what oil to use ?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
kamgem
Regular

what oil to use ?

Post by kamgem »

hey guys i just had a headgasket done about 1500ks ago and i want to chanhe the oil.what oil should i use?ive been told to use penrite hpr 30.is this a good oil?
ajs991
Long Term Member

Post by ajs991 »

Use a 20w50 grade oil. As long as you dont use cheap s*#t itll be fine. Gem motors arent exactly the pinnacle of engine engineering requiring expensive fancy oils to stop them exploding.
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

I would not bother.

An oil change and filter after 500 km is normal for the rebuilt motor becase the running in the rings etc generates debris. Plus the running in oil is usually non friction modified mineral oil to help the rings bed in.

A head gasket change does not give rise to any processes that would degrade the engine oil.
Tcar7
Regular

Post by Tcar7 »

Penrite is as good as you will get for Gem.
never use Mobil one as it will not "cling" to surfaces
A head gasket change does not give rise to any processes that would degrade the engine oil.
except if Gasket did not come off cleanly and required cleaning/scraping can clog Oil Galleries and contaminate Oil if careless/difficult.
Oil is cheap, change it, Motors are not cheap. :wink:
gemi79te
Regular

Post by gemi79te »

manual says 20w 50 for g161 1979 te
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

Penrite HPR30... Its got zinc in it to help the rockers on the valve stem tips
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
TD_stripes
Regular

Post by TD_stripes »

I have run Nulon 20/50. Thoughts??
I mainly grabbed it because it's an Aussie brand.
kamgem
Regular

Post by kamgem »

yeah i had a look at the nulon 20/50.its semi synthetic.its either the nulon or penrite i will get
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Tcar7 wrote:Penrite is as good as you will get for Gem.
never use Mobil one as it will not "cling" to surfaces
except if Gasket did not come off cleanly and required cleaning/scraping can clog Oil Galleries and contaminate Oil if careless/difficult.
Oil is cheap, change it, Motors are not cheap. :wink:
The only thing wrong with your theory is that the contamination you allude to happens instantly. So you would run the car for 3 minutes, flush everything into the sump and drop the oil - You would not run oil known to be contaminated for 1500 km.

Sure, if you think your oil is sub standard for any reason get rid of it. But x km after a head gasket change is not a service interval in any maintenance manual I have ever seen.
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

You actually do give rise to change oil earlier after head gaskets if it blew.and you got water in the oil. You can never get all the water out and sometimes takes a couple of oil changes close together or running with the oil cap off when hot to release steam...
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

moley wrote:You actually do give rise to change oil earlier after head gaskets if it blew.and you got water in the oil. You can never get all the water out and sometimes takes a couple of oil changes close together or running with the oil cap off when hot to release steam...
If the rocker cover breather is connected it wouldn't take long to get the moisture out because water boils before oil does and it would just get pulled through the inlet tract and burnt away possibly steaming away any carbon deposits as well :wink:

I'm talking light contamination though...

Food for thought I used to boil the moisture out of motorcycle oil because it was expensive and the oil had just been changed, deep creeks pulled some water into PVC system, I wasn't spending another 50 dollars so gave it a heat up on the gas camp stove and yeh it would just collect on the saucepan lid
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

yea its a bit simpler in a Gemini engine I must admit! haha your right. another interesting point, we used to run magnatec diesel in our liberty and wrx race cars because it kept the engine clean and lifters/oil holes clean over the edge and other synthetic s*#t, plus the 5w30 was wearing out bearings and the 15w40 wasn't :D
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
kamgem
Regular

Re: what oil to use ?

Post by kamgem »

ok so is penrite hpr 30 a good oil to use for a gemini thats has had a head gasket done or isit too thick?
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Yes it will be fine, the manual recommends 20w50,

- oil has nothing to do with the head gasket.
#Turbocoupe75
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

I use penrite HPR in mine, I think its perfect for a gemini