want a cheap LSD in your gem? read this!

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Re: want a cheap LSD in your gem? read this!

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

I don't think commodore centres fit gemini housings, they are a bigger centre ?? Well I've always thought that, , you can get a LSD suited to a gemini diff & get commo axels cut down to size , I don't think it's possible to re spline 25 spline axels to 28 spline ,, would have to start off with 28's in the first place ?? Once again just my thought ,,, easiest way to find the length you need to shorten the commo axels to is to grab a stock gemini axel & bring that to the diff shop.,,
Naukai

Post by Naukai »

Ok so just swap the guts over and shorten the commo axles.

Ash
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Naukai wrote:Okay so there really isn't that much info here except where to take it.

I've picked up a VS LSD rear with disks and as I understand it will bolt straight in to the center of the original Gemini diff with the commodore axles shortened and resplined to 28 or is there more work involved. I doubt the axle housing will fit the gem?

How much do the axle's need to be shortened by?

I was advised that the utes had the lsd rear and it is a 9 bolt as there is one for draining the oil.

Ash

NO n nononononnono NO

the there are NO LSD's from late model commodores the bolt into a gemini housing, not all utes have an LSD rear, unless it's from an optined 6 cylinder or V8 maybe??
the only lsd that fits is rare as hens teeth week as piss and comes from a 6clyinder VC/B/K commodore???

you can cut down the VS LSD differential and axels but you will need to work out a 4-link rear set up or fabriate something to replace the torque tube set up.

I have a VL V8 LSD that I (one day) will cut down to suit my other gemini, and it will be converted to a 4 link rear same as the crummydore with a watts link to replace the pan hard rod.

I think now I would probably go the Altra 9 LSD option...
#Turbocoupe75