Gemini Manual Gearbox Wiring FINALLY EXPLAINED!!

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Gemini Manual Gearbox Wiring FINALLY EXPLAINED!!

Post by Buggzy »

Here u all go... this will help shed the light on those 4 wires are that connect to the gearbox.

Symptoms:
No reverse lights or reverse lights on when in 3rd and 4th gear and not any other gear( including reverse). Connecting this up wrong will also change the coasting enritcher on the carby, but u will rarely notice this.

Below you can see the small 4-wire loom which i am holding (1).This piece of loom runs down behind the brake master cylinder and down to the top and passenger side of the gearbox.

You can see it joining the main engine bay loom at (2)

The loom consists of 4 wires.. 2 green and 2 red.

The green wires are connected in series with the limit switches on the foot pedals, to the coasting solenoid on carby. This enables the carby to run a bit leaner when in 3 rd and 4 th gears and when u have your foot off both pedals, to save u fuel.

The Red wires are connected in series with ignition switch and the limit switch on gearbox, so when the car is running and you put it in reverse the rear reversing lights turn on.

On the top of the gearbox there is a limit switch with a short lead coming out of it and plugs that will connect to the 4 wire loom we saw earlier. This is the Reversing light switch.

So prove my theory, here are 2 photos showing when i used an ohm meter to see when the switch was activated.

The first one shows the gear shifter in neutral position and a reading of "infinity" on the meter.

This one shows the gear shifter in the reverse position and a reading of 000ohms on the meter. this shows a dead short between the leads, meaning it will let power flow through switch to complete the circuit and make the rear lights glow.
Hope this helps some people!

( mods probably want to add this to the tech section )
Last edited by Buggzy on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boostin for lyfe!
HONES
Regular

Post by HONES »

Mate, that helps alot, apart from the foot pedals as I have a kilometre of wiring all cable tied under there.

Thanks a bunch and I'll let u know how I go.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

no worried dude glad it helped.
Boostin for lyfe!
stocky TG
Chatterbox

Post by stocky TG »

The pictures that you posted Buggzy dont show up, they are red X's

i am finishing off the engine wiring in my TD, just wondering what these 5 wires are for. They are all on the drivers side and split from the main loom before the shock tower. I assume that 2 of the wires would go to the standard Nikki carby and some would have to go to the gearbox (manual).

Looking at the seperated loom, there seems to be two male and 2 female bullet terminals and another connection which has 2 prongs in it, one male and one female (big black one).

Also, is it normal to have the ballist resistor (bottom right of pic) mounted there? When i got the car it wasnt mounted, looked in a TG handbook (dont have a TD one yet) and saw that it was mounted with the coil. Is this a good place to put it or should it be mounted elsewhere?

Pic:

ps: Is there a way to get those pics up?? :P
Pictures say 1000 words!

Adam.
supa mafiosi wrote:so u live in ballarat eh?? is that where the ballet is at ?? muahahaha u f**kin nancy ass tinkle toes princess fairy costume
geminite

Post by geminite »

hey can you re-post this so the pics work properly so we can see whats the go cheers :roll:
do you want me to slow down or come to a complete stop!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bits & Pieces
BANNED

Post by Bits & Pieces »

Last edited by Site Admin, on August 23, 2006
Last edited by Bits & Pieces on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

photos fixed sorry... they were hosted on my old crap server that went bust.
Boostin for lyfe!
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

stocky TG wrote:The pictures that you posted Buggzy dont show up, they are red X's

i am finishing off the engine wiring in my TD, just wondering what these 5 wires are for. They are all on the drivers side and split from the main loom before the shock tower. I assume that 2 of the wires would go to the standard Nikki carby and some would have to go to the gearbox (manual).

Looking at the seperated loom, there seems to be two male and 2 female bullet terminals and another connection which has 2 prongs in it, one male and one female (big black one).

Also, is it normal to have the ballist resistor (bottom right of pic) mounted there? When i got the car it wasnt mounted, looked in a TG handbook (dont have a TD one yet) and saw that it was mounted with the coil. Is this a good place to put it or should it be mounted elsewhere?

Pic:

ps: Is there a way to get those pics up?? :P
Pictures say 1000 words!

Adam.
mount the balast resistor where ever you have room away from heat.. looks fine where u have it.
Hope the pics help.
Boostin for lyfe!
13bGemini
Regular

Post by 13bGemini »

Hey ppl just wondering wen doin the conversion from auto 2 manual u are left over with a few wres which were connected 2 the auto selecto wat do i do with them??
Im A Lebo Guy
In My Gemini
I Got Cuzins
They Come In Dozens

---Mr13BGeMiNi---
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

sorry mate I dont know... at a guess they would just be for a light wouldnt they?? or a neutral start switch? any more details of them?
Boostin for lyfe!
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Some of them will be for the lights however the others are for the nuetral start switch and will have to be connected to allow the car to start.

Not sure which one does what, all i did on my piazza was cut the plug and try briding two wires together until it started.

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Some of them will be for the lights however the others are for the nuetral start switch and will have to be connected to allow the car to start.

Not sure which one does what, all i did on my piazza was cut the plug and try briding two wires together until it started.

Nick-
well the smart thign to do is before you un plug them off the suto shifter just see hwere they connect and what it does.
cant see any harm in bridging them either... just have some fused handy.
Boostin for lyfe!
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Not so easy on a Piazza shifter, considering the wires are concealed inside and behind a welded steel plate. Check for which two wires have power when the key is on ON, from memory im pretty sure it was these two wires that are the switch
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Not so easy on a Piazza shifter, considering the wires are concealed inside and behind a welded steel plate. Check for which two wires have power when the key is on ON, from memory im pretty sure it was these two wires that are the switch
hmm ok.. well i'm sure with all the info above we have at least helped iron out some problems...
Boostin for lyfe!
Jem 12at
Chatterbox

Post by Jem 12at »

Hey i just wired in the reverse lights on my TD wagon, the switch is working on the gearbox, the wiring is properly joined, im getting the right volts, but i still dont have lights. Ive just hooked up to the 2 red wires, is there anything else I should check, anything I couldve missed, except the unlikelyness that both reverse light bulbs have managed to blow? :shock: