oh and i want a set of those mirrors
dp

http://www.tokiwagroup.com/isuzu/gemini.htm
TE Gemini Pvan. Spares:TE sdn white.
FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

Nice find there Mate..

I Beleive it hasnt been posted on here before..but some pics from it has been..quite interesting in the differences from those ones, to our gems over here
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Excellent find drift_puppy. I must nominate you for a special rank!!! :wink:

Here is the same page in converted English.

It sort of worrys me, the date stamp in the first images... No way known is that a 1952 car!

This is a 1956 Isuzu Hillman.

I suspect the 52/6 and 54/6 should really be 72/6 and 74/6.

I'll snatch that web page anyway and store it in my collection. That way it can be referenced even if the original dies.
Bellett Racer
Regular

Post by Bellett Racer »

Poida wrote:This is a 1956 Isuzu Hillman.
dont want to be a pain poida, but they were actually called an 'Isuzu Minx', not Isuzu Hillman, with the model code 'PH 10', starting in 1953.

for those that dont know, the pommie 'Rootes Group' built Hillman cars, and after the war, they sent the Hillman Minx to Japan, in 'knock-down' (kit) form for Isuzu to build for the Japanese market. they badged them Isuzu Minx.
Isuzu then went on to build the 'Bellel' (YUCK!!) in about 1960, then the MIGHTY BELLETT in late 1963.
as we all know, the japs are the best at copying others designs, and early Isuzu stuff is no different. the Bellel engine, and especially the Bellett engine, look very similar to a Hillman Hunter engine, and even use some common parts, like the timing chain.
then, as we all know, Isuzu then dropped the Bellett in 1973 (i think), and started on the Gemini, which was first badged as an 'Isuzu Bellett-Gemini', in a similar way that Holden badged them as a 'Holden-Isuzu Gemini' for a while.

ohh, and as a matter of interest, most ppl think that the first jap car in oz with an independant rear suspension was the Datsun 1600 in 1968.
WRONG!!
the Bellett was here in 1964. it's just that the 1600 was a better known, and better priced car, so they sold more of them.

ohh, and bet u didn't know that the Bellett GT, when released in 1963, was the FIRST japanese production car to wear the 'GT' badge.
this was a big thing back then, and again, Isuzu beat Datsun/Nissan/Prince and Toyota to the punch by a couple of years...
1/4 mile times are OK for pub bragging rights, but...
REAL race tracks have corners!!
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

soory my slip. Should have been Isuzu-Hillman.

Yeah I know but to most here they would be more familiar with the Hillman badge which was the way even the Minz was presented here. No one heard of them as being Japanese cars. That was not a good marketing ploy in the 1950 after the war between japan and the Ozzies. Still a bit tender back then and the Minx was badged Hillman, a good old English name.

I couldn't find an image of the first PH10. I should have mentioned it though as it was the beginning of the trend in the naming of following Isuzu car series.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Ah... here we are...

Isuzu PH10
Isuzu Motors Ltd. was a pioneer of joint ventures with foreign firms to gain technology and design knowledge. Its experience began before the war with Wolseley. In the post-war years, Isuzu became partners with the English Rootes Group and began manufacturing the Hillman Minx. At this time in Japan, the use of dark colors for cars was very common. The redesigned Hillman adopted a two-tone color that was a welcome change in the car industry.
[Loaned by Isuzu motors Ltd]
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

....and

Image.
A little known fact is that more than one type of Hillman Minx was made in Japan by the Isuzu company.

After World War II Japanese manufacturers entered into Technological Assistance Agreements with car makers from several countries, including the Rootes Group from Britain. Beginning in 1953 Isuzu began making Minxes, although it was not until 1957 that they were able to produce all the parts locally.

(The Japanese, incidentally, drive on the left, as we do in Britain).

The first Japanese Minx was the Isuzu PH10, a 'Mark' Minx. According to information from the Toyota Motor Museum, the car was powered by a 1265cc side-valve engine, producing 37.5hp, had a 4-speed column shift, wheelbase of 2362mm and weighed 962kg.

For those interested in the Series Minx, an interesting variation on the Series II was made by Isuzu in 1959, with side-mouldings as used on the Sunbeam Rapier, but split to suit the Minx's 4-door configuration, an Isuzu bonnet badge and (English) script on the door Minx Super de Luxe. It was advertised as a 6-seater!

In 1962 an estate was produced, unlike any made for the home market: It had the then current Series IIIA front end, but with the smaller Series I - III windscreen and a 2-door body! The rear of the car sported the Series IIIA style fins.

After 1962, however, Isuzu began manufacturing cars of its own design, and production of Japanese Minxes ceased.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Actually, the Hillman Hunter was a favourite of mine way before I ever looked at a Gemini. A very nice car to drive they were. I had a 1970 GT model with the aluminium head and dual CD Stromberg carburettors. They went pretty hard for their day.
Virtual-R

Post by Virtual-R »

The link seems to have become inactive, Just tried loading it now but no luck