Rear disc conversion

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: Rear disc conversion

Post by tobytj »

The spacer washer from a gemini seatbelt, welded to a 45mm length of tube makes a good seat for the handbrake cable. It is stepped and partly inserts into the tube.
Hoopers told me years ago to just use the std proportioning valve and see how it goes - so i did. The engineer who certified it said it was cool as long as the backs did not lock up before the fronts. He said to use a variable proportioning valve if I wanted to optimise rear breaking as the standard valve is a bit conservative.

As far as residual pressure for drums, pretty sure that the valve and spring for that are located at the outlet for the std Gemini Tx master cylinder (if using that set up) and you have to change the valve/washer for one with a hole it.

I have two rear brake systems running on TX masted and one set up running on the Isuzu truck masted all on TX boosters. No issues with any of it except the wagon was had clearance issue on the rear hose.
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

I have a pic and a break down of the 2 different valves but the stupid 1mb max upload won't let me post it!
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Send it to my email and ill upload it for you.

Always wondered if that wasnt the part [residual valve] that was screwy on my car - the old bloke that had it before me was an ex mechanic [arent they all] and played with the braking system to cure the rear locking that early Geminis were known for. I take it no one told him it was pretty much cured when RTS rolled around but i digress - it somehow ended up with some obscure Torana wheel cylinder in its place. Cant remember the model but it was a f cking prick tracking cylinders down last time it needed it. Its ALWAYS prematurely locked front brakes at pedal pressures it should be nowhere near locking, and has zero modulation.

N-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

Good thing with the tube etc
Nick texted you the pic
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

81 TE Gemini Sedan
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

F3ARED wrote:Regarding the HZ prop valve, give Super Stop in VIC a call - 1300 77 7867 and ask for Goce [pronounced Got-se]; tell him Nick Seki sent you. If he tells you he cant find it, it literally does not exist - hes been able to get Piazza discs for a long time even though they have apparently been NLA for 15yrs. Was about to add not to forget the spigot/spacer ring when doing the VL rear disc to locate it onto the axle, but seeing as your doing the Altra9 it wont matter as they already have a larger lip to suit the VL disc.
Turbocoupe75 wrote: It's easier to install an after market proportioning or limiting valve so you can dial in more or less rear brake, for a track car it's essential.
My set up is Volvo 4 spot, bmw disc, VL disc rear and 1" master... It's awesome!!!
Which model disc dude? Everything ive looked at briefly on the BDA catalog for BMW has a hat height thats way too tall, unless your setup as a floating disc?

Might not be BMW, it's the disc used in the setup engineered by Dennis Mobbs. Possibly Magna or Honda.

Cheers
#Turbocoupe75
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Magna and/or Honda are pretty likely alternatives. If its been machined [the hub that is] a decent amount to make the disc hub-centric, then itll be a honda disc [they run something like a 64mm centrebore]. Any idea what size the discs on yours are?

81 TE Gemini Sedan