304 to gem

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: 304 to gem

Post by Jonno »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:costs involved. 304 i could buy a whole SS that would have everything i need for less then what i could get just the LS engine on its own for.

1UZ would be fine, but again i could get a whole SS for the same price as a manual box and clutch to suit the 1UZ

3800 is looking more likely for easy of swap
SS's are cheap up there?

Last time I looked nothing South of 3k for a runner with everything.
(I wasn't looking too hard though :P)
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

id be looking for something with no rego or damaged. they pop up fairly cheap now that every tugs each other over LS's
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

sly380
Regular

Post by sly380 »

I don't get on much anymore. Is the poo still your drift car??

304 and ecotec will cause all sorts of handling headaches.

Wouldn't an e1 be the easiest option?? Apart from a small amount of wiring it's an easy conversion for you since your already d1. I'm sure all the fancy bits from the d1 will cover the cost of at least 2 e1s
Here we go again😒
TURGEM
Long Term Member

Post by TURGEM »

Get one of the new Yamaha V8s (350hp) ha, that will fit in the gem bay for sure.

It is a V8, If you get a V8 block just make sure its 4 bolt mains, and just upgrade the bolts to studs, in saying that a stock v8 in a gem would be plenty of power for drifting.

What about the Hi-Torque version of the 2.6 rodeo, I rekon those are bulletproof, 1 day id like to try 1 in a gem.
Thats Right Im a Long Term Member
WASTEGATES - WASTE 8S
IF YOU WANNA FLY, GIVE IT MORE P.S.I 8)
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

TURGEM wrote: What about the Hi-Torque version of the 2.6 rodeo, I rekon those are bulletproof
Common misconception.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
TD_stripes
Regular

Post by TD_stripes »

How much are you looking to spend Gene.

My old man has a vs s2 s pak v8 sitting here. He started having problems with it so he had the motor rebuilt and work done on the auto. Immediately after he had dramas with vibration from the diff, now the steering lock/ ignition barrel is stuck.

He is now talking bout getting rid of it.
hotgemi
Regular

Post by hotgemi »

why an 8 man?
go a turbo 4 or 6. get a ca18 rev the ring out of it day in day out!
or an rb20, both disposable motors and can pick one up off someone who is chucking it in the bin!

I have a spare (needs pistons and a hone) and my mate aaron has a spare. my na ca cost me $100 and im pushing 290hp at the wheels with my turbo gear bolted to it.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

sly380 wrote:I don't get on much anymore. Is the poo still your drift car??

304 and ecotec will cause all sorts of handling headaches.

Wouldn't an e1 be the easiest option?? Apart from a small amount of wiring it's an easy conversion for you since your already d1. I'm sure all the fancy bits from the d1 will cover the cost of at least 2 e1s
yeah the poo is still my track hack. being a gemini with flogged out bushes and so on, a slightly heavyer engine is the least of the problems. plus it make it more fun. the skyline drifts on its own basically, but i much prefer to drift/wrestle the gemini

yeah E1 is also on the cards. would stay with the twin carbs though it if did

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

TD_stripes wrote:How much are you looking to spend Gene.

My old man has a vs s2 s pak v8 sitting here. He started having problems with it so he had the motor rebuilt and work done on the auto. Immediately after he had dramas with vibration from the diff, now the steering lock/ ignition barrel is stuck.

He is now talking bout getting rid of it.
i wouldn't realy wanna spend more than 2-3 K on bits and pieces. if it was going to escalate in price for the 8 i would go the v6. would need to be a manual car though

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

hotgemi wrote:why an 8 man?
go a turbo 4 or 6. get a ca18 rev the ring out of it day in day out!
or an rb20, both disposable motors and can pick one up off someone who is chucking it in the bin!

I have a spare (needs pistons and a hone) and my mate aaron has a spare. my na ca cost me $100 and im pushing 290hp at the wheels with my turbo gear bolted to it.
iv got a complete fj20 and box in storage, but i dont really want something modded or turbo at this point. my aim is for an engine relatively stock (EG, a cam and some bolt on stuff) that has a good bit of power. seen as its getting flogged all the time, i want something that relatively lazy. and in a light gemini somethign like the commo v8 or 8 in standard form would be more than enough power.

BAD 44u
Long Term Member

Post by BAD 44u »

ive heard of complete engine box computer 304s for $500 if the motors stuffed through a stroker crank and some cheap piston and rods.
archangel62
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Sorry to get (further) off topic, but I have no information on 304s, so what the hell..

I've gotta say, if I was going to do any hack engine conversion to a track Gemini for great power on a budget, I'd go RB30ET. The response and outright power is phenomenal even for the SOHC, the engines are strong and cost $100 to replace, and there's heaps of parts out there. I don't think they'd be stupidly heavy either. Granted, a straight six is a lot to fit into a Gemini engine bay, but it can be done, especially if you're creative with radiators and intercooling. Even stock NA engines should be good for 100rwkw with a tonne of torque, but slap a turbo on there and you're talking real power. I'd have an RB30ET to drift over an RB25DET, personally.

My mate Justin Codr drives a white Ceffy in ADGP, he has an unopened RB30E+T making over 300rwkw, it's been pretty reliable and goes like a bat out of hell. He can exit tight corners at 2000rpm, and hold the same gear right through to 7000rpm into fast sweepers (ie Tailem Bend). I got to drive it at Mallala and was very impressed.. it's in one of my video edits, hold on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJ8A0BClPk
(Starts with Geminats and Piazza-ing. Ceffy drive is at 5:14, apologies for s*#t driving, it was my first lap and I didn't want to bin it...)
My Gemini drift videos: http://www.youtube.com/PandamoniumDrift
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandamoniumDrift
Current tally: 5 Geminis and a Piazza
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

rb30 would be my first choice, but the straight 6 in a gemini isnt worth the effort/cost in modding the body to make it fit

Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

I reckon keep an eye out for a 2nd hand turbo set up ,,, whatever comes up first , fj,sr etc etc
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:
iv got a complete fj20 and box in storage, but i dont really want something modded or turbo at this point. my aim is for an engine relatively stock (EG, a cam and some bolt on stuff) that has a good bit of power. seen as its getting flogged all the time, i want something that relatively lazy. and in a light gemini somethign like the commo v8 or 8 in standard form would be more than enough power.