4 Pot Front Brake Upgrade, Anyone Done This Conversion?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
paddles
Regular

4 Pot Front Brake Upgrade, Anyone Done This Conversion?

Post by paddles »

Hey guys,

I'm after people who have done a 4 pot vented brake upgrade to the front of a gemini before, preferably a set up that fits under 13's. Does not need to be street legal as it's gonna on a race car.
Currently looking at either a Girling Volvo caliper or FD Rx7, but if someone has found something that works then I'm all ears.

So to anyone with experience in this area I'm after info on;
- Caliper adaption
- Brake rotor, adaption and what to use
- Minimum size wheels you can use with your setup
- Master cylinder, what size bore?
- Is your setup boosted or unboosted?

For reference, I've had a look at this thread:
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... hp?t=14585
Where someone does a conversion with a volvo caliper to some old Opel (kadett?) anyone know if this would be the same for a gemiknee?

Any info would be very much appreciated!
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

I have a TX coupe with Volvo 4 spot calipers, vented discs and standard master cylinder and drum rear with only the standard bias settings.

They fit under 15" rims, you might be able to squeeze them under 14's if your lucky.

This setup was awesome, never had brake fade at mallala or through the hills.

If you want a setup that will fit under 13's have a chat to any one who runs improved production as they have to run the original wheel size,
#Turbocoupe75
nut161
Regular

Post by nut161 »

i have a set on my panno that juuuuust fit in a 13" wheel with spacers so the rim actually sits past not over the caliper. its damn tight but its a drag car so its no biggy. the setup i have is the volvo caliper with custom caliper mounts with either bmw or an audi vented disc.

ill can get pics but they will only be dodgy phone pics.
Current Fleet
G200w itb TD panelvan project (13yrs now)
Previous Gems
CDT S3 turbo and twin tc coupe, XSN20 draw thru nitrous late model coupe, G180w TD Panno, Te sedan piazza/g180 then blow thru g180, Draw Thru TC Sedan, Twin Weber g180 Wagon
cdtpf60
Regular

Post by cdtpf60 »

i'm hoping to get my 4pot setup up and running soon,they fit under 13" wheels but capiper's would be hard to find as i'm running ap's they will run on 259mm rotor's (groupc only allows for a 10percent increase in size).
i'm still trying to find rotor's to suit the car originally ran ap rotor's with large alloy adaptors.
paul
happiness is a cdt pf60 race car
now being worked on!!!!!!!
paddles
Regular

Post by paddles »

turbocoupe75 - Are you running a brake booster? What is the pedal feel like with the standard master cylinder? In IP we're actually allowed to run different wheel sizes (up to 15inch for pre-'86 I think...) but I'm hoping to be able to stick to 13's simply because they're already on the car with semi-slicks, and funding is always an issue! Also, any idea what diameter and width disc you are using?

nut161 - What size spacer are you using and how far out does that sit your front wheels? And same again, do you know the measurements of the disc? Pics would be good if you happen to get a chance.

Thanks very much for the insight guys, anyone else with info please let me know!
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

paddles :)

266 magna rotors and the small 4 spot caliper from the volvo fit under 13's
So to anyone with experience in this area I'm after info on;
- Caliper adaption - standard stub hole enlarged to m12
- Brake rotor, adaption and what to use - 266 magna with a 5mm spacer.
- Minimum size wheels you can use with your setup - 13's baby yeah :)
- Master cylinder, what size bore? - standard tx 7/8
- Is your setup boosted or unboosted? boosted
photo

Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Ive got a pair of 4 spots here off a hilux think they are.
They suit a 19-20mm disc if i remember right.

It wouldnt be that expensive to find a pair.

You could look at a disc off an N13 pulsar.
They are about that thickness, go inside a 13" rim and are 4x100 and slip over the studs. You would probably have to bolt them on from the back. They dont havea real big step and look similar to the magna ones above.

Bob
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Fazio
Regular

Post by Fazio »

fish.. those last ones you posted able to be street legal?
got my te gemi for $220 :)
new coupe... project under construction
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... ight=fazio
paddles
Regular

Post by paddles »

Dave I want to have your babies 8) Let me know if you'd rather I was wearing fishnets or stockings.
When you say the small volvo caliper, is that the girling type? How do you tell it apart from the other type?
And what the testicle is '266 magna'? is that the model of magna or summink?

Thanks also Bob, I'll keep those n13 discs in mind for future reference. Just out of curiosity, any idea how easy the hilux calipers are to adapt to the gem hub?
Fazio
Regular

Post by Fazio »

yeah, which vovlo and how much we looking t spending, also, how do they perform, and master upgrade needed?

cheers
prboy
Regular

Post by prboy »

the best thing to do is to go to the dba website, and they have a catalogue that can be downloaded. measure approximately what size rotor you need to fill the gap between your caliper and the air around it. ie, measure thickness, offset, and also the diameter. the setup i have needs at least a 15" rim, so its no good.
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

paddles wrote:Dave I want to have your babies 8) Let me know if you'd rather I was wearing fishnets or stockings.
When you say the small volvo caliper, is that the girling type? How do you tell it apart from the other type?
And what the testicle is '266 magna'? is that the model of magna or summink?

Thanks also Bob, I'll keep those n13 discs in mind for future reference. Just out of curiosity, any idea how easy the hilux calipers are to adapt to the gem hub?
yOU COULD QUITE POSSIBLY MAKE THOSE STREET legal.

The rotor is the DBA 221SL (TM magna 266mm rotor) and it is the ATE caliper. It has been cross drilled to link the pistons.

Sorry was concentrating on something else.
Fazio
Regular

Post by Fazio »

so does the calpier need modifying to mount up,
and how much better than stock are they?
plus you got any prices,
sorry for so many questions, just very interested
fazio
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

Fazio wrote:so does the calpier need modifying to mount up,
and how much better than stock are they?
plus you got any prices,
sorry for so many questions, just very interested
fazio
No the caliper bracket needed to be tap at M12 and a small spacer (with the M12 thread) welded on. The spacer is about 3mm thick?

Heaps better than stock!!!! no brake fade and the pads are about the same price for geminis.

There also needs a steel plate to be inserted between the hub and the rotor. Its about 3mm thick again. then Have the rotor drill to the PCD of the old gemini rotor and bolt on.

Prices......

Caliper about $150?
Rotor is about $114 each and you want the undrilled one.
plus new brake lines (the metal tubing not the plastic ones) and you could be up for $700 or more bucks. I know its more then the hoppers but it does allow you to run your old rims.
Fazio
Regular

Post by Fazio »

700ish seems pretty reasonable, and the spacer is legal and everything? i have a set of oldschool hotwires that im becoming acustommed to, and the master can stay the same? prices would be cheaper from a wrecker or something yeah?