Want Delco EFI??? Heres how to remove it from a Pulsar/Astra

Engine related articles specific to induction (carby, EFI etc.)
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Any further updates Dexy???

I was looking for a picture i thought i had posted up on the forum here somewhere but i cant find it. Its relavant to the above conversion so i will post it here.

Its also relavant to any EFI conversion that needs a VSS.

Option 1

If you want to run the conventional cable driven gemini speedo but need a signal you need a cable splitter box. This is similar to a cable drive speed corrector.

Shown on a Gemini box with an N13 pulsar speed sender.

This one is 1:1 driven

Believe it or not i found this on an old Toyota Dyna, with my hawk like eyes for a bargain, in my travels. It was a bit seized up and manky but i gave it a little love and its like new now. Upwards of $200 worth last i heard.

Option 2,

is go with the speed sender directly onto the box and adapt the electronic speedo into the gemini cluster. This is something i will work on one day (and i will take into consideration what Dexy has said above)

Just a note on Delco speed senders.
The N13 one is the same as a gemini with a round cable with a washer tab/tang.
The V6 commodore has a square plastic drive and its brittle and easily broken if your not careful taking it off.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Just a note that a divide by 2 to 10 circuit is easy.
I can supply a circuit if needed (given time).
It's based on a CD4017 16-pin chip ($1 from Jaycar etc).
One limitation - except for divide by 10 & 2 - is that the output pulse width will equal one pulse of the input frequency - ie, its duty cycle will not be 50%, but this should not be a problem for other circuits.

FYI - A divide by 10 is easy - pins 8 (Vss = gnd) & 15 (reset) & 13 (clock enable) to chassis. Pin 16 (Vdd = +ve supply) to +12V (max +15V).
The input "clock" (pulse) signal goes to pin 14.
The input signal must swing from (say) less then +3V to above +7V.
The output can be taken from almost any of its outputs, but I'd suggest using output "1" = pin 2. (Note that it starts counting from "output 0".)
(If 50% duty cycle is required and it's a divide by 10 circuit, use the "Carry Out" output = pin 12, noting that this pin is normally hi and goes low between counts 5 to 9.)
The outputs go high (ie +12V) when triggered but can only supply about 0.5mA (but they "sink" about 2mA when low/off).
To modify for "divide by n", connect the reset pin 13 to the respective output (but divide by 2 may have output pulse-width some issues).
Add capacitors for supply filtering (ie, between pins 8 & 16, say 10uF and 0.1nF) and a few protection diodes may be worthwhile.
But this is FYI only and not intended to show or explain what comes best in a diagram. It is info for the electronic-savvy readers out there.
Last edited by IZU069 on Wed May 21, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Using the Pulsar dash (with tacho) would be easier.

The time is fast aproaching for me to get started on the budget 1600 conversion.

I have the whole EFi setup in a box that will be unearthed soon.

Watch this space for the first bit,

1. Mounting the TB on the manifold. The manifold needs to be modified, centre divider cut out and bolt pattern. I will probably make an adapter plate. Modify the original air cleaner to fit so it still looks stock.

2. Then i will do the distributor. Machine down a G series dizzy and mate the one off the pulsar to the top of it with the module and everything. Could seek further advice on that yet. Possibly fit internals inside the Gseries housing and mount the module else where.

3. 02 sensor in the exhast manifold (in the EGR hole, is an undrilled blank in my manifold)

4.EFI fuel pump. Camira/VL inline pump.

The list will go on.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
g200wgem
n00b

Post by g200wgem »

may sound dumb to people who know way to much about n13 pulsars but as i know little to nothing about them ill ask

are all n13s tbi or is there any multi point setups

if not is there anything i can adapt a multipoint setup from or if there are multi point n13s which ones would i be looking for cheers
Lil Willsy
A Nice Guy

Re: Want Delco EFI??? Heres how to remove it from a Pulsar/A

Post by Lil Willsy »

Wish the pics still worked on this :(
TD. daily.
TE 2dr
Kevin wills 6/7/08

I Don't Like Hills...
Javi
Regular

Re: Want Delco EFI??? Heres how to remove it from a Pulsar/A

Post by Javi »

Soz Willsy. Maybe next time I pull one apart I'll take pics.
troyrotor wrote:ozgem classifieds - for all your mowing needs