some new fields in profile pages....

Got a suggestion or idea to make the forums better or more user friendly. Post it in this forum. Also report any bugs or problems here
Germinator
Long Term Member

some new fields in profile pages....

Post by Germinator »

I know it might seem trivial, even a pain in the arse to implement (not really, its just a bit of simple code that I'm sure Merv would have no trouble doing if he was so inclined to) but maybe a field where members were able to put their age, or even a place for members to note their licence category. Just seems to be a lot of people asking questions that to answer honestly and factually, people need to know if they are P licence holders or under 25.

What point is there going to the effort to help someone with 12 members all contributing a whole heap of info then we find the person asking is on L plates and goes to get their P licence in the next 3 months, if they pass the drive test. Great, we all just told them the ins and outs of how to fit a 4ZC1-T to their car and we now realise 3 pages later they are restricted to a dead stock engine.

If members were to (honestly) post their limitations it would be helpful in providing useful info instead of wasting peoples time giving it wrongly.

It's really important to try and be accurate, the member asking could lose their licence if they take advice here but it turns out the info given only applies to mods suitable for members who have full licences already. In fairness, just expecting people to be aware isn't a realistic option. I like to know we are being helpful to new drivers, not helping them forfeit their licences by not asking all the right questions before we offer answers.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
shyguy

Post by shyguy »

but it makes for great reading the same things on 4 threads cos ppl ask/answer the same things :P~

maybe a "have u tried the search yet?" feature when posting a new thread in tech wouldnt be such a terribad idea

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
var stay=confirm("maybe something liek this? press yes to continue no to search")
if (!stay)
window.location="http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/search.php"
</script>

does javascript work on forums? psh i dunno just a thought
oh the script pops up a box that says "maybe something liek this? press yes to continue no to search" with a ok and cancel option pressing cancel will take u to search :S lol only an idea :P
Staffy
Chatterbox

Post by Staffy »

I vote yes. Good idea. Get an idea of the experience of someone too.
kartracer1841 wrote:...bare mental....bare mental....bare mental...
TD Wagon Custom in progress.....
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Doesnt really matter.

Its just another thing that wont get filled out.

The Admin havent yet put it in play that its compulsory to fill out a location when you sign up, have they???

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Well I'm sure if some ex prison con, dole bludger/traffic controller type nobody can manage to work out how it can be done just by writing a bit of code, the administration team here should have no problem implementing it.

Would you like ME to write the mod for it?? Making it compulsory is a simple thing, making ANY field compulsory at sign up is easy. Adding new fields to the existing standard out of the box ones is also as easy. One of the simplest mods you can do.

It's not about degree of difficulty, it's only about whether the admin here consider it a good idea or not. I personally see it as an important extra info source, knowing where someone stands licence wise NOW has implications to what info is relevant or not.

It's like me offering Rodeobob some gift vouchers for Sussan's fashion stores. Of course had I known Bob was a bloke it would be obvious that was the wrong choice of voucher to buy him... now if the forum program had a compulsory field that the member had to choose between MALE or FEMALE I'd have been able to see at a glance.

Some people might be saying, so what, if the member is 18 (obviously on their P licence) and is asking how to fit a blown 350 Chev engine into their daily driver TX coupe, just tell them. That raises the question of quality of information being posted on the forum.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
headstrong
Regular
Location: putting my pets on facebook because i cbf paying them attention unless its online...

Post by headstrong »

good idea poids.. now lets get a train of people together who actually care... looks like theres me, you, pete, and staffy on the fail train so far...

next stop epic station...

many thanx grant..

by the way i was being serious just in a sarcastic tone...
Scroll down for the meaning of life.
Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

Hahaha! Pete called you headjob! :lol:
Look kids! It's an internet forum!
headstrong
Regular
Location: putting my pets on facebook because i cbf paying them attention unless its online...

Post by headstrong »

IZU069 wrote:Sarcasm aside HeadJob, but I am concerned that Bob would reject a Susann's voucher.
Have I misread Germy, or misread Bob?

And now that I have written that Heady, how sure are you about my PMs? :wink:

Whilst I prefer minimal compulsory fields, this IMO is a very good idea.
It should be explained why the requirement, or maybe rephrased as "license category" - Full, Lunatic, green or pink Parole, etc - after all, this is a non-ageist site, and there are many older wrinklies that are just starting else are back on L's.
And I suppose then the state/region matters? (eg - a 16yo in USA doesn't share our concern - they have higher driver standards thereby not cashing in as we do).

And a warning that if the info provided is false, they may get inappropriate answers - we won't tell them stuff that does apply to their true status.
nothing to do with susan vouchers pete...
me and you both know that poids wont be sending off any vouchers to anyone soon (maybe to spite me) but may i bring up an old scar in the training dvd fiasco.....

im all for the idea... i just merely represented it in pun on the track it will be taking....(poida has stipulated the position of admin alot recently and previously in posts prior to mine and yours) hence my little disclaimer on the sarcasm down the bottom which you seemed to miss....

and good on you for being sure on your sexuality pete im not sure of anything but if it works for you then good luck to you.. doesn't phase me in the least... i just dont wish to be told details on anyones sexual encounters and previous relationships whether it be a man or woman or in between... also couldnt your previous post be seen as sexual harrassment...
but don't worry i wont complain.. ;)
see you out on the 23rd for the cruise?? the wasp has stung many hearts...
much love grant...
headstrong
Regular

Post by headstrong »

Nimbus wrote:Hahaha! Pete called you headjob! :lol:
hahaha i called him pete...
oh wait...
that wasn't a sexual connotation
damn i fail...
headstrong
Regular

Post by headstrong »

IZU069 wrote:
headstrong wrote:me and you both know that poids wont be sending off any vouchers to anyone soon (maybe to spite me) but may i bring up an old scar in the training dvd fiasco.....
ROTFL....
Though I'm not sure if any of those scarred victims are reading this thread.
Cruel!
if read in proper context it refers to the scar on poidas name given to him by the few that did not recieve the dvd and some admin that added and me who picked at it...
no victims where scarred...
headstrong
Regular

Post by headstrong »

IZU069 wrote:Poida scarred? Are you still blaming him....?
Sorry, but the logic defies me.

Unless it was your sister that recently blamed the loss of "Work Choices" on her and so many other recent job losses....?
Then again, all this talk of a "recession" is bullsh, so maybe she has a point.
read it again pete.. the people "that did not recieve the dvd"
also it seems to me that poida is a very thorough man.. doesn't just keep the one manual lying around for reference.. always has a backup... anyway moving on..my sister and her role in "work choices" (mind you i was all for the idea.. it works on paper but doesnt work when it comes to real time negotiation with your employer...)and the fancyful recession (sounds like utter pig flu to me aswell) doesn't answer the question on the wasp's availability on the 23rd of may...