IPRA Coupe Race Car Project

This Forum is here for each member to post pics of his/her Gemini’s. Keep it to one thread per car.. if you get more pics etc, add them to your existing thread, DO NOT start a new one
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

...thats because I have it. :wink:
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

ahhhh so me see
vinesy92
Regular

Post by vinesy92 »

Fair enough.

Still the car looks real good.
TC Sandpiper Coupe - G180W 5sp
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

Guard cutting to get those 15's on, running wheels with close to 0mm offset on them.

Not sure if its the best way of cutting and shutting guards, but it was my way.
The guard looks warped in this photo, but it actaully finished really well, very straight once I had welded it all up. Just the flares to make next, got a set of CDT ones, but not a huge fan of the shape and they might be a little on the slim side.
THe outer line on the body is the boundary for where the flare can go out to, the inner lines are boundaries for how much i can cut out, i went to 10mm of the maximum.

Got to love CNC, this would have taken me a day to cut manually, the SA63 bellhousing had to be machined down to get the input shaft sit in the spigot bearing and the clutch to go on the spline correctly.
Thanks to C5 Systems for letting me loose on the tools.

Love getting these!
My master cylinders for under the dash.
Went for a set of these for induction now, good starting point at 45mm, plus a heap of meat to cut out if i need a larger throttle, seen them out past 50mm.
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

Just a little update, been overseas for quiet a while, so not much progress.

GJ Drivelines, just finished my tailshaft so for the first time in years the trans and diff are actually connected again.

Wilwood remote mount master cylinders arrived a month ago, clutch and both brakes circuit. Just fit under the dash, but look nicely made.

Just finished most of my engine mounts, just a little cleaning up to do. Much to the disgust to most, I used the diesel gemini cross member and chopped it up to fit new engine mounts that I fabricated. Even though the angles are weird, I moved the mounts as far forward as possible on the chassis to try give the exhaust and starter a little room. The welding isn't great, but the mounts should hold up pretty well, tried to get them as light as possible and although not shown, have sourced some nolathane bushes for the mounts.

Cazz
Regular

Post by Cazz »

Are you allowed to run the 3s in IPRA?

When I looked into the regs for IPRA it stated that you had to use an engine made by the manufacturer that built the standard motor. IE anything Isuzu..

I have an LA Lancer IPRA car which currently has a 2.6 Astron but will be upgrading to a 4G63 in the next 2 years.
You put you left foot in, You put your right foot in , You take your left foot out and you slide it all about!
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

Yeah the 3s block is fine, there have been a few IPRA Gemini's running around with those engines.

Holden sold the Apollo with the 3sfe engine, the rules allow you to use any block that the same manufacturer sold, given you don't change the number of cylinders. So sinice Holden sold a 3s block and the head is free, I can use a 3sfe block and a 3sge head.
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

that would mean you could use a cx20 from an astra provided you could get a rwd box to suit ;)
chrishrt30
n00b

Post by chrishrt30 »

Yeah, I did look at the Family II engines, like the c20xe, I nearly went down the route. I haven't seen too many Gemini's over here with that engine, but there are plenty running around over in Europe with them.

I ended up with the toyota mainly just due to ease of parts and install. The W-series transmissions are such a simple fit and a good start.
Lil Willsy
A Nice Guy

Re: IPRA Coupe Race Car Project

Post by Lil Willsy »

Bit late to the party here, but whats the bore/stroke of the 3sfe in comparison to that of the 3sge? I assume being 3s and 3s they would be almost the same??
cheers, michael.
TD. daily.
TE 2dr
Kevin wills 6/7/08

I Don't Like Hills...
DryftKult
Long Term Member

Post by DryftKult »

they're the same, the difference is the 3sfe has an economy head, that's pretty much the bulk of the differences.
Lil Willsy
A Nice Guy

Post by Lil Willsy »

I tryed doing some online research but cant get a definative answer, would I need ge pistons in the fe block to clear the ge valves with the ge head? Maybe some of the ipra guys with 3s powered gems can answer that one?
TD. daily.
TE 2dr
Kevin wills 6/7/08

I Don't Like Hills...
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

Lil Willsy wrote:I tryed doing some online research but cant get a definative answer, would I need ge pistons in the fe block to clear the ge valves with the ge head? Maybe some of the ipra guys with 3s powered gems can answer that one?
No. Unless you're running gen 3 3sge onward with larger lift cams
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Unlikely to reply but whatever happened with this?
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
DrewZa86
Regular

Post by DrewZa86 »

Lil Willsy wrote:I tryed doing some online research but cant get a definative answer, would I need ge pistons in the fe block to clear the ge valves with the ge head? Maybe some of the ipra guys with 3s powered gems can answer that one?
From what ive read the fe and ge have different valve angles so youd basically need to gut the fe and retro fit ge s*#t. Such a dumb f*!kin loophole to get the same thing as a 3sge into a gem.
danman wrote:Seriously! A field of rape...
Jonno wrote:No gemini is a good investment