torque tube removal

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
JaZZZa
Regular

torque tube removal

Post by JaZZZa »

ok, so you want to get your torque tube out and back in for some reason?

heres the way i do it :)

step 1: undo the four allan key bolts into the front of the diff. take all the bolts out and put them in a pile with eachother. not sure of size, best to get a set if u dont have one already.

step 2: undo the four bolts from the tailshaft to the torque tube. they are bolts with nuts on the end, and pay particular attention to the direction the bolts are facing. In other words, remember what side the nut is on, and what side the bolt is on. normally 12mm.

step 3: undo the two bolts which hold the housing on the front of the torque tube. they mount up on the floor of the car. these are nromally 17mm, however sometimes these are assortment of sizes. when undoing these bolts make sure your body isnt under any part of the torque tube or tailshaft, as in, lay parallel to the cars door or stand to one side.

ONCE STEP 3 IS COMPLETE, BE PREPARED FOR A FALLING TORQUE TUBE. DO NOT PLACE ANY BODY PARTS UNDER THE TORQUE TUBE OR THE TAILSHFT.

step 4: Push the tailshaft into the back of the gearbox, so that the tailshaft and the torque tube seperate from one another.

step 5: remove the rear of the torque tube from the front of the diff slowly. make sure you have a container nearby to catch any diff oil that comes out.

step 6: smile at your handiwork!

to put the torque tube back in....

step 1: place the appropriate end of the torque tube into the front of the diff.

step 2: push the tailshaft into the back of the gearbox and align the torque tube to the tailshaft. this may require some effort :D

step 3: jack the front of the diff up so that the rear of the torque tube is aligned with the front of the diff. Place your four allen key bolts in and do them up as tight as they were when removing (bloddy tight)

step 4: place the four bolts in the same positioning as previously discussed in the roque tube and the tailshaft join. again, do these up as tight as you found them.

step 5: place a jack just behind the mounting assembly on the torque tube, that being the highest point on the torque tube before the mounting assembly.

step 6: jack the torque tube up and align the left mounting bolt and spacer first. once in, olny tighten the bolt in half way.

step 7: jack the toque tube higher again and align the right mounting bolt and spacer. do this bolt up as tight as you found it, then go back to the LHS bolt.

step 8: replace any oil you lost in the diff assembly

step 9: enjoy driving :D

think thats about it...i havent proof read it or anything, im merely recording the steps i went through this morning when doing this procedure. it took me an hour and i had all the appropriate tools, and a pit to work in. expect delays if you are working under a scissor jacked car.

cheers
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

gotta undo the handbrake and sometimes lower the exhaust to get and the top bolt in the drivers side holding the torque tube to the diff :D spot on otherwise!

CHRIS...
gemhead
Long Term Member

Post by gemhead »

macca_loto wrote:gotta undo the handbrake and sometimes lower the exhaust to get and the top bolt in the drivers side holding the torque tube to the diff
f*!kin oath you do thats a c*#t of a bolt
haydo
Chatterbox

Post by haydo »

good post will be doing this soon :D
cheers hayden
TG-8426
n00b

Post by TG-8426 »

when i had to replace mine i just dropped the exhaust tail shaft then fed the tunnel over the cable.
84 TG Sedan 2.6L
td.gem

Post by td.gem »

Did this today. Really helpful thread. What a mission though. Exhaust dropped and hand break cable off. Was then just a matter of lost of wiggling to pull the TT shaft out and keep the tail shaft pushed into the box and have the diff at the right angle.
Hope it's not too hard to get back in. Lol