lower balljoint taper

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
nut161
Regular

lower balljoint taper

Post by nut161 »

does anyone know what the gem front lower balljoint taper is? looking for a longer balljoint, have found aftermarket but cant confirm without the taper.
Current Fleet
G200w itb TD panelvan project (13yrs now)
Previous Gems
CDT S3 turbo and twin tc coupe, XSN20 draw thru nitrous late model coupe, G180w TD Panno, Te sedan piazza/g180 then blow thru g180, Draw Thru TC Sedan, Twin Weber g180 Wagon
F3ARED

Re: lower balljoint taper

Post by F3ARED »

No idea, but interested as well if you find out. Have been looking at getting bump steer correctors machined up.

Have you got one out you can measure?
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
nut161
Regular

Post by nut161 »

have one somewhere i can dig out to measure, was hoping someone might know to confirm any measurements.
how where you going to go about machining correctors? from what ive found out the balljoint needs to lengthen to keep the pivot in the same place for our orientation balljoint, cant just raise the balljoint up and lower the arm.
Current Fleet
G200w itb TD panelvan project (13yrs now)
Previous Gems
CDT S3 turbo and twin tc coupe, XSN20 draw thru nitrous late model coupe, G180w TD Panno, Te sedan piazza/g180 then blow thru g180, Draw Thru TC Sedan, Twin Weber g180 Wagon
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Havent put massive amounts of thought into it as Im not quite at that point just yet so bare with me, still finishing my brake conversion bits. Was something i was prepared to live with until I found a round about in my estate that exagerates the problem which is when i started digging around a bit. After looking at a few different types the "best" way ive found in terms of easily achievable for a Gemini is as per the picture below:

Found the same setup in use on a ZZ/R in Japan [ignore the control arms - still using a gemini stub axle]

Would be fine for a circuit car, my problem is I need to do some more homework on it and see how suitable it is for a street car. Can get those rose joints with rubber bushes now, its just a matter of how much movement is available in the rose joint itself and wether or not it would bottom out through normal suspension travel/movement
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

That's interesting nick, would be good to fab up custom top and bottom wish bones but that ain't happening any time soon!
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564