quick q's....

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
toz17
Regular

quick q's....

Post by toz17 »

im fitting the oil lines and water lines up on my turbo 1600 as we speak, the block off bolt on the turbo side of the block, is this pressureized water? and wich heater hos do i use as a return.
cheers need to know asap.

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
06EMInick

Post by 06EMInick »

yes the bolt on the exhaust side is pressurized water (as it's straight after the water pump). use it for supply then plumb a T piece up to the back of your thermostat somewhere. What inlet manifold is it using?
nut161
Regular

Post by nut161 »

its all pressurized its a closed system.
use one of the heater hose pipes form teh back of the manifold or the front feed on the head and use the return as the bolt u mentioned = least length lines possible. done this a few times with no problems whatsoever.
Current Fleet
G200w itb TD panelvan project (13yrs now)
Previous Gems
CDT S3 turbo and twin tc coupe, XSN20 draw thru nitrous late model coupe, G180w TD Panno, Te sedan piazza/g180 then blow thru g180, Draw Thru TC Sedan, Twin Weber g180 Wagon
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

nut161 wrote:its all pressurized its a closed system.
use one of the heater hose pipes form teh back of the manifold or the front feed on the head and use the return as the bolt u mentioned = least length lines possible. done this a few times with no problems whatsoever.

WTF???

The fitting on the front of the head is the return for the heater.

The drain bung is on the same side of the block as the turbo will be on, (i think its inside the engine mount or close to it) use it as the supply. Its a BSP thread so you can get a brass fitting easy enough. If my memory is right its 3/8 or it could be 1/4. I can check if you need.

Thats using the shortest hose.

The return you could either plumb it in with the hose in the front of the head or go straight to the radiator.
The first one would be easiest if you got a new brass fitting for the front of the head and drilled and tapped a small barb for your hose.
Or take the Radator down and get a barb soldered on to the filler neck (or tank) below any pressure seals for the cap.

Personally i would go with the second option. Reason being that once you switch the motor off and the water pump stops you will still get a good water cycle from the hot water rises theory.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

sorry to bring up an old thread, but would plumbing the water return into the heater hose that enters the firewall on the left (the one that runs to the front of the head) be ok as well? Seems like a more logical place to run the return as it is quite close to the turbo and would only require the hose to be cut and a brass t-piece to be used?

ROTAHAVIK GEM
Long Term Member

Post by ROTAHAVIK GEM »

mine's plumbed from the exhaust side of the block, then i run the return to the thermostat drilled and tapped in using braided lines :wink:

Previously Known As gemzilla1
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The turbo is still in the middle of the motor or close enough.

To the front or the rear is still the same distance.
Id say the rear is a worse idea as it has to go past the hot turbine housing.

You could go in the heater hose at the back. the hose you want is the one that goes to the front of the head not the one that comes from the top rear of the manifold.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

I got some more pics if it helps

3/8 BSP barb fitting from block to turbo, should i get braided line and fittings to prevent heat damage to the hose?

Some other adapters i made up at work this is a 1/8 BSP fitting running to the oil journal on the block it Tees out into the pressure sender, oil gauge and the oil line to the turbo.

This one is a T off the inlet manifold to the brake booster and to the boost gauge. The thread size is 1/2" BSP, i think.

#Turbocoupe75
ROTAHAVIK GEM
Long Term Member

Post by ROTAHAVIK GEM »

that looks fine to me, braided ain't a necessity for what you'd be using it for, but for the extra $$ it looks pretty and last longer..

if ya have a look here >> http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... php?t=3415

you can see where my return goe's and vaguely see the feed side.. :wink:

Previously Known As gemzilla1