What's the diff?

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: What's the diff?

Post by Jonno »

Old thread but I was looking for information for my other car.

So end result which was about 8 or 9 months ago now.

We ended up doing this.

TE diff with an 'ultra tight lsd' from CIG
The diff housing itself wasn't that much of a screw around fitting. As mentioned all the mounts and things lined up perfectly. Infact I was able to install pretty much the whole thing on my own with a jack.

I ditched the drum brakes for disc rear end. I ran the factory brake lines to the T piece without any problems. They merged together quite well.
I use VR rear capilers and the old discs off the red car (VL drilled to 4x100)

Torque tube was difficult bit. Basically being a TX we used the whole TX torque tube setup. Switched out the torque tube rubber for a better one and got it rolling.

Runs standard Gemini axles with commodore bearings as well.

I need to redo the handbrake though cause it's not so great anymore.

I will say that TurboGemini.com has all the bits to make the handbrake work I just need the cable and the sleeves to make it all work again.

The difference is night and day, everything is nicer (yeah the 'lsd' makes noise) but doing the brake upgrade and the diff swap made it 10 times more enjoyable to drive.
I'd love to chuck an altra 9 setup in this from here but as for the swap information it's done and works fine.

For what it's worth my TX also runs a Isuzu Truck 1inch master cylinder. Braking on it now is excellent.
And I chose to upgrade my rear brakes because a mate had the majority of the parts lying around and said I could have them.
For the price of getting new shoes and brake cylinders I did the conversion. Also had newish axles setup for the rear car but where the wrong ones so instead of wasting $200 in bearings I smashed them in.

Happy to elaborate on anything here if needed :)
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw