Turbo Hyperthetical

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

what about the 180sx's? they had ca18det's in them but i am unsure if they wre imports or not.

also, 20mm of shaft play is f*!kin excessive mate, are you sure he didnt mean 2mm? if its 20mm than stay the hell away from it because alot of material would have come off the rotor to give it that much play, and it will all be in the top of the pistons. the bearings would be flogged too and all the material that came off them will be in the engine oil. it sounds nasty to me.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Yer he could be wrong.

He said around 20mm play so he may been over estamating.

The guy said it was working fine he loost boost white smoke came out the back and he did not touch it just upgraded the motor to a rb.

How do I check for shaft play properly when he comes over tomorrow?
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

to do it properly you sorta need to put a dial gauge on the the end of the shaft and measure axial and radial movement. most manufacturers have a tolorence of 5-10 thou end float, and the same for radial, but this does vary.

but in your case, if it has 20mm of play, then there would be nearly nothing left of the blades, so just check them and if their intact, then its probably 2mm. if it touches and of the blades on either of the covers than the turbo is shagged, and with 2mm of play it would more than like be touching the covers. the normal clearance between wheel and cover is usually .5mm.

what i suggest you do is just move the rotor in any direction you can with your fingers, if you hear it scraping on the covers, the turbo's f*#cked. if you hear nothing and it still spins, then its probably just seals.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Cool.....

For the price, I cant really complain.

The guy sounds pretty genuine.

By the sounds of it he wanted to keep but needs the dosh to fund his upgrade and finish it.

So hopefully just the turbo is stuffed and I am on way.
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

oh well, good luck mate. i got plenty of turbo's for sale if you end up needin one.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Got any T25's?

How much are they worth....

Thats the least of the problems, hopefully the motor and gbox are intact as well :)
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

how much you willing to spend? you give me your price range and ill see what i can do. if the turbo thats on the engine is truly f*#cked, then be very weary of the engine. it more than likely would have ingested most of the missng parts of the comp wheel. and that as far as im concerned is pretty goddam bad.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Stop scaring me :)

We will find out tomorrow.
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

sorry matey :D , im just warning ya thats all.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Okay got the motor...

It looks clean as, I am quite surprised.

It has everything on it, coil packs starter alternator air box piping everything except for the fridge.

The turbo is stuffed though big time. You can move the wheel from left to right pretty freely.

It does not look like the fan thing has broken much of it just looks bent out of shape on the fins. IF you spin it it makes no noise but is just loose and the fins look bent.

There is also oil through out the cooler and the pipes which needs a good clean.

The motor though is clean as. The water was green as green as coolant can be. The oil is clean and nearly perfect. I will drain the oil tomorrow through a strainer and see if anything comes out (ie: metal of any sort). Even came with the intercooler and piping for it.

I am going to take the turbo to a shop tomorrow and get them to have a look see.
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

The compressor blades aren't straight to begin with..
If you push it to the side and rotate it if it doesn't touch the housing then that's a good sign.
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

Ill post a pic....

As you can tell I do not know much about turbo's just the good old g series.

If you move it left to righ it does not touch or scrape. But at the very tops of the fins they are a little white only a touch from where they have been rubbing a bit.

I did as tx240 and yourself did, I spin it and it spins freely with no noise just a bit of oil coming out.
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

well it may just be the seals if you cant hear any noises, but go to the turbo shop and have them check it anyway. let me know what they quote ya to fix it if it can be fixed, depending on who you go to i should be able to beat the price. or i could just sell ya somthin with some more balls :D .
sniper007
Regular

Post by sniper007 »

More balls?

What are you implying :shock:

In all honesty I will be upgrading as soon as it starts and I hear the motor running. Till then I will keep it stock and save cash in case a forgey rebuild is on the cards. 8)

Like I said before but I can move the shaft thing from left to right quite freely? Is that normal or what?
tx240
Regular

Post by tx240 »

from what you described it does sound excessive but if you push the comp wheel hard to one side can you make it touch the cover? if not than its probably not very bad. may just need a basic rebuild with an oversize seal ring, kit and a balance. shouldnt cost more than $650 at the max if thats the case.