sump mod?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
benc33

Post by benc33 »

Na it seems alright so far I have taken it to drifts a couple times and drivin it on the road heaps and have never had a problem
after I had a wheel alignment that is haha
seazer

Post by seazer »

has anyone done the sr sump themselves? any pics or maybe any info on oil pick up
i don't really want to move the rack at all :( after sump mod if i have to i will.
sorry if these issues have already been sorted but i can't find the info.
Heres to swimming with bow legged women
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

The sr sump mod is done to the alloy section of the Sump. Tig welding and major warpage! Not readily done at home. This mod does not affect the oil pick up.

Cheers, matt
redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

I have no idea why people modify the car to fit the sump instead of the sump to fit the car, if you have half an idea it's such a majorly better way to go..
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

just make a sheet metal sump .. and fab up a OIL pickup to suit
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

redzone (coxy) wrote:I have no idea why people modify the car to fit the sump instead of the sump to fit the car, if you have half an idea it's such a majorly better way to go..
It's not always that simple...

When I installed my sr in a td, I had the sump modded as much as possible and I still had bonnet clearance issues. So I had no choice to mod the steering rack (was less than 5mm).

It was either lower rack or lowered custom cross member (and rack) or bonnet bulge. TE-TG much easier as much more room and bonnet height.

Cheers,

Matthew
benc33

Post by benc33 »

I would much rather mod the steering rack then sump unless you were to make the sump bigger because for example with a ca18 they already have troubles with running out of pull in the bottom end little on having l

ess in there from the start
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

benc33 wrote:I would much rather mod the steering rack then sump unless you were to make the sump bigger because for example with a ca18 they already have troubles with running out of pull in the bottom end little on having l

for area removed from the holding space of the sump you should add it back in elsewhere.
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

redzone (coxy)
Long Term Member

Post by redzone (coxy) »

benc33 wrote:I would much rather mod the steering rack then sump unless you were to make the sump bigger because for example with a ca18 they already have troubles with running out of pull in the bottom end little on having l

CA18's run out of oil in the sump because they don't drain oil back from the head easily enough, extending the sump works but it is really just a band aid fix, there are better ways of fixing the problem. But yeah you wouldn't want to make the sump any smaller, also you have to remember a gemini is a rear sump design, nissan engines are usually front sump design..
GARAGE REDZONE sunshine coast ph 07 54433507

1975 TX coupe 4ZD1 efi turbo 10.787 @ 123/128
1977 TC Fashion Pack sedan draw through turbo
1984 TG PF60E dohc Group A racecar
1984 TG Panelvan
2006 Crewman SS 6.0
seazer

Post by seazer »

[quoteIt's not always that simple...

When I installed my sr in a td, I had the sump modded as much as possible and I still had bonnet clearance issues. So I had no choice to mod the steering rack (was less than 5mm).

It was either lower rack or lowered custom cross member (and rack) or bonnet bulge. TE-TG much easier as much more room and bonnet height.

would you have any photos at all??
I dropped it in today to see where it fouls.. the square oil pan is in front of the steering rack??? does it need to go further back? what sort of sway bar did you use? sorry about all the questions :)[/quote]
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

I have pics somewhere. I am sure i have posted them on here before but will try to find them again and post them up. I cut out the first hump in the alloy section of the sump and made it flat. I did not have to touch the steel section of the sump. For sway bar, i made up some solid alloy spacer blocks that effectively lowers bar for steel sump clearance.

ImageImage

Cheers,
Matthew
seazer

Post by seazer »

Cheers heaps OTD 079 that is heaps of help absolute legend :) So with this sump mod did you have any issues? also was the warping happening when its was getting cut, or when it was getting welded? Thanks again man.
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

Sump warped during welding even though it was bolted to the bench - had workshop do this for me. All the usual conversion issues. Booster clearance to intake manifold was my biggest issue.
seazer

Post by seazer »

wow even after being bolted to the bench
:shock:
did you use the gemini booster?
OTD 079
Regular

Post by OTD 079 »

It's running a bitsa brake set up. Best speak with your engineer to see what they will accept. 120y booster is small and Silvia master almost bolts on to it piazza fronts Commodore disc rear.