TD 4 Jenna new wheels

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
CUTLOW
Regular

TD 4 Jenna new wheels

Post by CUTLOW »

A few people have asked me to put pic's up of my girls TD that I built for her. It was supposed to be a daily but things got out of hand. She always wanted a gem since her brother always had them. You might remember her brothers TX coupe

Ill start from the beginning. Bought this TD smashed front an rear off a member of this forum, was moving house so needed it gone.
It was a clean car back in the day.
Was just a small tap at the front, repaired the bonnet an front apron, but we cut out the beaver an replaced it. New boot lid an rear bumper, and the drivers rear quarter needed to repaired due to being popped.
We welded up the rear seams, up near the rear screen, in the boot, an the bottom of the quarter
As soon as the car came back from being repaired, she had the wheels picked out. (they weren't that common back then)
Next on the list was to change both front floor pans due to rust, and also the bottom of the a pillar
Next the engine bay was blasted, most of the seams and holes were welded up. Just a general tidy up, was supposed to be neat but not a show car. If I'd known then that it wasn't going to be a daily, I would have spent more time here.
The next step was getting the car ready for paint. Because the car was already 2pak we just blocked it back and repaired what we had to.
Because we were using my girlfriend parents shed, we had a bit of a room, and a hoist, so we painted inside the doors, bonnet, boot and engine bay there. Had a few drams with the paint frying but it ended up all good. We used debeers on it because that is what the original paint was. The colour is called bordeaux metallic and is from the Harley Davidson catalogue.
We took it to a booth to paint the outside, her cousin is a painter and did all the bodywork and painting.
We half masked it the night before to get an early start before the heat. The next day was 40 deg an the paint dried super quick but it buffed up decent.
Wen it came back, we painted under the gaurds an the whole floor inside and out in satin black
Next was assembly
TX master an booster
Front suspension, boxed in control arms, new bushes and ball joints, slitted VL discs and VN callipers
Then there was dynamat, we did the whole floor.
Last edited by CUTLOW on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ScR01
Regular

Post by ScR01 »

Looks good, future plans?

Also, how much did the dynamat cost?
Boosted26L
Regular

Post by Boosted26L »

ScR01 wrote:
Also, how much did the dynamat cost?
curious to know what it weighs too

I remember seeing that QIK48U at eastern creek one night. Very nice paint!
CUTLOW
Regular

Post by CUTLOW »

I think the dynamat was $50 a roll?? Cant remember the trimmer organised it at the time. Doesnt weight that much, but i think it was around 10kg's.
The coupe and the sedan were painted by the same person.
CUTLOW
Regular

Post by CUTLOW »

Next on the list was the trim, new underlay new carpet, all new door trims, parcel tray, kick panels.
This is the finished parcel tray, sand and snake skin
I used WRX seats in the front (not recomended, they are too wide), but I made them work. Still use Gemini rails
The door trims flow into each other, even the piller is trimed the same as the doors with the snake skin
The back seat was moulded to look like the front, its now a 4 seater
I used the stock cluster but painted it, and fitted an autometer tach into it. There are to more gauges in the console for fuel and oil pressure
noiseboy7
Chatterbox

Post by noiseboy7 »

I AM IN LOVE
That interior is amazing!!
Looks the goods man :)
Mr_gem
n00b

Post by Mr_gem »

farrrkk yeah this looks insane mate. great job! you got any pics of the outside of the car?
06EMY
Regular

Post by 06EMY »

The attention to detail is second to none mate. Definitely looks the goods.
MY PRIDE AND JOY - "THA ROTOR COUPE"
GEM-DEO
Regular

Post by GEM-DEO »

Still say that colour is intense, might have to look through the Harley colours for some future inspiration ;)

In love with the interior I'd live it there!
Is the boot trimmed to match?
Dylan - 25 - Gold Coast Qld
See You An Tea
charliebrown069
Regular

Post by charliebrown069 »

how did you make the wrx seats fit. i have two here that im waiting to put in my gem but was worried about them not fitting.
CUTLOW
Regular

Post by CUTLOW »

Ill have pics of the boot and rest of the car soon

The seats are offset to one side, they are closer to the piller to clear the tunnel. They have a 40mm spacer in the back to get them to sit nice and flat, they slope to the rear otherwise.
Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

dude tops car the trim looks nuts
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
CUTLOW
Regular

Post by CUTLOW »

We were origionaly going to run the standard 1600, but after a quick pull down showed a damaged bore. I found a g180 block, bored it to a 2L, fly cut the pistons. Comp is 10:1. Ported the head, stage 2 cam, single modified 32/36 and 2.25in exhaust is how it stayed for a while.
To tidy the motor it was all colour coded and the rocker cover was smoothed, coil hidden, exhaust coated and wiring cleaned up.

It ran ok like that for about 6 months, then I found a set of twin 40mm webers for sale on a genuine FET manifold. With everything else the same I put them on and took it for a tune
It made 110hp at the tyres, which is nice to cruise around in. A larger cam and maybe some more comp, eletronic ignition may go in also.

Encyclopedia Ronnie
Long Term Member

Post by Encyclopedia Ronnie »

truley brilliant work that cop car in the last pic seems like trouble
Yes, i do still own my coupe, Yes it is still registered and running and ATM driven daily.

oh and NO its not painted yet
155-low
Regular

Post by 155-low »

THAT"S HOT :)