Strengthened Torque Tubes - TAKING ORDERS NOW!!

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
FieldEffect
Was dangerous_dave

Post by FieldEffect »

Buggzy wrote:hey fellas sorry to keep you all in suspense. My mate is flat out for the next 7-10 days then he will start. I have one with him now that he is doing and I plan to have a few others there and do a sort of change over thing here at home, I think this will be easiest and will ensure I can get them back to you as soon as possible.

This will happen and its just a matter of waiting a few days hopefully not much longer than a week and it will be all organised.

Just a reminder that while I can pull your torque tube apart and then put it all back together for you, it will cost a little extra for my time and also postage. (Im talking about taking the rubber, bolts and big nut off the shaft, ie so I only receive inner shaft and not the whole alloy assembly etc.. This will be up to you and how handy you are with tools as to if u do it yourself or let me do it..)

Never pulled one apart? Is there much involved to lock the shaft and get the nut off? Special tools like a very decent rattle gun required?
Gemini: Light weight, low cost RWD automotive platform.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

Hey mate... its a bit of a mission but it can be done at home..

Just clamp the shaft in a vise nice and tight... there is a v cut into the nut and a bit of steel which is bent into this to stop it form unscrewing.. just bend this out of the way with a chisel and then get a rattle gun and run the nut off..

A rattle gun is better than a big breaker bar as it will provide more turning torque without the need to hold the shaft and maybe damage it.

cheers,
Nathan
Boostin for lyfe!
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

bumpage... this has not been forgotten and will be happening soon. Am currently looking into making the tube out of chrome moly, which is a much greater grade of steel and which comes in seemless tube and is heaps easier to work with. Will keep you all posted. Still taking down names of those interested.
Boostin for lyfe!
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

If your going to make these up be very carefull with steam pipe,I used a 50mm piece of chrome moly that had a 20mm hole in it(cost me $30) and that never broke and it never will either....

Regards,
Darren
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

gemracing wrote:If your going to make these up be very carefull with steam pipe,I used a 50mm piece of chrome moly that had a 20mm hole in it(cost me $30) and that never broke and it never will either....

Regards,
Darren
yeah my mate isnt happy with the steam pipe one he did first for me.. so he is arranging a chrome moly tube instead. although im happy with mine he doesn't want anyone coming back and sueding him.
Boostin for lyfe!
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

bumpage.. still taking names.. this project is nearly set to go. just finalizing materials.
Boostin for lyfe!
Deanos
Regular

Post by Deanos »

the ones Trent does are rotary welded to aid in balancing and insure a good weld.mine is very hard to tell where its been welded.Alot of people wont touch them because its a drive shaft and if anythin happened it could come bac on them.Ive taken mine to get balanced and it was fine,it wasnt perfect but would have been a waste of time to balance it further.Hey bugzy pity you didnt have this up soona me and Loops gave Trent 6 or 7 shafts to help him out but now i think i should have given them to you.
my blue td
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

FFS
It is a drive shaft. A DRIVE SHAFT!!!
The torque tube is the structure around the drive shaft that joins the diff the the front rubber TORQUE TUBE MOUNT. Either in steel or alloy!!!!!!!!
Thirsty :x
ozzie
Regular

Post by ozzie »

Thirsty wrote:FFS
It is a drive shaft. A DRIVE SHAFT!!!
The torque tube is the structure around the drive shaft that joins the diff the the front rubber TORQUE TUBE MOUNT. Either in steel or alloy!!!!!!!!
Thirsty :x
the tail shaft is also a drive shaft :x so if we call them drive shafts which one are we talking about.

toque tube works for me :roll:
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

G'day...
Agreed...A tail shaft is also a drive shaft. Actually the shaft from the gearbox to the torque tube is also a drive/tailshaft.
The'kin TORQUE TUBE is the TUBE, either alloy or steel {...DOOH!!!}, that the tail/driveshaft runs inside. The torque from a launch is transmitted onto the floor of the car via THE TORQUE TUBE and the rubber mount. If your TORQUE TUBE rubber is stuffed the TORQUE TUBE bangs on the mount and the tail/drive shaft bangs inside the TORQUE TUBE.
Call it what you like, it is still a TORQUE TUBE!!! It acts like tramp bars on a leaf spring rear axled car. e.g. old Fords or Holdens. It is the fourth member of the team that holds the rear bloody end onto the car.
1. Panhard rod
2. A left trailing arm
3. A right trailing arm
4. A BLOODY TORQUE TUBE
If you take that tube off and leave the other parts in place as OEM the car will not drive s**t anywhere.
The drive/tail shaft transmits DRIVE... the torque tube transmits the TORQUE...Call it what you like, it is still a TORQUE TUBE!!! And the pictures are of a tail/drive shaft...Again FFS
Thirsty :) :) :)
Last edited by Thirsty on Thu May 10, 2007 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSIGEM
Long Term Member

Post by PSIGEM »

Point taken, and technically your right, but lets all agree on that and continue to call it a Torque Tube cos then everyone knows which drive shaft ya talking about... and cos were on the net and everyone is lazy instead of saying Torque Tube Drive Shaft we will leave of the Drive shaft bit.
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

G'day.
No stuff that!!!!!!
That is as weak as. Lets be a little serious about this. If you are reinforcing a drive/tail shaft that is what it is, not a torque tube. If you go to an engineering shop your credibility will be NIL if you give the man a drive/tail shaft and ask him to reinforce your TORQUE TUBE. He will wet his pants laughing at you.
If a newbie to Geminis asks a dumb question because he read some dumb s**t on this site he will just reinforce the fact that people are too bloody lazy to find or explain the real facts.
Go to a wrecker and ask for a Torque tube when you really want a drive/tail shaft and you will be treated like a knucklehead. Lets EDUCATE not just continue some thing dumb because it is easy..... Again FFS.
Cheers,
Thirsty
Call it a drive or tail shaft. It is not a Torque Tube. I repeat...It is not a Torque Tube.
Thirsty
:) :) :)
Last edited by Thirsty on Thu May 10, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSIGEM
Long Term Member

Post by PSIGEM »

Actually I went to a wreckers and asked for a Torque tube and they gave me the whole assembly which is what i wanted, I went to an engineering firm and asked how much to have my Torque tube strengthed and he said we use a Chromoly sleeve and its $xxx.xx

You need to put things into Context.. its like asking the wreckers for a gemini diff, they will give u a whole diff if you tell a workshop u want your diff a different ratio they know u want the diff center changed and dont want the diff housing cut down or something..
possessed3t
Regular

Post by possessed3t »

lets agree to disagree

or face the chomp chomp chomp chomp
IF ITS NOT ORANGE.......IT'S A LEMON
ONE wrote: I have been touched by his noodley appendage
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

G'day..
Too right....I disagree.
I agree with that.