Sailsbry diff info. LSD for your gem possibly

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Storm wrote:
Rodeobob wrote:Who said borgwarner???

They are a sailsbury.
Just to clear up some facts. A Salisbury is a type of differential just like a Banjo is a type of differential. Borg Warner is not a type of differential but a manufacturer of differentials who makes Salisbury type differentials.
Got your point but if they were all called Sailsbury diffs that would be real confusing. lol.

BW is easier to explain it. A more correct name is BW78.

I always though that they were called Sailsbury diffs because they were made at Holdens plant in Sailsbury in Adelaide.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Storm
Chatterbox

Post by Storm »

Why is everything confusing? A diff with a rear hat is a salisbury, a diff that is fitted to the axle housing via the front is a banjo. Bargwarner is a manufacturer of salisburys. Even my old 77 Bandit T/A had a salisbury and it was not built in Adelaide.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Storm wrote:Why is everything confusing? A diff with a rear hat is a salisbury, a diff that is fitted to the axle housing via the front is a banjo. Bargwarner is a manufacturer of salisburys. Even my old 77 Bandit T/A had a salisbury and it was not built in Adelaide.

Because the VK Commodore switched from the Holden Sailsbury diff to the BW78 diff midway thru the model.

Thats why its confusing.

Also the early fords were fitted with a BW manufactured diff and the holdens with Sailsbury diffs.

Walk into a parts joint and oreder an axle bearing for a sailsbury and see what you get.
Walk in and ask for an axle bearing for an XW sailsbury diff and see the stupid look you get.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
gemini90

Post by gemini90 »

UM IM CONFUSED SO THE SMALL SAILSBURY 178MM FITS IN A GEMINI DIFF WITH NO MODS
iViLe
Regular

Post by iViLe »

Yep that is correct, i know because i have one in mine, but i had to have it shimmed up because it was too loose and whining.
VG30ET + white gemini wagon....
6.0L Gen4 + T56 Powered 64 Chev Belair.
I like burnouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0UdyfvflM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI-vFI-E3U
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Ok, old thread but an update...

All V8 Commodores and the 5 litre competition bred LX & UC Torana ran the large 190mm type Salisbury rear axle.

The 4 & 6 cyl UC Torana as well as VB to early VK Commodore 4 & 6 cyl cars ran the small 178mm Holden Salisbury rear end with 25 spline axles.

The TD-TG Gemini petrol engines cars ran the same 178mm Salisbury centre except the axle gears have 23 spline machining where all other cars had 25 spline axle gears.

Later model VK and all VL ran the Borg Warner BW78 rear axle.

The TX and TC Gemini also ran a Borg Warner rear axle but it is NOT the same as the above mentioned Commodore Borg Warner. It uses the BW68 rear axle, same as is used in many 4 cylinder cars. I wrote about it here.

Now the TX-TC BW68 diff is reasonably tough and a much easier axle to get a range of parts for as in LSD and ratio changes BUT, you still have the issue of a torque tube in a Gemini. You could adapt a different method of mounting the drive shaft from the diff nose so you still have the torque tube at the same time as keeping a gear set complete should you wish to change the 3.899:1 to a 4.1:1 and 4.3:1 out of 120Y, 200B, Corolla, Corona, Cortina to name a few using the BW68.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
ATD79

Post by ATD79 »

Germinator wrote:Ok, old thread but an update...

All V8 Commodores and the 5 litre competition bred LX & UC Torana ran the large 190mm type Salisbury rear axle.

The 4 & 6 cyl UC Torana as well as VB to early VK Commodore 4 & 6 cyl cars ran the small 178mm Holden Salisbury rear end with 25 spline axles.
4.2L SL & SL/E Commodore and UC 4 and 6cyl Torana ran the 178mm,
The A9X Torana and 4.2L SS Commodore/HDTBrock ran the 190mm.

FWIW alot of people are referring to the 178mm as the 8 bolt and the 190mm as the 10 bolt as they have that many bolts holding on the crown wheel to save confusion with the BW diff.

Hope this helps.
hotgemi
Regular

Post by hotgemi »

digging up and old thread a bit here...

I have just removed three diff centres/axles from 2x vh 6cyl commos and a vb 6 cyl. both of which have 23 spline axles identical but longer than gemini axles!
where are these so called 25 spline centres?
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

This is what I was trying to point out in this thread.
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... c&start=15
hotgemi
Regular

Post by hotgemi »

Yeah I know man, There is so much wrong info on this so I had to do the research myself. (and I forgot about reading your input :P)
People are hell bent on them being 25 spline but they most certainly are not!

oh well back to the drawing board on a stronger set-up.
My plan was to use the 25 spline centre with borg warner 25 spline short axles from a vl. the short axles are almost the perfect length for the gem and would not require re-splining.

In a locked situation the extra splines and thicker axle would offer more strength from snapping my current shortened and re-splined commodore axles (5-stud set-up on my car)
oh well, was getting excited for a moment there :(
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The 3.55 large salisbury does exist - I had one on my VC.

They are uncommon because they were the LSD option only on 6 cylinder manuals. They were fitted with disc brakes.

I know it was the larger LSD becasue I had to get a replacement pinion seal and needed the V8 one. It was a Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works Car - and going by the dents in the floor the LSD got a good work out.

This car (complete, straight and original) was sent to a wreckers in Darwin two years ago. I offered it to local ozgem member in Darwin for a token amount but no takers.
hotgemi
Regular

Post by hotgemi »

yeah but what we have found out is there is no 25 spline side gear standard in the small salisbury diffs.
thus blowing my plan out of the water :(