some new fields in profile pages....

Got a suggestion or idea to make the forums better or more user friendly. Post it in this forum. Also report any bugs or problems here
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

IZU069 wrote:Stop confustigating the issue Gene.

It has NOTHING to do with CORRECT information.

It has everything to do with compulsory information.
Or are you telling me the phpBBv2 is so primitive?

Do I have to preempt with further tedium or legal info? (What next?)
wtf.. im not confusing anything... i said it was a good idea and asked hows it gonna get filled in correctly to which i was told "make it compulsory".. which isnt gonna do s*#t.

dont talk to be about php BS, iv already told you i know nothing about it so dont quiz me on it

how does anything have to do with "compulsory info".. wtf is the use/good of "compulsory info" if its not filled in correctly
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

obviously its not.. which means whats the point of having it there then if its not.. nothing.. hence my question in the first place :roll:

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

well instead of making usless posts why dont you just "explain it" :roll:

Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

I think this suggestion is not a bad idea at all.

IZU069, what are you going on about?
It's a piece of cake to add a field to the registration form that is compulsory to fill out. What Gene is saying is why make it compulsory? People who don't want to put in accurate information will just put fake information in, so why not have it optional so the people who want to provide the info can provide it and the people who don't want to provide it don't just put in rubbish which helps no one.

Rodeobob wrote:Doesnt really matter.

Its just another thing that wont get filled out.

The Admin havent yet put it in play that its compulsory to fill out a location when you sign up, have they???

Bob.
That was made compulsory years ago.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

I hear what you are saying Gene. It isn't possible to be certain someone is being honest but most would be. It's the same as other fields like location, collectively it is important to know both location (rules change from state to state) and age (rules change for different ages) and licence category (rules change for different level of licence) so in the big picture it speeds up answers to queries and also makes them more accurate.

If people do show a different location or a different licence type to their real one they only do themselves a disfavor.

I only suggested it as a good idea after seeing so many times when people in Tasmania get advice about modifications requiring MOD plates from someone in Qld for example. Like you know I can fit a V6 Commodore engine to a Gemini in Vic but you can't in Qld so it's pointless for me to suggest that as an option for anyone in Qld.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Provided something doesn't pop up I'll likely implement this tonight.
It will be an optional field :)
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Well Merv, optional sounds fine but it is now a fairly critical thing to know when it comes to giving correct and accurate info just as location is. Why not make it a compulsory field? Some people use bulls*#t location fields like "one metre in front of you" (purely as a fictitious example with no reference to any person) and when it comes to reading that persons queries, if location was an essential part of the query, I'd just skip it because I don't know where they really are.

All we can do is assume people will fill it in accurately and if they don't they only do themselves an injustice and eventually as it becomes known others will encourage them to alter it anyway so it makes it easier for the rest of us in helping them. Location is now compulsory but at first it wasn't so many original members didn't show it, eventually the those members were advised to add location when they posted and 99% now have.

Just my opinion but not making it compulsory sort of defeats the purpose of having it at all.

Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Would you rather have false information than a blank field?

if location was an essential part of the query, I'd just skip it because I don't know where they really are.
If age is an essential part of the query and it's not there then you can just skip it as well.

Seriously... You're getting the field you want implemented and you're still not happy. I'm not going to force people to enter & show their birth date if they dont want to.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Hey do as you please, your site and all.... If you don't think it's a good idea then don't do it. It just seemed the best way to me.

Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Something did pop up last night but I got halfway through implementing this in my lunch break today. Will continue when I get some free time on the weekend and make it live once it's done.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Just out of interest, I never saw anything come of this idea... I can't see a licence category option in the PROFILE options so I am guessing it was cast aside?

stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

merv just probably never found that time. He seems to be a very busy man.
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total