te goes to cut out at 2/4 throttle!!!

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
driftenmycapella
n00b

te goes to cut out at 2/4 throttle!!!

Post by driftenmycapella »

Hi I have a 79 Te it has a 32/36 redline weber and a sports exhaust. when I get to about half throttle it just goes to cut out anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Re: te goes to cut out at 2/4 throttle!!!

Post by Jonno »

How's your fuel pump?

Sounds like it could be not getting enough.
Timing could also be an issue
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
driftenmycapella
n00b

fuel is getting there also the spark plugs are black and a bit of fuel comes out the exhaust and I'm pretty sure timing is fine before my new problem it started and idled perfect
TurboGemini

Post by TurboGemini »

Did it only start doing this when you fitted the Weber? Or was the weber running fine all the way to full throttle and then after a while it started to cut out when you would get to half throttle?
www.turbogemini.com
Turbo kits - Brake kits - Blow Through Carby kits - EFI kits
driftenmycapella
n00b

It's always done it a little bit then I got a rebuild kit hoping that it might have something to do with old seals and then it seemed to get worse
TurboGemini

Post by TurboGemini »

In that case, it could be a number of things. To check it properly, you really need to take some measurements, fuel pressure at the carb for a start, and then air/fuel ratios.

Fuel pressure would show a blocked filter, or a bad fuel pump, and if you don't want to go to the trouble of measuring these, you could just take the fuel hose off the carb and let it run into a container. provided you get about 1 litre per minute, and it builds up some sort of pressure if you put your thumb over the end, then it would be enough to keep the fuel bowl full.

The problem sounds more like a jetting issue, because it's always done it to some extent. A measure of a/f ratios would give the answer here. Have you ever had the carb jetted to suit your engine or did you just bolt it on and cross your fingers? :)
www.turbogemini.com
driftenmycapella
n00b

carby has been on it since I got it and it idles and revs perfect until about 3500rpm witch is a guess because I don't have a rpm gage, I've been looking for some where that rebuilds them but can't seem to find any where
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

dizzy siezed. replace dizzy
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
driftenmycapella
n00b

How could it be the dizzy?
TurboGemini

Post by TurboGemini »

If the mechanical advance system has seized up, at about 3000ish rpm you'll feel the engine not being as responsive, as the timing isn't advancing, so it's retarded more than normal. But it won't make it cut out like you describe. I thought this might be an issue too, until I thought what about all the guys running around on locked dizzys at 15deg. They don't cut out, so I don't think its the dizzy.

A cut-out will be either spark or fuel related. You need to start measuring stuff driftencapella, no-one here can tune your engine for you over the internet. You need to know rpm, and air fuel ratios, and learn about your carb so you can change some jets if needed. Otherwise, you need to take it to a workshop who can look at it for you.
www.turbogemini.com