want a cheap LSD in your gem? read this!

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
megagem
n00b

Post by megagem »

The VH one will go in but, you got to cut down the axle and redrill the stud pattern etc,.
gem Z/26
n00b

8 bolt lsd conversion

Post by gem Z/26 »

looking for an 8 bolt centre?
ive been researching what conv to do for a while. rang every wreecker in hunter vally to find 1. was told every where i went best of luck havnt seen 1 for 10-15 years. but 9 days after i started to look i found a place that has one and thinks he may have more.
CLASSIC OZ WRECK
toronto nsw
02 4959 4546
in my reserch i have been given mixed opinions on strenght of the centrebut i know that at the $3000-$4000 quotes ive been given to fit hilux diff and like wise to fit vr-vs lsd im expcting to do the 8 bolt conv for aprox $1000 give or take.have been given a quote an been told by langs diffs that it can be done and he has done it before.
will post results and costs here later.
good luck
cheers
matt
AdrenalFixa
n00b

Post by AdrenalFixa »

I have an 8 bolt small salisbury lsd for sale in WA, too scared that the power Ill be running will shred it, so I'm just looking to get roughly what I paid for it, I bought it for $970 off ebay in excellent condition with two shims made out of mild steel ( you would have to get them replicated out of stronger stuff ) and Ill take $900 from ozgem and gemswa members , and its going in the quokka for $950 , that money will go toward my next respray

cheers

Des
iViLe
Regular

Post by iViLe »

I just took the lsd out of my gemini, One of the spider gears is stuck on the pinion shaft and has broken the pinion shaft bolt, I took the springs out and put ones out of a 25spine bw center and then put it back together, seems to be a bit tighter, but will still single wheeler if you do really tight hard donuts, does good drift though, only blown up like 4 sets of tyres and dumped the clutch like 100 times, but I also have a strengthened torque tube extension shaft.
VG30ET + white gemini wagon....
6.0L Gen4 + T56 Powered 64 Chev Belair.
I like burnouts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0UdyfvflM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI-vFI-E3U
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

Hi Guys,

Just a little bit of info on these diffs for those interested.

I have now munched 2 sets of spider gears in the centre. I have a guy who I can get brand new gears off so it hasn't been too much of a hassle. In fact I'm getting quite good at assembling the centre!

I never had this problem in my old Gemini but now obviousely it is becoming an issue in the green car.

So I was thinking why is it not holding up in the green car when it stood up to heaps of punishment in the gold one, I mean it stood up to 100's of burnouts and launches...no problem...

WELL.. the difference is tyres!

apart from having a little more power in the green car (about 20-30HP/50Nm more) the main differnce is I have the 18's with nice tyres.

SO....

My advice would be that if you want to do this conversion. It is a strong centre but there IS a limit.

I'd say maybe a smallish turbo setup or heavily worked NA engine would be safe. and definately needs to have fairly regular tyres behind it. If you start to stick $150+ tyres on each corner you're gonna have too much grip, which will strain the driveline.

So I'm afraid if you are putting say more than 200rwHP through it and you want to race on slicks ect...you might have to spend a bit more for a stronger setup...
for a moderate power output and normal street use I still highly recomend this setup... very easy conversion and very cheap.

Just my opinion based on my experiences...
AdrenalFixa
n00b

Post by AdrenalFixa »

My lsd ( 8 bolt small salisbury) in WA still for sale, it wont pay for my respray now :( it now will pay for the rest of my 4z conversion and microtech install, pm me if anyones keen to buy. New price of $800

cheers
Des
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

First thing i will say and it primarlily directed at/about what sheel said 2 posts above.

If you leave stockers on the back for your gemini you could run a rubber band diff and never have any trouble.

The more grip and hence the more tyre width you have is what will wreck your diff. its nothing to do with HP and torque.

It will break out in wheel spin before it will break.

A guy i know put a 308 into his torana. Ran it round with stockies on it for quite a while, layed big single wheelers wherever he went. He chewed thru the tyres and then came across some 14x7 mags for it. Bang went the banjo. Big difference in grip between a 215 and a 155.

SHEEL wrote:VK's dont come in V6....inline six or V8 were in the VK model.

there are two types of diffs in them too. the V8 has a "10 bolt" identified by the 10 bolts in the diff backplate.

the 6 cylinders have an "8 bolt", yes you guessed it, they have 8 bolts on the back cover.

The 8 bolt lsd's are very hard to find but there are a few.

Naturally there are plenty of 10 bolt LSD's around but they are too big for the gemini. they don't fit.
VK's also swapped to the BW diff late in the production run (tooling up for the VL). That would be the lesser 25 spline and im pretty sure only 6cyl. V8 still had the 10 bolt sailsbury.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Bellys 77
Regular

Post by Bellys 77 »

benofits of an lsd?
mitch.mofo
Chatterbox

Post by mitch.mofo »

do you think that will handle the power of a 150kw commodore engine?
im planning to do a engine conversion for something fast to drive on my p's :D
DTP

Post by DTP »

Hey Guys
Expressions of interest in bolt in mechanical 2 way lsd centres
I have the opportunity to supply approx 20 centres
these will go straight in the existing hemispheres replacing the open spider gears
this is to suit original 23 spline axles.
May also be able to supply to suit 28 spline axles.

Prices will be approx $700

If anyones interested let me know.
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

I could be interested.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

x2 need more info tho.. specs, brand etc..
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Bellys 77
Regular

Post by Bellys 77 »

this to suit stardard centre????

will be interested....
77 GEM WORK IN PROGRESS

65 FORD XP FOR SALE
PM WELCOME

NEW PROJECT!!!
304 injected 5ltr into...
gem wagon
DTP

Post by DTP »

these centres will go straight into gemini hemispheres replacing open spider gears.
either to suit 23 or 28 spline axles.
I am having these made in the near future
i will post all details as soon as they are confirmed with myself
at this time i am just gauging interest so if your keen put your hand up.
greengem85
Chatterbox

Post by greengem85 »

keen