Hello from California

Forum for all the new members to ask all them questions we have heard before.
Flaming will not be tolerated... If the regulars don’t want to read noobie stuff then don’t open this forum.
juans74luvn
n00b

Hello from California

Post by juans74luvn »

Hello everyone I'm new to this site. I just bought my self a 4zd1 motor and 5 transmission. I don't have a Gemini but I do have a Chevy luv. I want to swap my stock 1.6 and put this engine in. I want to turbo it also. Any suggestions on the first steps I need to take? One last thing when I picked up the engine last Sunday it was all dismantled.
firebug
Regular

Re: Hello from California

Post by firebug »

Hi Juan got any pics of the Luv?
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
juans74luvn
n00b

Post by juans74luvn »

firebug wrote:Hi Juan got any pics of the Luv?
Yes I do it's a project so they are not the best. Are you from Newcastle CA?
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

No mate Newcastle in NSW Australia. We visited CA last year and loved it. Chuck your photos up anyway mate. I bet we have seen worse... :D
juans74luvn
n00b

Post by juans74luvn »

firebug wrote:No mate Newcastle in NSW Australia. We visited CA last year and loved it. Chuck your photos up anyway mate. I bet we have seen worse... :D
Oh I see. Newcastle CA is about an hour and 20 mins from me. This here is my 1974 luv.
juans74luvn
n00b

Post by juans74luvn »

Here it is
Attachments
IMG_20170616_065138.jpg
IMG_20170616_065138.jpg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 14431 times
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Very cool. Looks like it will be a good little project...
juans74luvn
n00b

Post by juans74luvn »

Yes thank you. Do you know where I can find parts for this engine?
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Rockauto? The 4Z series engine is not that uncommon
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Hey Juan,

Like Toby said, you shouldnt have too many problems finding parts up your way, the 4Z series engine was pretty common and was used in a wide range of cars sold in the US - Impulse, P'up, Trooper and Amigo i think, maybe a few others.

In terms of turbocharging, it will depend on your budget/goals. Let us know just exactly WHAT you want to achieve out of it and we should be able to advise a bit better

Cheers

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
juans74luvn
n00b

Post by juans74luvn »

Yea I did look up rockauto and they do have every part you can think off for any vehicle. My ultimate goal is to get a turbo kit from Ben (TurboGemini.com). Something around the 250hp to 300hp. Now I did get this motor and tranny from a guy who got it from a salvage yard. Should my first step be to have it rebuilt? And since I'm doing that do I need to change the valves, cam, pistons, ECT. Or what should I have the engine shop just make it almost "stock". Should I also have the tranny rebuilt because I don't know how many miles are on it also.

Thanks guys.
Attachments
IMG_20170621_114617.jpg
IMG_20170621_114617.jpg (169.45 KiB) Viewed 14363 times
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

I would definitely rebuild it, particularly if you plan on turbocharging it. Your HP goals are actually achievable on standard internals provided the tune is done correctly and you dont go too crazy with boost levels.

Without knowing the exact combination of parts you have it can be a bit difficult to specify an exact recipe, so ill just assume its the exact same as the 4ZD1s we got in Aus. For 250-300hp at the engine, i would do the following:

Bore and hone block to next size available piston, deck and hot tanked
New OEM or Federal Mogul 4ZD1 pistons and rings, ring gap set to suitable for turbo [cant remember the exact number, was a few thou larger per inch of bore]
Machine crank and big end journals to next size up, new bearings to suit. Speak to your machinist and aim to get the bearing clearances on the lower end [ill explain lower]
Have rods resized, replace oil pump

Doing the above will get you a fresh engine that should comfortably hold the power you want PROVIDED the tune is done by someone that knows what they are doing and you dont go crazy with RPM/Boost. I made similar power [~215hp] at the wheels on a standard G161z which is what the Luv would have had originally. With the extra capacity the 4Z has, you should be able to do it no problem provided your turbo is big enough to support the power. Regarding the crank machining, a lot of machinists get a bit lazy - you might ask for a 10/10 [or .25mm] grind but theyll turn around and say nahh it was good with just a linish. Problem is if the crank has been linished before, or if the journals have had more wear etc linishing the crank may mean that it ends up on the higher end of the bearing clearance scale which isnt ideal for a turbo engine. Tell them you want X/X size and your aiming for .076mm [first line on plastigauge]

In terms of head, the 4ZE1 heads are much better however the combustion chamber would be too large to just bolt on to a 4ZD1 which would lower the compression ratio substantially which is what you dont want. Light port clean up, get the machinist to cut for 4ZE1 valves which are larger. Get a cam ground to suit turbo application [i cant help with that, im useless with cam specs lol] and heavier valve springs.

Honestly, it should s*#t that power level in on less than 15psi - as long as you dont try to do it with, say a standard Isuzu Impulse turbo
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

I would give it a compression test and if it came up OK fit it and drive it for while.

That way you can get the bugs out of the fitting and any mods and go from there.
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

E1 head (even the early open chamber one) will work on a D1. You can buy them new cheap, that's what I'd do head wise. PM Thomas4parts on Facebook for 4Z specific parts like adjustable cam gears etc
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

As nick pointed out, for that power level I would go with stock bottom end rebuild with resized crank

Definitely 4zE1 head with a reground cam to suit- delta in the USA do cam regrinds to suit 4z series. Go with their mild option (230 degreee duration at 0.050"). You will want to use upgraded valve springs to suit the new cam - like Coxy said, speak to Lee Thomas he will be able to help you out.

Whatever turbo you choose, you need a proper intake and exhaust system to allow it to breathe. Stock 4ze1 injection manifold will be ok for your power goals and any exhaust shop can make a 3" full exhaust for you (unless you can diy)

If you want a relatively cheap but quality turbo that will work well, use a journal bearing borg warner s251sx from agp turbo in USA - $700 for turbo and housing for a 450hp turbo is not bad.

Or if you're looking on the cheap, look for a second hand gt2860 - make sure you use at least a 0.63 housing, and this will top out at 320-350hp on your 4zd1 given choke of the back wheel but otherwise will be ok with you use a free flowing 3" turbo back exhaust.

For even cheaper oem turbos I would look at a used vf48 (or vf52) turbo off a subaru Sti - they're both the same turbo with different front housings with difference being either hose outlet or flange outlet for the standard subaru tmic. They came off a 2.5 litre so will do OK with the 2.3L., and have been known to make up to 300hp atw on e85.

Seeing as your in California, your biggest restriction tuning wise will be your s*#t fuel - 91 is not the best for performance turbo engines, and no e85 (unless things have changed recently) means you're going to be knock limited on the dinosaur fuel.

Good luck

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature