Remote Shifter Conversion

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

Materials Needed:
1. Holden Gemini 1975-1985 TX to TG models
2. Remote Shifter
3. Spacer plate
4. New, longer bolts to attach the shifter (Champion M8 * 30mm from Magnet Mart)
5. Gasket Glue and some gaskets which I made from a Corn Flakes packet
6. 4 normal washers and 4 spring washers

WARNING: Only attempt this conversion if you believe you can do the job competently. Otherwise serious injury or death can occur from vehicle malfunction!

If you have ever driven a Gemini you may have realised that the standard manual gearshift position is in a rather obscure position. I found that the gearshift lever sits too far forward and would be much better if it was slightly further back towards the handbrake.

The following information will help you to relocate your shifter around 100mm further back.

Firstly you need to buy the remote shifter itself. I got mine off a Holden Rodeo which also runs an Isuzu engine and gearbox which means that many parts are interchangeable with Gemini bits (well that’s what I first thought). I’m not sure what year model the shifter was off but I think it was around the late eighties models.

Here is a picture of the shifter on a Gemini 5-speed gearbox.
Note the spacer plate and the back of the shifter touching the g/box

The shifter set me back $100 but I’m sure that you could probably find one cheaper. When I got home I realised that the shifter doesn’t quite bolt onto the g/box without a few modifications. After unbolting the quadrant box to fit the shifter I realised that the shifter bolt holes didn’t quite match up with the holes on the gearbox. The distance between the front holes and the rear holes were wider on the shifter that on the g/box. The simplest fix to this is to put the shifter in a drill press and drill the holes wider so that they line up. Once I had done that I put the shifter back on the g/box and found the next problem. The back end of the shifter hits the top of the rear cover on the g/box and thus a spacer plate is needed. Even if it did fit flush the selector part of the shifter would interfere with the selectors in the g/box because it is too long. So it was time for a trip down to the metal centre for a piece of 6mm aluminium 105*110mm. After drilling holes for the bolts and cutting the centre out I put it on but the selector still interfered with the g/box, so using the bench grinder at work I ground about 3-5mm off the end and now it works perfectly.

Now with that all sorted the only thing to do now is to put the g/box in the car. This will require mods to the transmission tunnel to allow the shifter to be in the right place. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade should help with this task. Once the shifter is in place you will need to fabricate you own rubber boot to fit around the shifter to block out water, dirt and most of all, noise. even with the rubber boot off slightly it can be very loud inside.

Once the gearbox is in the car you will realise that the gearstick is really long seeing it is out of a commercial vehicle so you will need to shorten it somewhat. Your local metal centre should be able to do this.

And voila the shifter conversion is in place.

I haven’t got round to doing this last step, putting the box in the car, yet but will be doing it real soon so I will update this if needs be if I encounter any further difficulties, or if it’s different in any way.

Oh and heres another pic
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

now start making up kits and selling them, you'll have yourself a nice lil business.
ATG23Q
Regular

Post by ATG23Q »

Yes Dean, why dont YOU do that :lol: :wink:
FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

ATG23Q wrote:Yes Dean, why dont YOU do that :lol: :wink:
LOL Leave me alone,...i thought of doing some good in providing this thread and the other one from Hotgemini..

I wish i had one :lol: :lol:
vl_nick
n00b

Post by vl_nick »

just to let you guys know, i wrote this article when i had my gemmy and was on hotgemini.com if you have ay questions feel free to ask but i will need to jog my memory a bit. i can re-supply the photos if you want. i think i still have them
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

none of the photos work.......
Boostin for lyfe!
ice-boy
Chatterbox

kits ktis kits

Post by ice-boy »

make a kit i will buy one lol ey do u think this would fit into the hoel that the auto shifter sits in as it is further back already " im doing a auto to manual conversion"