didnt break though, and both of us being computer guys and me being in to electronics he took to it himself and swapped in a 2 bar map and tryed to reprogram the chip. This sorta worked but wasnt optimal and the ecu permanently threw a map error warning. But the car did run better anyway! So he took it to some local "experts" who charged him $400 to set it up properly. He got it home and checked the chip to see what they did. All they had done was turn of the error setting for the map sensor to hide the error light! What a waste of $400.... Anyway if youve got a stocko car and are going forced induction, think about your ECU and sensors too... even though you'll get away with it to a point.... And on a V engine, superchargers are definatly easyer... but turbo is more my personal taste.
TGFORC
Regular

Post by TGFORC »

Its like asking "how long is a piece of string?"
Both setups have their good points & bad points, example a blown engine might have boost close to idle but run out off puff at the top, whereas a turbo comes on boost later in the rev range. i think its a matter of personal taste, some love the whine of a blower, and others like the sppol of a turbo....
R.I.P. LCD-754 MSJ-142 AEQ-83P AMO-07T CUTLOW
karl017

Post by karl017 »

Didn't have time to read all of the replies so i could be repeating, but from wat i know superchargers aren't street legal, turbo's are. Obviously it depends wat ur using ur car for.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

karl017 wrote:Didn't have time to read all of the replies so i could be repeating, but from wat i know superchargers aren't street legal, turbo's are. Obviously it depends wat ur using ur car for.
errr......... :?
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

so factory s/c commodors, toyota corolas, mercs etc.. arnt street legal???
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

yeah, has me puzzled too, i better go hide mine then. What about trucks and busses that run them. Its just another form of increasing the atmosphere to the motor, i think you should read through the rest of the thread before making a comment like that.
Thought it was a good idea at the time to beat-box with shaving cream on my face, until it started snowing.
karl017

Post by karl017 »

sorry, i dont know wat i was on when i posted that.