Drivetrain: Torque Tube Rubber repairs.

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
gemhead
Long Term Member

Post by gemhead »

i did it today, took it for a spin earlier an it seemed prity good, we'll see tomoro

that sickaflex s*#t is fun to work with isnt it :shock:
Buckna
Long Term Member

Post by Buckna »

gemhead wrote:i did it today, took it for a spin earlier an it seemed prity good, we'll see tomoro

that sickaflex s*#t is fun to work with isnt it :shock:
sure is, you shouldn't have any trouble... Most of the boys up here with higher powered gems are running this setup for a rubber, and it's all holding up, the only problem is that the stupid tube bends to easy...

Let me know how you go.
gene wrote:Lok for mod………………… HAHAHAAHAHA not realy???? LOL. When hell freezes over and cocks fall from the heavens
Gem...
Regular

Post by Gem... »

i did this to my torque tube in the gem a while ago, but didnt clean it enough :lol:
so its starting to wear away a bit
gemhead
Long Term Member

Post by gemhead »

Gem... wrote:i did this to my torque tube in the gem a while ago, but didnt clean it enough :lol:
so its starting to wear away a bit
yer i got abit excited and got straight into sickaflexing it without cleaning it at all, so hopfully it sticks alright
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

In the process of doing this, I'll add a bit of info:

Clark Rubber do not stock the rubber you need (at least not here). Go to an industrial rubber outlet, not a commercial place. I got high density rubber in two sizes, thick and thin, for the various parts and so I could get it all in really tight. The thicker size I got like a metre of, the thinner half a metre, and all up it cost like $11. This is probably enough to do two torque tube rubbers.

Sikaflex 227 Automotive - try a hardware store or maybe MotorTraders. You'll need a caulking gun to apply it, as has been mentioned use gloves or rub some oil on your hands/etc. I got two tubes of it, it too should be enough to do two torque tube rubbers if I use plenty of the high density foam s*#t. All up the Sika cost $20 off a dude I know, but he said that was about half RRP so I guess $15-20 per tube?

I'm thinking I'll keep the bracings around one side abit thinner, to encourage the mount to pivot a little, as the torque tube rubber has to allow the torque tube to pivot about 6 degrees vertically for up/down suspension travel (based on 10cm of sus travel) and maybe 5deg each way to allow for body roll.. but it should be alright.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
TRISTAN86
Regular

Post by TRISTAN86 »

kizza wrote:just a quick tip, have a cup of water handy or spit on your finger, then smear the sikaflex in smooth, if your finger is wet the sikaflex wont stick to your finger (dont worry it doesnt effect the sikaflex's curing). i know this because im a marine mechanic and i use the s*#t literelly every day.
thought i'd put my two cents in... wax and grease remover is a great solvent for sikaflex, you can use it to smooth over your repairs and clean up afterwards.it doesn't effect the curing either. :D
gemzini
n00b

tailshaft

Post by gemzini »

hey people i got a light blu tg and my tailshaft tinks its arse off. i dunno if it is the unijoints of the torque tube? :wink:
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Re: tailshaft

Post by SICKTG »

gemzini wrote:hey people i got a light blu tg and my tailshaft tinks its arse off. i dunno if it is the unijoints of the torque tube? :wink:
your prob best posting this in the noob section :wink:
Bellys 77
Regular

Post by Bellys 77 »

run to the bathroom grap the liquid soap off the edge of the sink put that on ya finger works the best...
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

i just HTFU and did it with nothing on my hands
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

I f*#cked mine pretty good,the torque tube housing moves around in the mount there. is it meant to do that and I didn't have any rubber in there at all when i took it out :shock:
ideas, im just waiting for it to dry heaps coz its like the only thing holding the housing in position against the mounting.
geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

Its in, fingers crossed it all goes well, going for a drive now :P, I put s*#t loads of sikaflex in and i put some around the other side of the joint, squirting in from the front.
healy
n00b

Post by healy »

Apart from the thumping (when broken completely) will you visualy beable to see its cracked or starting to split?
As in when its worn does it wear the same as a regualr rubber mount?
geminiv6turboute
Long Term Member

Post by geminiv6turboute »

healy wrote:Apart from the thumping (when broken completely) will you visualy beable to see its cracked or starting to split?
As in when its worn does it wear the same as a regualr rubber mount?
put your car up an some ramps,and have a look at the torque rubber if it is stuffed you will see one of the 2 sides will of split from the outer housing.

manipulate the tail shaft up and down and side to side, you will soon see if its broken.

if you do decide to sikaflex it make sure its really clean so the sikaflex sticks properly,a pressure cleaner is best for this.
healy
n00b

Post by healy »

Cheers man, any other method for cleaning it? paint thinner or degreaser?