1.6L head with 2.0L Block

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

1.6L head with 2.0L Block

Post by motorheadmatt »

hey guys
a couple of questions to all you gemini experts........

1) I wanted to know if i can put my G1600 head on a G200 block with no modifactions????.....does this give you more compression?????or is the 2L head better????

2) Will the G200 block sit straight on the normal engine mounts, with no modifcations????

3) Will the G200 block blot straight onto a 5speed box from my 1600

cheers guys,
your help is always appreciated........i already tried the search function it doesnt give me what im after
Greengem20B
Regular

Post by Greengem20B »

1) The G200 head will bolt on,water jackets wont line up as they did with the 1600 head but no big drama.It will increase the compression also....

2) The G200 will have no problems sitting in the engine bay on the original mounts,if its come straight from a Rodeo youll need to swap the sump as the Rodeo dipstick will cause problems with engine mount

3) The manual gearbox will bolt up no worries...

Hope that helps ya a little.....

Cheers

Todd.
QLD - Home Of The Modified Gemini
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

water jacckets not lining up

Post by motorheadmatt »

thanks man, ledgend
Greengem20B wrote:1) The G200 head will bolt on,water jackets wont line up as they did with the 1600 head but no big drama.It will increase the compression also
does it matter about the water jackets do not line up....if not what has to be done to correct this???

cheers
Greengem20B
Regular

Post by Greengem20B »

Ive never had a problem with it....

You can have the jackets welded and ground out to suit if ya wanted to do it properly.

As long as your cooling system is up to scratch should never have a problem.
QLD - Home Of The Modified Gemini
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The additional compression of g161 head on a g200 might be an issue. Particularly if the head has been shaved or the block decked. might tend to blow head gaskets.

One solution is to have the top of the pistons machined or dished to compensate for the reduced combustion chamber size.
GTX gem
Regular

Post by GTX gem »

also g161 clutch won't bolt up to a g200 flywheel
Some say If you tune your radio to 88.4 FM you can actually hear his thoughts. All we know is, he's called The Stig.
motorheadmatt
Chatterbox

clutch from a 1.6 to a 2.0L

Post by motorheadmatt »

wha clutch could i use......one from a G200???
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

If Bob is right about my set up - a standard gemini flywheel will fit a G200
079gem
n00b

2L head on a 1600???

Post by 079gem »

does anyone know if a 2Ltr head will fit a 1600? was hoping to go the opposite way as the previous threads, wanting to lower compression to suit boost?

can this be done? does it/will it work???? anyone done it, or thought about it... im just throwing some ideas around for my turbo 1600, just done a head gasket between 2&3... gotta pull it off anyway!

got a 2L head here???? can anyone advise for/against......

## by the way, its a blow thru setup... just in case that makes any difference##

thanks guys.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Logically yeah I'd say so, G200 head on G161. BUT you don't want to drop compression that much anyway. 8.3:1 (Gemini std) is more than low enough for a pretty huge amount of boost, given the right tune and decent cooling. Anything below 8:1 should be drag-only and will take a century to spool. G200 head on 161 will probably barely run, or run like s*#t. If need be, you can buy 1.6mm copper head gaskets for a G161 off the shelf, I did. Hell, I was trying to sell it for ages, but noone bought it so I'm now going to use it myself. Just get one, then oring block, it'll take whatever you throw at it given a decent lower end and tune.

Flywheels/clutches - all bolt swap between any G***Z/G***W engine. Just match clutch to flywheel, G161 and G180 clutches are probably identical, G200 is bigger (215mm vs. 200mm), will bite harder but as I say, needs to be on a G200 flywheel.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
079gem
n00b

Post by 079gem »

thanks mate. yeah ive thought about the decompression plate idea. might be the way to go? its just that i have a pretty mint 2L head here and was hoping that it might work..

what if i was to shave a little off the 2L head to raise the comp a little? would that help... im running a pretty large turbo( apparently good for 25psi with ext gate) and with my custom manifold it was spooling nicely (aroound 1700rpm).

when turbo/cooler etc was fitted i took it for an "untuned" drive, made over 12psi without any apparent problems. but perhaps this contributed to the head gasket issue.

the motors only a stocker that was 'apparently' rebuilt a while back. maybe the gasket was already on its way out as eveything else seemed to run perfect under high boost. im planning on building a proper engine designed for boost asap. this one was just a project for the xmas holidays :D

i guess ill keep researching and wait for more opinions on my idea, see what happens. ill let you know either way in a few weeks!

thanks for your input.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

You could probably shave the 2lt head, just make sure you have enough valve clearance. Or even shave the block face, should be able to be done. RRP on a 1.6mm copper head gasket should be $138 or so from a cheap place, I paid $200 :evil: and they told me RRP was $300 :evil: :evil:. But it's standalone, not like a decomp. plate where you put a gasket on each side. Just use it on its own with copper head gasket sealant (bonding agent 1207B is sposed to be the best stuff) and preferably o-ring. It's re-usable, and bullet-proof.
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
Wagemwagon
n00b

Re: 1.6L head with 2.0L Block

Post by Wagemwagon »

Which head gasket is better to use the g200 or g161 g200 block with 161 head
Sorry for the hijack