4Z in Gem roll call

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
F3ARED

4Z in Gem roll call

Post by F3ARED »

Hey fellas,

Doing some homework on dropping the 4Z into my car and i need measurements. What i need is someone thats done the swap-mount way [swappning the gemini mounts left to right] to run a tape measure over something for me. Plan on doing mine this way because the engine sits nice and far back.

What i need is the measurement from the front of the gearbox plate to the radiator support where the radiator bolts in.

Nick
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: 4Z in Gem roll call

Post by tobytj »

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... 21&t=29703

Can't give you exactly what you are after but this thread will tell you how to modify stock engine mount brackets to centre the engine perfectly between the wheels.

It will also show mod of the mount to raise of lower the engine height (without adding spacers cos spacers muck things up geometry wise).

Then all you need to do is adjust where the engine sits forward or back. And I suggest for this a test fit engine, with the modified brackets tack welded and the dissy in place (because the dissy clearance of fire wall is usually critical) to confirm the final adjustment needed to the mounting bracket.

Also keep in mind that there is no rule that says an engine has to sit perfectly vertical. A cant of a couple of degrees to the left may help with that dissy clearing and not be an issue with fuel bowl levels in carbys etc.
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Hey Toby,

Was actually flicking through your one just now along with sandys swap run through. Ideally id like to do it leaving the mounts around the standard way as it looks like it can be done/clear the firewall judging by sandys pics, worst case itll be a left to right swap adjusted to sit straight. At the moment im just chasing the measurement so i can see if my hair-brained idea will actually work.

Dizzy clearance wont be an issue, its a 4ZE1 which will be modified to run coil on plug, possibly off the crank pulley. Also no carbies to worry about either.

81 TE Gemini Sedan
LOK15
Gemini Master

Post by LOK15 »

jonno??? paging jonno????
Getting too old for this s*#t!!
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

LOK15 wrote:jonno??? paging jonno????
That's who ive been discussing this with. In a moment of madness he took his 4Z out of his car and put something ugly inside instead :lol:

81 TE Gemini Sedan
goldgem
Regular

Post by goldgem »

I ran my engine mounts around the normal way. I modified the heater fan cover originally because I ran a piazza dizzy. I've since changed to a 4ze1 dizzy with no cap as a crank trigger with coils. it clears the firewall ok (10mm to spare). I'd avoid using the mounts around the wrong way because the gearbox will have to come to far forward. even with the mounts around the correct way the gearbox still had to dome forward 10mm. 4z blocks are shorter at the front and at the rear.
1977 tc gemini
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Yeah i know about the front shorter bit. Overall my 4Z is 525 end to end , vs 615 for my G series. Reckon you could do me a favour and run the tape measure on your car for me?

81 TE Gemini Sedan
goldgem
Regular

Post by goldgem »

Ok, with my engine mounts around the normal way the distance from the gearbox/engine mounting face to the radiator support panel is 695mm. Hope that helps.
1977 tc gemini
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

GeminiCoupe wrote:
LOK15 wrote:jonno??? paging jonno????
That's who ive been discussing this with. In a moment of madness he took his 4Z out of his car and put something practical and will probably not fry 6 zillion headgaskets cause the as I've found out the shitcunt that built the head f*#cked it up and the tuning was ghetto and s*#t instead :lol:
:roll:
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

And I don't have the specific measurements
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals