Search Option

Got a suggestion or idea to make the forums better or more user friendly. Post it in this forum. Also report any bugs or problems here
txcoupeluva
Chatterbox

Search Option

Post by txcoupeluva »

ok am i the only person that thinks this bloody search option is useless, tryed searching for heaps of stuff and i got nothing related to it at all just sick of it its really letting this forum down for me.

any suggestions to create a better search option??

cheers Nas
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

The built-in search is very effective if you know how to use it. It's a keyword search rather than a fulltext search.
Search for Keywords:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches
Anyway, try http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/googlesearch.php
I haven't prettied the page up yet, but it works :)
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

I think the big issue is that most people dont know how to use it, and thats where the problem is.

I dont have a problem with it, i know how to use it quite well.
trying to teach that to a poorly educated noob from western sydney is pretty hard though.
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Gemi Coupe wrote:I think the big issue is that most people dont know how to use it, and thats where the problem is.

trying to teach that to a poorly educated noob from western sydney is pretty hard though.
Exactly 8)
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

so are we to assume this option:
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/googlesearch.php
will soon be implemented as an alternative search option button on all pages? Will it be implemented in both tech and non-tech sections?

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

You can assume that yes
geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

I had another idea that you could simply add onto the original search engine. A lot of forums have a search in title option. This would be good to find topics dedicated to your subject.
dbart1961
Long Term Member

Post by dbart1961 »

Gemi Coupe wrote:I think the big issue is that most people dont know how to use it, and thats where the problem is.

I find this comment quite offensive actually even if I dont live in the western suburbs!!
I find the search pretty hard to use even though I am educated mate.
Try posting something a little more useful in future instead of degrading people from West Sydney!
Regards, Dave