Gem Roll Cage Suppliers

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Gem13

Gem Roll Cage Suppliers

Post by Gem13 »

Looking for the cheapest option for a roll cage for the gem, will have a go at welding it myself... Not really keen on anything custom, just want to order it & have it delivered.

I did search google but nothing is coming up, just custom cage builders.

No rear seat since its a track car, so it doesn't need to allow for rear passengers if that makes any difference.

Also, you reckon its allowed to add on 2 more points to a 6 point cage (2 extra bars coming forward into the engine bay or does that have t be taken into consideration with the whole design.
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

I'm pretty sure someone had a bolt in 4 point cage for sale on here not to long ago ... And as for adding more points , There shouldn't be anything to take into consideration , the two rear points would tie in to boot chassis , middle two points tie into floor pan behind fronts seats and front two points tie into floor pan infront of dash, then to extend it to the engine bay it just goes off the front downward sections through the firewall to the shock towers
Gem13

Post by Gem13 »

Definitely want a 6 point weld in though...

And hopefully i'll be cutting out the shock towers so it will go down to the front chassis rails / crossmember.

Redline does CAMS apporved 6 point for just over $1000, and has a postal address in Booval which is close by but no shop address, any reviews or better suggestions?
Last edited by Gem13 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Re: Gem Roll Cage Suppliers

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Gem13 wrote:Looking for the cheapest option for a roll cage for the gem, will have a go at welding it myself... Not really keen on anything custom, just want to order it & have it delivered.

I did search google but nothing is coming up, just custom cage builders.

No rear seat since its a track car, so it doesn't need to allow for rear passengers if that makes any difference.

Also, you reckon its allowed to add on 2 more points to a 6 point cage (2 extra bars coming forward into the engine bay or does that have t be taken into consideration with the whole design.
There is no such thing as a cheap roll cage,,,,

If you want to add value to you car build a quality roll cage that can be registered to ANDRA or CAMS rules and complies with a class of racing so the cage has purpose. Money spent on a "DRIFT SPEC" cage is a big waste unless the car is for practice days ect.

I got my cage for my gem as a "kit" from Walker Chassis is Adelaide.
He provided me with the correct grade tube bent to suit my Coupe. I had to cut and notch all tube to the correct size and design the mounts for all the baseplates.
Material alone was around $800. Then add another $400 for wire, gas, consumables and rollcage paddding. The same cage built by a professional would cost around $2500-$3000 easy.

There are Pics on Gemis of my car and Antus's Sedan with a cage from Walker Chassis as well, He could probably arrange freight interstate too??
#Turbocoupe75
Gem13

Re: Gem Roll Cage Suppliers

Post by Gem13 »

Turbocoupe75 wrote: There is no such thing as a cheap roll cage,,,,

If you want to add value to you car build a quality roll cage that can be registered to ANDRA or CAMS rules and complies with a class of racing so the cage has purpose. Money spent on a "DRIFT SPEC" cage is a big waste unless the car is for practice days ect.

I got my cage for my gem as a "kit" from Walker Chassis is Adelaide.
He provided me with the correct grade tube bent to suit my Coupe. I had to cut and notch all tube to the correct size and design the mounts for all the baseplates.
Material alone was around $800. Then add another $400 for wire, gas, consumables and rollcage paddding. The same cage built by a professional would cost around $2500-$3000 easy.

There are Pics on Gemis of my car and Antus's Sedan with a cage from Walker Chassis as well, He could probably arrange freight interstate too??
Oh I see, didn't expect the tubing to cost so much..

As you'll see in my edited post above I did found one close by & from what you've said the pricing sounds pretty good then.

Thanx for your input...
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Probably should explain the $800 more:

That was for all the tubing bent to shape for a 6 point cage, with windscreen brace, roof brace and X bars for the drivers door and all the metal for the floor bracing.
#Turbocoupe75
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

pm Gigantor928 and ask him about his roll cage that was built and plated for his racecar
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
Josh
Long Term Member

Post by Josh »

About 4k for something like this $900 in material
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

Now that's a cage ^^^^^
Gem13

Post by Gem13 »

That's a lot of cash for a 9 second race....
77tc_coupe

Post by 77tc_coupe »

its not a lot of money when you think about it.. when that 9 seconds goes wrong and you put it in a wall that 4 grand just saved your life!! this is all safety equipment that is there to protect your life i would be spending top dollar to make sure everything was perfect. 4 grand for a roll cage isnt much when you compare it to a lifetimes worth of medical bills!
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

Gem13 wrote:That's a lot of cash for a 9 second race....
Why do ppl try to build cars to go fast but try to do it cheap? How much would you say your life is worth ?
Gem13

Post by Gem13 »

I don't doubt the need for a good cage, I just doubt why people like drag racing, since the cage alone costs that much.. :lol:

& maybe I should have said the "cheapest" option, I was aware getting a cage done was worth about 2k+, so the cheap option as others have explained to me, is around 1K.

I've sent a email to Redline to see if there interested to do a gem cage to CAMS specs since they don't list Gemini's for there u-weld kits on there website.

Walkers in Adelaide sounds great - just hate the idea of having to notch it myself - bad notches = bad welding = failed cage!

BTW: Is there any tubing or hollow section inside the rocker panels? or is a cage that good the floor doesn't need reinforcing along the lengh of the car, from front chassis rails to the back rails?

My unedcuated mind come up with something like this for a track / drifter... (pic to come)
Gem13

Post by Gem13 »

Green boxes. is where my wheels will sit.
Purple lines - The engine (actual size) Toyota 1UZ & where i'd like it to sit.
Red lines - hollow sections welded in to strengthen the car.
Yellow squares - roll cage mounting points.
Blue lines - the 4 link bars mounted to the hollow section (red lines).

chassis idea by Huckau, on Flickr
benc33

Post by benc33 »

what diff is in that gemini??